• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help From Modders (Graphics Related)

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been reskinning the UI to my personal liking. I prefer clean or minimalist designs mostly that don't draw too much attention. I also like "hand drawn" style designs but that one would be more complex so I am starting simple with something like this.

The main two files (0000020_Hud and CoreTextures) are giving me problems. While some parts are easy to figure out, other elements are a lot more ambiguous (the other files are much easier to figure out).

So here is my request for those familiar with 'em:

Can someone annotate jpgs of those files listing what each graphic element is? I know it is a lot to ask but it would be a huge help for me (and anyone else wanting to reskin the UI). I have never reskinned a UI before so the whole thing is new to me and a little confusing.

Also, any other things you think I oughta know would be useful (I know about alpha channels for example, but there may be other things I should be aware of too).

Thanks in advance!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ok, I'll get a labeled version of the files up here in a bit, looking at your version, the first thing that springs out is the mini-map texture. The central portion should be a LOT mroe transparent because the map itself is placed underneath the texture, so yours will make the map difficult to impossible to view. (This is because they set it up to look like a lens with a slight bit of glare for the effect)

With that said, give me a little bit of time to get the file set up. I'll use the default versions and number each piece then in the post label each number accordingly.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression (but I may be wrong!) that I do my transparency on the alpha channel which is what I was going to do so that it will be a lot more transparent. However as I've not had a chance to test it out yet... that may not be the case, in which case I'll just lower the opacity on that central segment (everything is on separate layers in the PSD).

Anyway, thankyou! It will be a huge help!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ok, here is the Default 00000020_HUD image (Note that Pinco's UI changes this up by referencing several elements in separate files):

And here's each portion as labelled:

1. Status Window
2. Status Bars (White: Health, Blue: Mana, Yellow: Stamina, Small White: Helth for Target Window and Mobile Health Bar)
3. Target Window
4. Runebook Buttons
5. War/Peace Shields
6. Hotbar and Menu Bar grid blocks
7. Menu Bar elements
8. Backpack Element for Menu Bar
9. Character Sheet and Character Abilities elements for Paperdoll
10. Container grid elements
11. (Radar)Map Window
12 (right of map window). Used for color selection on some settings menus (I believe mainly chat settings)
12 (below container grids). Pet Bar header elements (open and closed)
13. Expand/Contract buttons for menu bar and possibly other elements
14. Grid highlights for hotbars
X. Elements labeled with X. are apparently not used and can be removed. It is likely they were tests or used in earlier iterations of the UI.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks so much for that. Seems a lot of confusion came from the fact the stuff isn't used.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'll see if I can get Core Textures tomorrow evening. That one may take a bit more doing since it's more "bits and pieces" in a LOT more places than the HUD file has.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I am starting to figure this out now. I did some testing of it today and it isn't looking too bad. The alpha channel didn't work entirely as I expected but that's not a problem. I am having to work within the constraints of the exiting UI stuff as I don't know any coding stuff but I don't think that will be a huge problem.

I'll post some screenshots when I've done a bit more work on it and it's looking presentable. Hopefully if it turns out nice, I can do something a bit more serious and involved.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That is great looking forward to seeing what you come up with!