• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Having trouble getting Enhanced Client to log into UO.

O

Omega9

Patch client loads and does its check. I enter user ID and password, the after a few seconds it just freezes. The Classic loads fine, but I prefer the Enhanced.

I uninstalled the Enhanced Client then spent 6 hours waiting for it to reinstall.

Any ideas on how I can get it to run? It was running fine until I tried to log in last Friday night.

F

Finagler

Probably need to give some more info. Hardware specs, what OS you're running.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Patch client loads and does its check. I enter user ID and password, the after a few seconds it just freezes. The Classic loads fine, but I prefer the Enhanced.

I uninstalled the Enhanced Client then spent 6 hours waiting for it to reinstall.

Any ideas on how I can get it to run? It was running fine until I tried to log in last Friday night.
Any chance you have an NIVIDA video card? If so look in your add/remove programs for something along the lines of a "Nivida Network Manager" or something close to that. If it is there uninstall it and you should be good to go. This happened to me a few months back after updating my video drivers. A kind person on these forums made this suggestion and it did the trick. I have no idea what it does or why it was installed, but I have not missed it!

Good luck

O

Omega9

ok here's the story ... or more like the saga

For the past three weeks I have not been able to get the Enhanced Client to connect to UO. When I start it goes through the patch sequence then brings up the Login Screen. I enter user account name and password then click on the Login button. The account name appears on the upper windows bar, then ... nothing. The whole process just seems to stop there. Pressing Enter or clicking the bottom right arrow on the screen yield the same result. There is no error message - I have waited up to an hour on one occasion. The Login screen just sits there in limbo.

I have tried running the program as Administrator, i have turned off all other programs running including Kaspersky. Still no connect.

I have tried uninstalling and redownloading the entire program several times (at 5 to 6 hours a time!). Still no connect. I feel like my computer has been cursed to never run UO Enhanced ever again.

Funny thing is, the 2D client connects without a hitch, so my computer IS communicating with the server.

My computer system is a Pentium dual core ES500 2.5GHz cpu with 2GB of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card. Operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 2.

Everything was running fine until about three weeks ago.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am totally stumped here!

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok here's the story ... or more like the saga

For the past three weeks I have not been able to get the Enhanced Client to connect to UO. When I start it goes through the patch sequence then brings up the Login Screen. I enter user account name and password then click on the Login button. The account name appears on the upper windows bar, then ... nothing. The whole process just seems to stop there. Pressing Enter or clicking the bottom right arrow on the screen yield the same result. There is no error message - I have waited up to an hour on one occasion. The Login screen just sits there in limbo.

I have tried running the program as Administrator, i have turned off all other programs running including Kaspersky. Still no connect.

I have tried uninstalling and redownloading the entire program several times (at 5 to 6 hours a time!). Still no connect. I feel like my computer has been cursed to never run UO Enhanced ever again.

Funny thing is, the 2D client connects without a hitch, so my computer IS communicating with the server.

My computer system is a Pentium dual core ES500 2.5GHz cpu with 2GB of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card. Operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 2.

Everything was running fine until about three weeks ago.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am totally stumped here!
I'll wager this is the issue. Check for that network manager thingy. (That is a super secret technical term very few people know) I will search for the thread that helped me and get the actual name!

O

Omega9

thanks - looking into it right now - will let you know how it goes :)

O

Omega9

I had a good look and cannot find anything called NVIDIA network Manager or close to it. Only NVIDIA program listed is NVIDIA Drivers.

I have looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel, but it all makes little sense to me. As far as I can tell it is to adjust resolutions etc or set up multiple monitors or extra video card.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had a good look and cannot find anything called NVIDIA network Manager or close to it. Only NVIDIA program listed is NVIDIA Drivers.

I have looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel, but it all makes little sense to me. As far as I can tell it is to adjust resolutions etc or set up multiple monitors or extra video card.
Well shucks! :confused:

O

Omega9

I looked at thread.

I have no NVIDIA Network Manager installed, just the drivers.

Thing is the enhanced client worked fine until 3 weeks ago and it was the same video card then as now and as far as I know nothing has been changed ... my guess is the last patch must have stuffed something, and for some reason the client refuses to communicate with the login server. Why? I have no idea. This is driving me nuts.

That sledge hammer in the corner is starting to look very appealing.

O

Omega9

Well shucks! :confused:
Thanks for trying - I appreciate it :)

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any chance you have an NIVIDA video card? If so look in your add/remove programs for something along the lines of a "Nivida Network Manager" or something close to that. If it is there uninstall it and you should be good to go. This happened to me a few months back after updating my video drivers. A kind person on these forums made this suggestion and it did the trick. I have no idea what it does or why it was installed, but I have not missed it!

Good luck
not trying to argue or be a jerk but, the video card uses video card drivers. the nvidia network manager is on the motherboard and controls the 100/1000. think you mean if you have an nvidia mobo not video card.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
not trying to argue or be a jerk but, the video card uses video card drivers. the nvidia network manager is on the motherboard and controls the 100/1000. think you mean if you have an nvidia mobo not video card.
Nope - I meant what I said. I don't have an Nivida motherboard or NIC, but I do have an on board Nivida video card. When I updated my video card drivers the Network manager was also installed and was the cause of my problem in particular. Once I removed it I was back up and running.

That is not to say that your description of what the Nivida Network Manager does is incorrect, just that it was not the issue I was describing.

Good info though - thanks!

O

Omega9

Firewall is Kaspersky 2010.

Enhanced Client ran fine with Kaspersky until three weeks ago, when problem described in earlier posts started. I have tried turning Firewall off altogether with same result. I even tried a clean boot - same result.

Only thing I can think of -- and I am in Australia -- is that after the last patch, enhanced client has somehow lost its ability to communicate with the login server. I can ping the server and the 2D client runs fine.

I did call UO Tech support on the phone and after an hour wait was told to try a complete manual uninstall / reinstall. (The tech even sent me email instructions on how to do it.) I did that but still no connect.

Seems like my only option is to just play the 2D (which seems like a dinosaur after getting used to enhanced) and hope a future patch will fix the problem.

... and I am still eyeing that sledge hammer :p

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firewall is Kaspersky 2010.

Enhanced Client ran fine with Kaspersky until three weeks ago, when problem described in earlier posts started. I have tried turning Firewall off altogether with same result. I even tried a clean boot - same result.

Only thing I can think of -- and I am in Australia -- is that after the last patch, enhanced client has somehow lost its ability to communicate with the login server. I can ping the server and the 2D client runs fine.

I did call UO Tech support on the phone and after an hour wait was told to try a complete manual uninstall / reinstall. (The tech even sent me email instructions on how to do it.) I did that but still no connect.

Seems like my only option is to just play the 2D (which seems like a dinosaur after getting used to enhanced) and hope a future patch will fix the problem.

... and I am still eyeing that sledge hammer :p
hmm i too am experiencing the same EC issue. i downed it yesterday and ran it now, it does the same thing and freezes. i have both nvidia video card and mobo with 64bit ultimate. I will uninstall network manager and see what happens.
*update* it worked ! thank you Schuyler Bain and Omega for bringing this up. it seems once nvidia's network firewall/priority packet was uninstalled, after reboot the windows firewall promot shot up asking if i wanted to allow SA to 'run or keep blocking'. the visuals are really nice in the EC, very impressive so far. Now we need to figure out why Omega's was working then stopped. Omega can you add SA to Kasp's white list of allowed programs, does it allow that option ? Clean install of windows you say and still no connection, that's the really odd part.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmm i too am experiencing the same EC issue. i downed it yesterday and ran it now, it does the same thing and freezes. i have both nvidia video card and mobo with 64bit ultimate. I will uninstall network manager and see what happens.
*update* it worked ! thank you Schuyler Bain and Omega for bringing this up. it seems once nvidia's network firewall/priority packet was uninstalled, after reboot the windows firewall promot shot up asking if i wanted to allow SA to 'run or keep blocking'. the visuals are really nice in the EC, very impressive so far. Now we need to figure out why Omega's was working then stopped. Omega can you add SA to Kasp's white list of allowed programs, does it allow that option ? Clean install of windows you say and still no connection, that's the really odd part.
Woo Hoo! one down - now if we can just get Onega back up and running! Good suggestion RawHeadRex, I don't use Kaspersky, but you may be on to something there. Perhaps UO was already installed before the firewall with the previous build, but with the rebuild it is causing the problem.

O

Omega9

No it wasn't a clean reinstall of Windows. What i did was to manually and completely uninstall UO Enhanced, including all Registry entries, then reinstall/download it. 6 hours of downloading only to get the same no connect ...

My motherboard is an ASUS P5KPL-CM if that helps.

I have put UO on Kaspersky's list of allowed programs.

Still no connect.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it wasn't a clean reinstall of Windows. What i did was to manually and completely uninstall UO Enhanced, including all Registry entries, then reinstall/download it. 6 hours of downloading only to get the same no connect ...

My motherboard is an ASUS P5KPL-CM if that helps.

I have put UO on Kaspersky's list of allowed programs.

Still no connect.

Any other suggestions most welcome.
ya intel chipset on that. have you checked out your router, any changes made to port forwarding or any of that ? imho it seems to be some sort of firewall issue by God knows who. i read everything above but i didn't ask if you turned off windows firewall, maybe a recent windows update did something by closing ports or something.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya intel chipset on that. have you checked out your router, any changes made to port forwarding or any of that ? imho it seems to be some sort of firewall issue by God knows who. i read everything above but i didn't ask if you turned off windows firewall, maybe a recent windows update did something by closing ports or something.
Yeah this is where I am leaning as well. Something has put it's self between UO and your outbound connection. What is more odd is that the Classic Client is not having the problem only the Enhanced. I would check to see if you have another software based firewall that may have become enabled or suddenly started blocking the Enhanced client. Also if you have a hardware based firewall perhaps it has been flagged for some reason.

This is a stumper!

O

Omega9

yes, the router was one of the first things I checked. It is a Netcomm NB7 Modem/Router. If it was a router problem I am pretty sure that the Classic Client would have the same connection problem.

Re Firewalls: I even tried completely uninstalling Kaspersky, and then disabling the Windows Firewall completely. Still no connect. :(

I have even tried disabling every startup program possible without losing internet connection. Still no connect.

Right now I am in the process of getting my hands on another computer, onto which I will download and install the Enhanced Client. If it connects ok at least I will know for certain that is not a router problem.

Will let you know how that goes.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, the router was one of the first things I checked. It is a Netcomm NB7 Modem/Router. If it was a router problem I am pretty sure that the Classic Client would have the same connection problem.

Re Firewalls: I even tried completely uninstalling Kaspersky, and then disabling the Windows Firewall completely. Still no connect. :(

I have even tried disabling every startup program possible without losing internet connection. Still no connect.

Right now I am in the process of getting my hands on another computer, onto which I will download and install the Enhanced Client. If it connects ok at least I will know for certain that is not a router problem.

Will let you know how that goes.
can you make your modem/router just a modem temporarily just to factor out the NAT/firewall of the modem as the source ? because any 'hanging' issue would either be firewall related or corrupt installation/update related (IMHO). but since you completely reinstalled uo, thats covered.

O

Omega9

Dug up an old Slipstream 4200 modem that I remembered I still had and connected it to my computer. No router on this one, just a modem.

Still no connect. :(

I think my computer might be cursed.

Still looking to get my hands on another computer to try loading Enhanced client on.

Any other suggestions?