• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help a beginner please :D – Questions !!

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello guys, I’m from Brasil and I’m going to start playing Ultima Online on OSI shards.

I used to play on Sphere and RunUo for years(started playing it on 2000) but never tried the OSI servers so I thought that I needed to try it since I’ve been playing this game for so long (of course lot of ppl say that if you never played on OSI you never really played Ultima Online…)

So, since I’m starting here I have some few question, if you guys could help me I would appreciate it a lot:

1 – on OSI they have a lot of different shards and I did a small research and I found out that each one has it’s different history that influences in the gameplay. For exemple: I read that on some shard some towns were without guard protection because of some storyline stuff, is this true?

I’m asking this because I read that on the foruns so I tried to find some tutorial that would explain the shard differences but I couldn’t find anything here on stratics or UO foruns. Someone can explain me(if it’s possible of course) some differences between the shards? Ex:I heard that Siege Perilous was more old school style (you have to be careful to not get murdered even In towns. Well if this is true that is pretty much the experience that I enjoy while playing Ultima Online)

2- Does all the shards have constantly PVP going on? (lol I think I didn’t write it right)

I think that’s all for now, Im going to wait here before I ask more stuff, that’s all I can remember for now anyway, I even deleted some question I found the answers reading some topics here.

Beside that, I'm completely lost about how should I set my status/skills on the initial character but I guess this pretty much envolves wich type of template I should create.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege and Mugen are Felucca rulset.

All the others have Trammel and Felucca.

As for the most active shard that would be Atlantic (for PvP also in my opinion)

The best thing is to make some chars on each and have a look about for yourself. Being from Brazil you might get lag so find the one which has a good connection.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are a few other Brazilians that play Atlantic, but you might find that the lag there is daunting with the ping you will have. Some proper tunnelling might make the ping smaller and the lag more bearable, though.
Personally, I play Legends, but if PvP is what you want, Legends is not the server for you. We don't have a very active PvP scene there.

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks everyone!

I have another question so I will use this topic:

Is Time of Legends the last UO expansion right? If so, do I have to buy the Stygian Abyss expansion to have complete acess to the game or can I buy only the Time of Legends expansion without the Stygian Abyss?

Im asking this because here in the Origin from Brasil I can't buy the Stygian Abyss expansion but on the other hand I can buy the Time of Legends!

Thanks everyone!

I have another question so I will use this topic:

Is Time of Legends the last UO expansion right? If so, do I have to buy the Stygian Abyss expansion to have complete acess to the game or can I buy only the Time of Legends expansion without the Stygian Abyss?

Im asking this because here in the Origin from Brasil I can't buy the Stygian Abyss expansion but on the other hand I can buy the Time of Legends!
I am fairly certain they're not dependent but there are many features of SA you might enjoy. Unsure why it's not available. Perhaps contact customer support? Also did you choose a server?

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am fairly certain they're not dependent but there are many features of SA you might enjoy. Unsure why it's not available. Perhaps contact customer support? Also did you choose a server?

I'll try to contact the support anyway but I think this issue about the origin store not selling the expansion to Brasil is old from what I searched on google

I'm playing in Atlantic right now. The comunity is very nice and some ppl that I just met are helping me a lot!

I didnt start at Siege for two reasons:
1 - The majority of ppl said that Atlantic is the most popular shard(even for pvp wich is one of my favourite things in UO);

2- Everything in the oficial server is very new and I would need some time to adapt.

I will see how things go, pherhaps I could use Atlantic as my home but its just the beggining, everything seens pretty new, maybe things change in the future, I don't know lol :D

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Welcome. I play on Sonoma/Siege, but have characters on most shards that can travel and fight,I like to go to the EM events on some as the story line are fun to follow. As suggested, check the other shards, yes some may have a low # of people on them but the ping you have could be far better then on another shard.

Again welcome and I hope you fine all you seek in this world of ours