• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has anyone else had this on their CC from EA:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was checking my CC bill and saw this:

TRANSACTION PROCESSED BY AMERICAN EXPRESS 1413961200000
Oct22

TRANSACTION PROCESSED BY AMERICAN EXPRESS

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
$12.99
Doing business as:
EA.COM

SUBMISSIONS USD
USA
UNITED STATES

Additional Information: Goods/Services
Reference: 320142950242988574

Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase
Dispute/Inquire about this Charge
All of my other month acct. subs bill from Hoensbrok, NL. This was completely different. I was wondering if anyone else had a charge like this or should I worry? PS there's no personal info in there or CC number so no one needs to go all haywire. I removed the only personal info.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. It was EA as usual yesterday on one of my accounts.

Perhaps the Amex was Messana's personal amex? (J/k!) :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have a bunch of different payment processing houses. It's fine.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well .... at least they bill you correctly... often they like to bill me from the Netherlands or from Switzerland. Which in my case results in my CC company denying the charge and then blocking my card for the weekend do to possible fraudulent activity! OMG I got billed from somewhere outside the US!!!!!! Anyway it seriously is upsetting and often irks me.

Happens 4 or 5 times a year every year since they switched to this new "account mismanagment" system of theirs.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well .... at least they bill you correctly... often they like to bill me from the Netherlands or from Switzerland. Which in my case results in my CC company denying the charge and then blocking my card for the weekend do to possible fraudulent activity! OMG I got billed from somewhere outside the US!!!!!! Anyway it seriously is upsetting and often irks me.

Happens 4 or 5 times a year every year since they switched to this new "account mismanagment" system of theirs.
That's still billing you correctly. The issue is your bank, not them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's still billing you correctly. The issue is your bank, not them.
That's NOT billing me correct.... I don't live overseas... I live in the USA they SHOULD bill me from the USA Not overseas... it is NOT my bank. My bank does NOT accept charges from outside the US and they shouldn't... I don't live there or go there.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's NOT billing me correct.... I don't live overseas... I live in the USA they SHOULD bill me from the USA Not overseas... it is NOT my bank. My bank does NOT accept charges from outside the US and they shouldn't... I don't live there or go there.
Totally agree.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never seen this before. Perhaps your bank is interpreting the routing number of the EA bank incorrectly when the transaction occurs?

Seems to me that if EA was billing originated from overseas they would be looking at huge trouble from the FTC for charging retail tax on the subscriptions.

Matthias O'Hare

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Never seen this before. Perhaps your bank is interpreting the routing number of the EA bank incorrectly when the transaction occurs?

Seems to me that if EA was billing originated from overseas they would be looking at huge trouble from the FTC for charging retail tax on the subscriptions.
I actually thought about reporting them to the FTC over this very issue, long ago before I wisely switched to Game Time cards to prevent dubious double charges, I would get charges for EA affiliates abroad for my subscription.

If intentional, it's a tax scheme.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

No I get it 3 or 4 times every year... but then I have 9 accounts.... so it just depends. I don't know why it happens but it started ever since they went to the "Account Management" system... I've gotten so irritated about it I wrote to the CEO's of EA and told them to knock it off. Some nice fellow named Kyle assured me they were looking into it.... obviously not very well since it happened again a couple of months ago. It gets SUPER old having to call my CC company and explain to them that I really DO want to pay EA but not in Switzerland or Netherlands in the USA...

Maybe your bank is a problem Aran.... for allowing foreign transactions on your card your open to all kinds of fraud charges. Thankfully my bank keeps a close watch on my funds. I'm secure with that.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All of the charges on my account are originating in the US. The transaction IDs are all US based. If you copy and paste them into Google it should give you the name of the clearing house that the originating bank is using.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I get it 3 or 4 times every year... but then I have 9 accounts.... so it just depends. I don't know why it happens but it started ever since they went to the "Account Management" system... I've gotten so irritated about it I wrote to the CEO's of EA and told them to knock it off. Some nice fellow named Kyle assured me they were looking into it.... obviously not very well since it happened again a couple of months ago. It gets SUPER old having to call my CC company and explain to them that I really DO want to pay EA but not in Switzerland or Netherlands in the USA...

Maybe your bank is a problem Aran.... for allowing foreign transactions on your card your open to all kinds of fraud charges. Thankfully my bank keeps a close watch on my funds. I'm secure with that.
Some of us have financial concerns that go a bit further than "BIDEO GAEM" and occasionally need financial transactions beyond our country's borders ;)

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste: lol, sorry but your bank seems quite behind the times. Times have moved on and it's not an uncommon occurrence to be billed from outside your country of residence these days when purchasing things online. Welcome to the 21st century.

My bank has occasionally questioned similar transactions too for this very reason. Thankfully they're smart enough to realize that I am authorizing a recurring payment to Company X who may bill me from seemingly different payment houses on occasion. Once I informed them about it once, they never questioned those transactions again because regardless of location they're all for the same amount to the same company. Your bank seems less smart and I'd have got very upset/dropped them ages ago if they kept blocking the same payment for arbitrary reasons.

Blaming EA's payment system is silly. Banks should be capable of handling the necessary variety of modern payment systems and their quirks these days particularly when dealing with international businesses and online transactions. If mine didn't, I'd find a new one that does. I wouldn't get annoyed with the business billing me though. I really don't care how they work or where they bill me from nor do I want to care. It's up to my bank to adapt and handle these things without pissing me off. Thankfully, in my case, that's exactly what they do.