• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Help with PvP Archer Template???????????

• Thread starter Kyrie_Elaison
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
K

Kyrie_Elaison

Can someone please help me figure out what the best PvP archer template would be for me?

I'm starting a new character from scratch.

Thank you.

:bowdown:

G

GFY

Archery 120
Tactics 100
Anatomy 100
Bushido 120
Healing 90
Chivalry 80
Resist 120

You can add 20 points of any skill in items to reach this level, and you'll love the template.

I do fairly well with this set up.

Ninja archers with stealth and hiding are also popular.

Archery 120
Ninja 120
Hiding 100
Stealth 80
Tactics 120
Anatomy 120
Tracking 60

I have a friend that runs a straight paladin archer and he does well also.

Archery 120
Chivalry 120
Tactics 120
Anatomy 120
Chivalry 120
Resist Spell 120

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Thanks for the help.

Someone else I know suggested that I use poison.

How would you add gm poison to that scenario?

Would I still be alright with just Cleanse by Fire, Close Wounds, and Confidence?

With a balanced bow I could still use pots, and then petals help with poison as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Right now I have;

Anatomy
Archery
Bushido
Chivalry
Focus
Healing
Poison
Tactics

I started the char from scratch, so I am working those skills up in case I need them. Whatever I don't need I'll just stone.

Any ideas here??????????

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why poisoning or focus? Don't need either of those for an archer setup...unless you want to sacrifice bushido....based on what skills you showed.

I would have to say there is no "best" PvP template setup. All the ones GFY said are good as well. It's all in your tactics and what you do that makes you effective or not. Some people just aren't good PvP'er's since they do not have good tactics.

You can run a stealth archer, chiv archer, sammy archer, necro archer...whatever whatever...it's like the saying time is money.

Necro archer you would need good LRC suit and a phenomenal setup. Few can set one up properly and be effective due to everything you need to have for a good setup.

If you like hit and run tactics, stealth or sammy archer are good.

I wouldn't rely on chivalry or confidence for healing but that's my 2 cents. For the pally archer you would need a few great weapons and 4/6 casting. Can get by with 3/3 but more the merrier. More = more effective.

You have bushido, so you seem to have already leaned towards the sammy template so I would advise that.

Poisoning you can have 80 poisoning but not as effective as GM for deadly poison. Seems like a waste of points to me on an archer template but you could go like this:

Archery 120
Poison 100
Tactics 120
Healing 90
Anatomy100
Resist 120
Chivalry 70

You might also laugh, BUT...you could have a disarm archer/poisoner. Would go something like this:

Weapon 120
Archery 120
Resist 120
Tactics 100
Anatomy 90
Healing 90
Poisoning 80

Anyways, these give you an idea. Both are effective...I've run both BUT...basically, you will always do without a skill you probably wanted instead...maybe. Depends on your style/tactics.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Thanks for the reply Diomedes. Gives me a lot to think about.

Forgot to ask, what about stats?

Right now I have 91 Strength, 125 Dex, and only 15 Int. My char is human.

Should I split my remaining 25 between Int and Stregth, or put it all to Strength?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stats I'm no master at. I constantly adjust stats based on the equipment I have. Case in point arms with +6 stamina and MR2 along with legs +8 stamina.

I have always been a firm believer of having a high strength setup. Most would probably disagree with me but seems easier to find o.k. to GOOD armor with stamina and/or mana bonus on it depending on what you need.

Really the tricky thing I would say is how much specials you plan on doing will determine how much INT you ULTIMATELY...would want to have.

Might be old data?...but, you used to be able to lower your mana requirement (i.e. use) by 1/2 when having GM poisoning. That ONLY applies to infectious strike...lol, not all of your moves.

Additionally just remember...unless it's changed, that the higher the poisoning you have the lower the tick damage is...in terms of how FAST the damage goes.

The main thing is...how difficult it really is to cure.

G

GFY

Thanks for the reply Diomedes. Gives me a lot to think about.

Forgot to ask, what about stats?

Right now I have 91 Strength, 125 Dex, and only 15 Int. My char is human.

Should I split my remaining 25 between Int and Stregth, or put it all to Strength?
You asked about poisoning so I'll answer that first. For an archer it's kind of a waist. The amount of poison is lowered one category to make up for archery's range attack. You'll never be able to do lethal poison and if you stop at 80 you'll only be able to greater poison. Most archers don't have poisoning on their template. Ninja's however get a plus from ninja belts. They can use shirkins or darts to deadly poison without having to have the poison skill. They just need a poisoner to apply the poison to a full belt. If your looking into poisoning this might be a way for you to go.

As far as stats go, You need to max out your dex, which you have. Then you need as much strength as possible, for max number of hit points. Then you need to think about mana and what specials you'll be using. This way you can make sure you have as much mana as possible in most situations. If you don't have spell resist on your template mana drain and mana vampire are 2 spells that can ruin your day. You need to make sure you have decent mana regen on your suit, 40 LMC, and a good mana leech weapon. These 3 things should give you a decent amount of mana in most situations. The only thing that might give you trouble is a mage draining mana and having 120 wrestling and 45 DCI. These guys are a real pain to deal with because you don't hit them too often and they can keep your mana drained.

Also as Diomedes Artega said tactics, (how you run your template, not the skill) decide most battles. Know your template, know what your trying to do, and know how to heal through most situations, and you'll do well in PVP.

Lastly, I have a Bushido archer that does both pvp and pvm. He's a secondary character for me and I don't put as much time and gold into him as I could. That being said he does fairly well in pvp and very well in pvm. He has no skills above 115 and he's managed to get Knight on Justice. It really matters how you play not how much you spend on your template. Practice pvping against different kinds of templates figure out what works best for you and use those moves as a starting point. Remember to mix it up a bit because if you attack the same way all the time you'll become predictable. Knowing what your opponent is going to do is a good way to figure out how to beat them.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Ok this is what I thought I would go with (per GFY's suggestion);

Archery 120
Tactics 100
Anatomy 100
Bushido 120
Healing 90
Chivalry 80
Resist 120

My Stats are currently 110 Strength, 125 Dex, and 30 Int.

I plan on wearing Darkwood Armor which has all 70's resist, Reflect Physical Damage 25%, Strength Increase 10, Hit Point Regen 10, Defense Chance Increase 30%.

Not sure what to get for my jewels. I'm pretty sure I need to find MR and LMC to compensate for the low Intelligence.

I'm using a human so I will use the faction earrings that let you wear elf items.

Any further suggestions? I'm hoping this char will work both for PVP and PVM.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said earlier, it's a nice defensive template in nature. With good combination/job knowledge and tactics...you will take down many a foe. I would look at what you have and make sure to get as close to 45 HCI as you can. Defense chance increase never hurts either...call me an equilibriumist or what have you...I like having both on a PvP archer. Just PvM purposes though and in general...you should stack as much HCI as you can. Ring of vile maybe if you don't have anything better with HCI. Use bows with HCI as well if you are short in that department.

G

GFY

Ok this is what I thought I would go with (per GFY's suggestion);

Archery 120
Tactics 100
Anatomy 100
Bushido 120
Healing 90
Chivalry 80
Resist 120

My Stats are currently 110 Strength, 125 Dex, and 30 Int.

I plan on wearing Darkwood Armor which has all 70's resist, Reflect Physical Damage 25%, Strength Increase 10, Hit Point Regen 10, Defense Chance Increase 30%.

Not sure what to get for my jewels. I'm pretty sure I need to find MR and LMC to compensate for the low Intelligence.

I'm using a human so I will use the faction earrings that let you wear elf items.

This looks like a very good starting point. I like having healing on my archer so I can stand next to a friend and cross heal for 2 second heals. Makes 2 people working together very hard to kill.

I'm not a big fan of the darkwood suit however. I always pieced together my own armor and use that to get extras in Mana increase, mana regen, hci, dci, etc... I would play with the suit you have while putting together a really kicking suit using crafted pieces and a few artifacts. I usually try to start with a Rune beetle carapace and storm grips.

A good strategy for a ABC archer in pvp is to use a piece that give HLD. Use lightning strike for max HCI until the HLD special goes off. Then when your target is easier to hit switch to a heavy hitting special.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought having poisoning on an archer also increased the level of poison for serpent arrow, but then again it does seem like a waste of skill points for one special on one bow, especially when you consider that the person your fighting is probably chugging greater cure pots and cleanse by fire faster than you could poison them.

Not a fan of the darkwood suit either for PVP. Sure it can help you stay alive, but your giving up LMC and mana regen, so odds are you will be out of mana pretty quick. If your going into factions, you might try using the fey leggings they have 20% DCI, and as GFY posted, throw in the faction rune beetle carapace for LMC and regen and faction stormgrips have HCI +10 (all 3 of these just require level 1 in factions).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poisoning isn't bad to have...I gave 2 examples of templates that have worked for me. GM poisoning means more tries to get rid of the status effect unless you have high enough of skill or good enough methodologies to deal with it.

I would agree with the other 2. I when I was PvPing when the ML edition came out, I tried out a darkwood suit set. As Kellgory has mentioned...and GFY, what I will say is this. You can make a better suit on your own than that. I sold the set after trying it out for a week.

The suit was not worth it and I would run out of mana too fast. I now use a setup with almost 100 mana coupled with max dexterity and almost max strength. Hard to go wrong there.

Mana is key since you...really won't be killing a whole lot if you run out of mana before your opponent.

Chugging pots is not the answer and be all end all of it all. If you have the beginning mana and never run out to begin with, you can macro in much more applicable...and feasible equipment.

Case in point about the Hit Lower Defense...it's a very good idea and I highly recommend it as well. Just remember it won't stack additively if you are using Mace and Shield glasses. The addition would = say...65% or so. Not 80% if you used M&S which is 30 + 50% on a bow.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Well I'm not wearing Darkwood that's for sure. It's great for resists, but with no MR it won't work.

C

Connor_Graham

Well I'm not wearing Darkwood that's for sure. It's great for resists, but with no MR it won't work.
That's exactly why mine sits in a chest collecting dust. I even went so far as to make the chest and legs from Ash instead of Bloodwood so that it would not only still be all 70's in Vamp form, but would also not be overly heavy while fighting Dreadhorn after he hits you with his curse.

Was a complete waste of peerless mats, not to mention the wood.

drawn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 archery
120 bushido
120 tactics
120 anatomy
100 heal
70 med
70 chiv

2 artie pieces - Spirit of Totem and Rune Beetle Carpace

with med and a total of 7 MR on pieces (add 20 focus from JOAT human focus) you have 15 MR

Rest of armor - legs, sleeves, gloves and gorget find with +8 stamina and LMC if possible- +8 stamina VERY important

Ring / Brace total of 50 EP with HCI and DI

Bows- Composite & Balanced is preferred (needed to make template work)

with pots cap Dex at 150 and str at 100. rest into mana-

If done correctly, you can have 130+ hp, 180 stamina (HUGE ADVANTAGE) with 90+ mana.

At 180 stamina, you can swing at 1.75 seconds with a 40 SSI composite.

G

GFY

120 archery
120 bushido
120 tactics
120 anatomy
100 heal
70 med
70 chiv
Am I the only one that fights mages with my archer and gets eaten alive unless I have high resist? I tried 100 resist and I really had a hard time with "just" 100. I even had a hard time with lich paragons mana draining me.

For me 70 med seems a bit of a waist. I don't really have mana problems with a good regen suit and mana leech on my bows, as long as my resist is high enough! ;)

drawn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one that fights mages with my archer and gets eaten alive unless I have high resist? I tried 100 resist and I really had a hard time with "just" 100. I even had a hard time with lich paragons mana draining me.

For me 70 med seems a bit of a waist. I don't really have mana problems with a good regen suit and mana leech on my bows, as long as my resist is high enough! ;)
just need to have apples on a macro (know the delay timer) and 70 chiv with enough karma can be used to lift curses as well. Trap boxes on macro are very useful as well-

with a balanced bow and 50 EP you can chug pots, 4 second heal with aids and never forget about confidence. Close wounds if you can get 3 FC in that suit. Should never be able to die as far as i am concerned.

70 med = 7 mr add that to 7mr from suit and 1 from focus under joat human you get 15 med. your mana flies right up there after u get mana vamped. get enough lmc in the suit and you could be back to fighting with as little as 20 mana. With this set up and a 40 ssi comp with only 25 mana leech i can spam LS and conc weapon and divine fury without ever having to stop for med.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah I agree. I never have mana issues and can spam specials all day. All in your setup and stats.

As far as what you addressed, I am not an "items" type of person either. I see this issue where people decide on items and meditation or to use resist. I guess it all depends on a person's personal preference, but I like resist. It's hard to fight paragon balrons and worry if you have "enough" items to help you along.

That said, 100 resist has not been enough for me as far as archery needs are concerned. That also said, most would not agree with that probably.

However, not many non magical creatures drop good loot in my book. I prefer fighting spell casting mobs. More risk involved and it's more fun...less predictable.

And as far as staying on topic I think Kyrie_Elaison will be set with all this information at his/her fingertips lol.

I wish that I long ago had used uo stratics as a resource to setup my archer. But, after years and years of tinkering, I have my archer where I want it to be.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Will you post or pm your archers' info for me Diomedes? I am still working her skills up.

Right now she is at 92 archery, 89 anatomy, 109 bushido, 108 tactics, chiv locked at 80, and healing at about 55.

:bowdown:

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My archer is my PvP char and I love her. Im still working her up but when shes done she will have-

120 archery
115 tactics
110 anatomy
100 ss
100 necro
70 chiv
100 healing

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My archer is my PvP char and I love her. Im still working her up but when shes done she will have-

120 archery
115 tactics
110 anatomy
100 ss
100 necro
70 chiv
100 healing
Is a nice template...I think. Can do some very nice spell combos with weapon combos to make quick kills. Do you use LRC suit or carry regs? I used to run a necro archer but have been a bushido archer for a long time now. Might be fun to do one again though. I however did not have chivalry on my old template like you have on yours there.

C

Chaosy

Necro archer with protection on was a fun template, but with apples and faction aids, your debuffs aren't as valuable as they used to be. Plus if you want 100 lrc it can be a pain to make the suit, but it's doable. :p

G

GFY

120 archery
115 tactics
110 anatomy
100 ss
100 necro
70 chiv
100 healing
I'm sitting here wondering if you could drop healing and add bushido. Seems like it would be a very interesting template.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sitting here wondering if you could drop healing and add bushido. Seems like it would be a very interesting template.
Yeah I agree, but to just have 100? Were you thinking mainly for confidence since you wouldn't per say get rid of one healing method? 13% for a critical chance just isn't worth it in my book.

G

GFY

Yeah I agree, but to just have 100? Were you thinking mainly for confidence since you wouldn't per say get rid of one healing method? 13% for a critical chance just isn't worth it in my book.
I would drop anatomy and tactics to 100, take bushido to 120, and necro to 105. Consicrate weapon, enemy of one, honor opponent, & perfection do a lot of damage meaning you'll have more points to leech. Having confidence for a quick heal is another bonus.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would drop anatomy and tactics to 100, take bushido to 120, and necro to 105. Consicrate weapon, enemy of one, honor opponent, & perfection do a lot of damage meaning you'll have more points to leech. Having confidence for a quick heal is another bonus.
Okay well I hadn't been talking about the whole template. I was just thinking to have only 100 bushido based on what you said with what you had been pondering is that 100 was too low.

Stats wise you could dump more points into INT in order to adjust the template if you had just done what you thought by dropping healing and adding bushido.

My opinion is you might be as good of template but...I think you would die more.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
120 Archery
115 Resist
110 Tactics
110 Anatomy
100 Healing
80 Med
75 Chiv

Wear 1) rune beetle carapace, 2) totem of the void, 3) spirit of the totem. The remaining armor pieces, look for 1) stam increase, 2) mana regen, and 3) lmc. Your poison and fire resists should be over 60 and 75, respectively. Your character should be human so you can use basic weaving spells. Run balanced bows for greater str and agil pots.

J

[JD]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but maybe you can answer a newbie archer question. What are the archers all using Necro for? thanks

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use it on one of my archers because i have 100% psn dmg bows so I corpse for increased dmg.

J

[JD]

you wouldn't need to take it to 105 for that though right.. limited amounts of necro looks like useful stuff. does the JOAT curse weapon heal us also through archery?

would taking it all the way create a viable vampire archer?
thanks

jan333333

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i need some help to:
he has an is capped

anatomy 98.5 110
archery 88.6 110
chivalry 54.9 110
fishing 100 100
focus 102.2 110
healing 43.3 110
resist 103.3 110
tactics 89.3 110

thats alot of skills i can loose fishing,
do i need focus with chivalry maxed?
well if anyone has an idea they are welcome :)

greetings

jan

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting that your ID is jan33333 and you posted at 3:33

Anyway, are you trying to build the vamp archer or just a general pvp archer? Depending on the shard and if you are solo or not will determine a lot. On my shard a solo archer would look like:

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Ninja
100 Anatomy
90 Healing
120 Resist
50 chiv (then probably +chiv on a bracelet)

You could mes with anat and healing to do spirit speak instead, if you are raiding spawns this is a bit more useful.

This is all assuming you do not go stealth archer which seems to be the way of many chars these days.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
? 120 Ninja? I see no benefit other than animal form, or am I missing something?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ninjitsu as an archer is a purely defensive skill.

Between Animal forms for getting away from a dismount plus mirror images for avoiding the archer-ganks, it makes being killed by a warrior template (or even a couple) very hard indeed.

That, and you can use fukiya for poisons... waste their potion supplies!

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
? 120 Ninja? I see no benefit other than animal form, or am I missing something?
Hit chance with fukiya and shurikens is based on Ninja skill. So having 120 ninja is like having 120 weapon skill for them.

It all depends on how you want to setup your character.

Shadow jump is very useful too. When the drop in into despise our out of despise is fielded its good to have it pre-casted. This is for a hiding/stealth template.

L

Luke Carjacker

If we're talking about ninjitsu without hiding and stealth, I'd highly recommend going with bushido instead. Lightning strike criticals along with confidence to heal is much more useful than ninjitsu (without hiding and stealth) in PvP. To hedge against being dismounted, bushido allows you to ride a lesser hiryu, which can help get some heat off you if you're being ganked, and allows you to remount instantly (without the delay of mounting an ethy).

Now, that's just a straight up comparison of ninjitsu vs. bushido for PvP. If we're talking about ninjitsu + stealth & hiding, that's something else entirely. In combination with stealth and hiding, ninjitsu is awesome. Basically, it allows you to only fight when you have the advantage. You can position yourself while hidden, always get the first attack and first off DP shuriken at the same time you shoot your bow. If you no longer have the advantage, you can buy time with mirror image, get away with animal form, or vanish with smoke bombs. But for straight up PvP where you don't want to spend a big part of the time hidden, ninjitsu is less appealing.

I actually use both templates in PvP. For straight up PvP, field fights, etc., I go with bushido, fencing and meditation (along with archery, tactics, healing, anatomy). The template packs a big offensive punch, especially after you disarm and bleed people, you've got enough mana to mortal, AI or moving shot them to death. On the defensive side, healing and confidence along with potions can give you back almost 100hp in bursts if timed correctly. As has always been the case with archers, knowing how to move is key. Definitely use a lesser hiryu, and set a key to remount (in part so you can do it quickly, and in part so you don't attack your own pet accidentally), and learn to time your heals so you can stay alive for 4-5 seconds before you can remount.

If I know I'm going into a situation where I'm outnumbered, or just for a change of pace, I'll go with the ninjitsu, hiding, stealth (I also use archery, tactics, healing and anatomy, though not exactly the same values). As described above, you can wait till you have the advantage, and put a real hurt on before people know what hit them. That said, I think this is a cheesy template to use when you're fighting even numbers. Even your friends won't want you to be hidden 90% of the time if you're in a big field fight; it just seems a little cowardly. But it can be tremendous fun if you're outnumbered. I've had quite a few nights were I stumbled onto a big fight I had no stake in (a free-for-all at a harrower is tons of fun), and just moved around and picked off all comers. It's not that hard to rack up 30-40 kills , and on occasion I've had twice that many in a single harrower. And when you don't have the upper hand, just move on away and wait for things to develop or find another target.

BTW, I'm in agreement with those who think that, without 4/6 casting, chivalry is pretty useless in PvP. I guess, a minimum of FC3 could make it useful.