• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has high end pet farming become extinct?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was thinking about this last night. With pets now able to be trained in specifics does that mean there is no longer a need to farm high end critters?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Only high end pet most folks are farming for is colored Cu's. I do think there will still be farming for high end GD's and FD's once the new wears off of revamp.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The era of the GD is over.
Yes they may be the best "all round" pet, but honestly from training some other pets upto a 5 slot...they now wipe the floor with the GD.
Taming has now just joined the new age like every other skill.
You now have specific pets for specific mobs......or you use a GD and take twice aslong to kill the same mob.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was thinking about this last night. With pets now able to be trained in specifics does that mean there is no longer a need to farm high end critters?
Pet farming has 2 things now: rare hue or critter specific stats. Those stats are usually looking for the very low end (rather than top end) in order to get the reduced slot count or looking for overcapped stats (like dex or certain resists) that can't be done using training.

Pet farming using the old rating system is gonna be pretty much obsolete.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's low end pet farming now. Looking for high end pets that due to some mysterious combination of stats and skills is lower control slot than it's common brethren.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless it is looking for over capped resist or stats like a 90 fire resist Hiryu or a 900+ str Dragon Wolf etc. Or Color because the color of a pet makes all of the difference in fighting mobs :) But as a general rule you want the crappiest lowest slot count you can get in a species.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some pets have a set amount of slots. Finding a 450HP 450STR Tsuki Wolf will save you a bunch of needed points. I'm sure the same is true with others.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Had they made the slots fixed for each type of pet, there would still be high end pet hunting.
But the way it is now, in some cases, you really want to hunt for the worst of the lot so you have one extra slot worth of training to do.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some pets have a set amount of slots. Finding a 450HP 450STR Tsuki Wolf will save you a bunch of needed points. I'm sure the same is true with others.
You are right I do find myself looking for pets with the highest str and hp for their species and ones found a nice Tsuki with 448 Str and 449 Hp sporting 188 dex That lowers the cost of training points A Lot and allows for buffing up in other areas. Same with Hiryus I look for ones with over cap str, high hp, 88-90 fire resist, high 60s phys resist and that will tame out with 108 Wrestling and 102+ Tactics. I have gotten to where I just don't see the value in scrolling their wrest/tact/anat up but taking the Bushi and parry to 120. Don't even need to scroll their med and focus as with the natural MR, +30 MR and a base of 100 med and focus they regen mana fast enough. In testing scrolled up all the way, only bushi and parry scrolled and not scrolled up at all......... The full scrolled kill things a about 20 seconds faster than the bushi parry scrolled and the unscrolled. For what the scrolls cost 20 seconds is cheap in comparison. Plus you have several hundred points to spend on other things like more HP, Max stam, HP, MR, base damage. Things that get shorted somewhere by scrolling everything out. Now if I found a crappy 2 slot Tsuki I would be all over it as that would be like 1500 free points LOL, but don't think there is one that crappy wandering the lands.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are right I do find myself looking for pets with the highest str and hp for their species and ones found a nice Tsuki with 448 Str and 449 Hp sporting 188 dex That lowers the cost of training points A Lot and allows for buffing up in other areas. Same with Hiryus I look for ones with over cap str, high hp, 88-90 fire resist, high 60s phys resist and that will tame out with 108 Wrestling and 102+ Tactics. I have gotten to where I just don't see the value in scrolling their wrest/tact/anat up but taking the Bushi and parry to 120. Don't even need to scroll their med and focus as with the natural MR, +30 MR and a base of 100 med and focus they regen mana fast enough. In testing scrolled up all the way, only bushi and parry scrolled and not scrolled up at all......... The full scrolled kill things a about 20 seconds faster than the bushi parry scrolled and the unscrolled. For what the scrolls cost 20 seconds is cheap in comparison. Plus you have several hundred points to spend on other things like more HP, Max stam, HP, MR, base damage. Things that get shorted somewhere by scrolling everything out. Now if I found a crappy 2 slot Tsuki I would be all over it as that would be like 1500 free points LOL, but don't think there is one that crappy wandering the lands.
If you are going the route of hiryus try lessers. You can get high 70s in physical and 80 in fire. Plus 120 wrestling. By the 3rd level I usually haves resists hit points and ai. That leaves 2 more levels or 3000 points to fill it out.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are going the route of hiryus try lessers. You can get high 70s in physical and 80 in fire. Plus 120 wrestling. By the 3rd level I usually haves resists hit points and ai. That leaves 2 more levels or 3000 points to fill it out.
In many ways lessers work out better. But if going the unscrolled route the higher tactics, wrestling and parry on the full birds negates the benefits of the lesser. Plus the full birds come in prettier colors and Color is everything in PvM and PvP if it wasn't Glacial hair dye would not be so important in PvP :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure on tactics but lesser do come in 120 wrestling version.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had they made the slots fixed for each type of pet, there would still be high end pet hunting.
But the way it is now, in some cases, you really want to hunt for the worst of the lot so you have one extra slot worth of training to do.
I really don't understand their explanation that fixed slots would have caused an imbalance. Like I've tried to imagine a scenario in which strict creature type based control slots would create any imbalance let alone one that would have a tangible effect on game play. The ONLY thing that could possibly have happened would be that some pets of a certain slot would be a little bit better than other pets in the same slot, which already happens.

In fact I could argue that the stat based slots causes more imbalance than type based would. It does so in two ways: 1) Makes some creatures DRAMATICALLY superior to any of the same type by dropping them down a control slot for having lower end stats, allowing them an extra level up which increases their overall power far more than whatever stat deficiencies they spawned with, Greater Dragon, and Phoenix are the major culprits here, the later is actually the main cause of the biggest imbalance this publish has introduced and 2) Makes some creatures DRAMATICALLY inferior to others of the same control slot. This mainly pertains to lower end pets, hellhounds and dire wolves are the worst case here, as they are easily the weakest 2 slot creature in the game by a wide margin. Compare them to stone sliths for example, which not only can go to level 5, but surpass both in stats and resists by a wide margin as a 1 slot pet.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure on tactics but lesser do come in 120 wrestling version.
Really comes down to colors and resist and my personal opinion that lessers should not be able to surpass full Hiryus by starting out as a 1 slot pet they are a fairly rare tame but a 710 STR 600hp 90 Fire resist 108 wrestling tamed Hiryu is still a better one that a top lesser IMO. Of course it may take months to find one with that combination or you might find it first one. Just seems to me if Lessers were going to start out as 1 slot pets they should have been capped at 3 or 4 slot. They are after all Lesser :)

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a tamer but while doing level 6 or 7 maps pre publish I have had Hiryus spawn in amazing colors, is that just a map thing or do they regularly spawn in bright colors, EC here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a tamer but while doing level 6 or 7 maps pre publish I have had Hiryus spawn in amazing colors, is that just a map thing or do they regularly spawn in bright colors, EC here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ec I hear you miss most of the colors. But yes they spawn in a wide range of colors from neon green and Purple/Pink, a lot of blue combos, metallic colors, gold, bronze/copperish. The Gold, Green and Pink/purples seem to be the rarest spawning ones. The Blues the most common. Unlike Champ spawn Hiryus, T map ones are tamable and if you get rare colors popping call out in GC and I would bet a tamer or two will be happy to come and tame it and take it away for you :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never used a spreadsheet for anything in this game, nor have I felt so inclined, or expect to. :D
I use spreadsheets before I post here ;P

All of this taming talk has me in interested in coming back, though. I think I will find that I have no stable slots to get anything new while keeping what I have, though :p.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In Ec I hear you miss most of the colors. But yes they spawn in a wide range of colors from neon green and Purple/Pink, a lot of blue combos, metallic colors, gold, bronze/copperish. The Gold, Green and Pink/purples seem to be the rarest spawning ones. The Blues the most common. Unlike Champ spawn Hiryus, T map ones are tamable and if you get rare colors popping call out in GC and I would bet a tamer or two will be happy to come and tame it and take it away for you :)
On Napa, i have a Lesser Hiryu that is the rare Midnight Blue color (0.08% spawn chance i think), and he spawned with 120 Wrest and tamed out at 108.0 (the odds of a Midnight Blue spawning at max 120 Wrest is astronomical). I've had him for years. He's on one of my inactive accounts though with my Samurai/Swordsman, Velis. :/
Here's the color i'm talking about. http://www.freewebs.com/megadomeus/lesser_hiryu_colors.jpg

For some pets, high end "rating" farming is obsolete, but for others it's not. For example, i farmed for a Frost Mite with high Health and their lowest Cold Resist (85). That way, i'd be able to get his Health higher, and the lower Cold Resist means that i could bump other, more important Resists higher. 2 Slot Frost Mites become 3 Slots when you train their skills to GM anyways, so you only get 2 Training Sessions with them, regardless if they spawned as 2 Slot or 3 Slot. So might as well go for the best 3 Slot you can, so you can pump Training Points elsewhere on them.

Last edited: