• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

help save my Treasure Hunter

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hi, this is basically a template question. Morgana is a mage treasure hunter and needless to say she dies doing level 4 maps. I hate ogre lords. She has 105 points in mage and is gmed in eva, med, lockpicking and cart. I was thinking of adding chiv, archery and tatics. Here is the question, how important is antatony? Would it really make a difference since she doesn't have heal?

S

Salty Pete

Try this instead....

GM Lockpicking
GM Cart
GM Magery + (get a power scroll for 110-120 when you can afford it)
GM Med (lower this as you increase skills above 100 in music/peace/magery/provoke)
GM Music + (get a power scroll for 110-120 when you can afford it)
GM peace + (get a power scroll for 110-120 when you can afford it)
GM provoke + (get a power scroll for 110-120 when you can afford it)

That's the template my treasure hunter has and he is able to walk into the worst dungeons, do any level chest and just generally survive the unsurvivable.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hi, this is basically a template question. Morgana is a mage treasure hunter and needless to say she dies doing level 4 maps. I hate ogre lords. She has 105 points in mage and is gmed in eva, med, lockpicking and cart. I was thinking of adding chiv, archery and tatics. Here is the question, how important is antatony? Would it really make a difference since she doesn't have heal?
Add the Chiv & Tactics, but use a mage weapon and some +Magery jewelry to offset the magery reduction. I have a similar template as a T-Hunter, and another as a fisher.

Also consider using scrolls for any 8th circle spell you're going to cast at the map site (like Energy Vortex or Earth Elemental)

N

Nenime

Do you add Archery, Chivalry and Tactics just to deal with the Ogre Lords or because the like this combination?

I still recommend Spellweaving because it dovetails nicely with Magery. Etheral Voyage really helps to get away from the first wave of chest guardians and does not need that exact timing as Invis. I take along an (Artic) Ogre Lord by myself (you really learn to love them if they fight on your side ;)), bend to my will with Dryad Allure. He will draw the focus on him as the immediately attacks. You can support him by casting Gift of Renewal, Gift of Life, Nature' Fury and of course with a lot of Magery spells like Greater Heal for him and E-Bolt or whatever for the enemy. At 105 Magery casting Energy Vortex is a risky game in this situations, an Ogre Lord (or Orc Brute instead, if you still hate them) is much more reliable. Let him attack the spellcasters first because they will do the most damage on him.

E

Eslake

Eval + Anatomy uses up fewer points for defensive than a weapon skill or Wrestle.

But if you aren't getting hit, it is useless.

Try this with your current template.
-Summon 2 earth elementals before you dig. All Stay them about 5-7 tiles away from the dig site.
-Pre-cast invis while you are digging and target yourself just as the chest comes completely above the ground (just before the creatures appear).

Personally I hate Lichs far more than Ogres. Ogres are slow and can't attack at range. A few Blade Spirits or EVs will get rid of them.

I've been digging up chests since maps were implimented, and tried pretty much every template. (even tried the swordsman route, I really don't advise it)

The best soloing template I've found for t-hunting is the bardmage.
100 Lockpick
100 Carto
110 Magery
120 Music
120 Peace
120 Provoke
50ish Med(or weave if you have good MR gear)

No resist, no anatomy, no eval. Just invis as the chest comes up (with earthies ready) and start provoking as they all go chasing after your elementals.
1-5s are mindlessly easy with this template. 6s are more interesting due to the ancient wyrms, but still not particularly difficult.

Of course group digs are a lot more fun, but these days many templates don't find the creatures from a chest challenging enough to be interesting.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cart
Lockpicking
Magery
Med
Eval
Wrestle
resist/spellweaving/or scribe

You can use potions such as confussion blast
use slayer spell books
use invisibility spell helps.
If things get to harry use protection.
Stack spell damage increase items.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Eval + Anatomy uses up fewer points for defensive than a weapon skill or Wrestle.
Last I looked, having weapon skill was superior to Eval+anatomy - AND you get the same benefit as weapon skill by using a -0 mage weapon - with the added benefit of actually having some offensive capability.

E

Eslake

Last I looked, having weapon skill was superior to Eval+anatomy - AND you get the same benefit as weapon skill by using a -0 mage weapon - with the added benefit of actually having some offensive capability.
Defense Rating from 120 Eval + 80 Anatomy is the exact same as 120 in a weapon skill.

I would agree that 120 in a weapon would be better, but only if the template had room to also have Tactics (and preferably Parry & Bushido).
On a character with so much already taken by Magery Med Eval Cartography and Lockpicking, there just isn't room to make weapons feasable.

Staff of Magi definitely works. :) 120 weapon skill just by having the magery, no need for anatomy Or weapon skill.
I used one for quite a while, but since I don't usually get hit on a dig anyway, put it away and just swap around my slayer spellbooks now.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often see folks post provo and peacing on their t-hunters, It's great and all but I still stand by my disco. Particularly with Ogre Lords, it helps a ton. the higer magery helps too. Invest in a slayer spellbook set (or make one if you have the ability), keep ev's up and just have macro's set to switch books to match what you're fighting. I can solo every level in almost every location (except Dot of course) and rarely die.
My T-hunter does quite well with
120 mage
100 lockpick
100 cart
100 disco
100 eval
100 med
100 music

Then I bring up disco to 120 with jewels and just jump back and forth with the spellbooks.

This is what worked awesome for me after years of tweaking. Hope it helps

U

Uwen

Best solo T-Hunter template EVER

120 magery
120 med
120 peace
120 music
120 provoke
100 lockpick

Soulstone cartography trading it out with lockpicking. Decipher your maps first , how many ever you wanna do in the near future , I have 100 lvl , 5's and 6's done.
Soulstone cartography and get lockpicking.

Go find your chest spot pre summon 2 earth ele's command them to stay. Dig up your chest , on spawning peace/run/invis. The spawn will target the earth ele's you sit back and provoke , EV , summon the spawn dead.

For those nasty lvl 6's with ancient dragons and balrons , provoke or just lure your spawn away. The balrons are very provokable , the ancient dragons are tough and will require several attempts for dragon on dragon provoke.

When t hunting on islands place a boat first.

I've done 100's of t hunts with this solo , lvl 1-5 are a piece of cake , lvl 6 is challenging because of the ancient dragons , dont kill your balrons off use them to provoke on the ancient dragons.

When you tire of t hunts soulstone lockpicking off and pick up eval int 120. giving you ...

120 magery
120 eval
120 med
120 peace
120 provo
120 music

have fun :)