• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help needed to track down disconnection problem.

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello

Since September 1st I've been having connection issues with UO. I'm not an expert on how the internet works so could really use some guidance on how to find and fix the problem.

I am getting disconnected at irregular intervals ranging between 2 and 60 minutes. The average is about 15 mins of playtime before it cuts out. Here are some details about problem...

* The problems started on September 1st.
* I'm living in Japan, but have been playing on Atlantic from here since 1998 with no issues. I do have longer ping times, and have learnt to live with this.
* Along with the disconnection problem, lag spikes have also shot up. I hit a heavy lag spike every few minutes now.
* After I lose connection I am able to log back in immediately with no problems.
* The problem only happens when I connect to US based servers.
* I have a friend who plays from a different city in Japan and they are not experiencing any connection/lag issues with Atlantic.
* Connecting in prime time or during the off hours doesn't seem to make a difference.
* Since the problem started, I've tested other MMOs with servers based in the US, but everything seems normal with those.

In the last few months I've really been enjoying the new governor system and am having a great time building events with the community. I'd hate to be put out of the game by technical problems now, just when it is getting good. At the moment it has benched me from hunting, and now I'm very worried about my capacity to run events.

Can anyone give me advice on ways to fix this problem, or suggest some steps I could take to locate the cause?

Thanks in advance!
Soar/Compas