• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with Taming Macros

S

swateam46

Greetings all..
I am a returning player that needs help setting up the right commands for taming.
I was accustomed to being a "lead" style tamer, no tricks, just a good resist suit and much good fortune.
I have noticed that most tamers use para, then invis, what type of jewels, magery and so forth would that require?

Thanks agian for any assistance

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I don't think jewelry does have anything to do with macros... Please let's start with this crucial piece of information:
Do you use Classic Client or Enhanced Client (aka "Stygian Abyss / SA Client / 3D client / 2.5D client")?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, swateam, I find it much easier to lead-tame. It seems I'm the only one that lead-tames cu sidhes anymore. Most people I see taming them on Atlantic are para/invis taming. Now - paralyzing the cu leads to a subjugation penalty, unless I've missed something where that no longer exists. I can't imagine any reason why I'd want to voluntarily decrease a pet's potential max strength, dex, and int (thereby affecting hit points, stamina, and mana). If your pet is your weapon, taming it with a penalty just seems hugely detrimental.

I also lead-tame nightmares, gdragons, and rune beetles - with the help of peacemaking, which doesn't cause a subjugation penalty.

Unless you don't mind the penalty on your pets, I'd recommend sticking to your original method of lead taming. But if you do want to para/invis tame, you'd need to be able to reliably cast level 6 spells. I would just set up a macro for each of the 2 spells set to target self, and make sure you have max faster casting on your suit (to decrease the delay in spell effect).

S

swateam46

Kitiara,
Thanks so much for your feedback !!! I too thought that there may be a penalty for the alternate way, I'll stick to what I know best .....Also, I use your pet taming calculator all the time....what a wonderful contribution...YOU ROCK !!!

S

swateam46

kRUXCg7,
Thank you for also replying,
I use Classic client only (Stygian Abyss .)

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
swateam46 - in this case I recommend buying the approved third party application UOAssist. You can set macros to heal individual pets and watch your supply of bandages with the top title space of your UO game window.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Para taming I've only used on cu sidhe while I was farming the spawn - if they're going to die then you don't care about the extra skill penalty. I've never para tamed anything else tbh, it's simply not necessary.

I've always been a lead tamer, and it works on everything. It's a bit tougher with greater dragons, but it still works.

I have very basic macros - one is set to use taming skill on the last target and I hold that down while walking in front of the pet. You can also have a version that repeats the two lines in UOA or through the Enhanced client. Play around and use whatever works for you.

The next is my heal self macro - for obvious reasons. It's handy if you have some HP regen and increase your hits a bit too. Along with resists it gives you more time taming before you need to heal.

Then I have an invis self macro. It's very useful generally, but with greater draggies, even if you beat them down to a sliver of health they'll heal back up fast! Rather than constantly having to heal while they roast me, what I do is rush up to the draggy with my invis precast... drop it on myself when I reach his feet. Then I'll start trying to tame and I keep hitting that invis self macro. You will get revealed, both by your taming words of power and the draggy itself, but it gives you a couple of seconds before he "notices" your revealed self and you can again land an invis on yourself.

The only things I need for my invis taming are a) good mana regen/low mana cost items in your suit.
b) meditation skill is very useful but you can live without it. c) faster cast/faster cast recovery properties so you can get those spells off quickly.

Wenchy

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always para tame cu's....much faster than lead taming and who cares about the skill penalty as they can't go past GM anyway, so there's no "real" penalty, just a bit longer in training. I farm them way faster than lead tamers, so it works better for me. With that said, it's been a while since I bothered working cu's. Just my method, others prefer lead taming them.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aibal - it's not a skill penalty. It's a stat penalty for subjugation.
Funny. I've NEVER had one not work back to what it would be post tame without the para. Either I'm extremely lucky or it simply hasn't affected my tamers the same as others.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Funny. I've NEVER had one not work back to what it would be post tame without the para. Either I'm extremely lucky or it simply hasn't affected my tamers the same as others.
The most noticable sub penalty I have seen is in str and hp's. I have noticed when para taming I get ALOT less 600 hp Cu's. Could just be that fickle RNG too tho.