• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Happy Thanksgiving!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks and you too Captn! Happy and joyous eating, socializing and doing something NOT UO related! Happy RL everyone!

michael dangerous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I hate to be the one to bring this up , but this might be offensive to some of the Native Americans that play this game.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I HOPE none of our wonderful UO team even opens Stratics today...but if they do I want to thank them for all the hard work they've done for us. May you be blessed with lots of food and be surrounded by all of your loved ones on this day of thanks.

To the UO Stratics community...thank you for being you. It's nice to have a little virtual family to visit every day!

To those who do celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you remember all the things you have to be thankful for, hug all of your friends and family because we just don't do that enough these days, and enjoy the day :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought the native Americans celebrated thanksgiving along with the early settlers, didn't they? Isn't that the photo in all the school history books.
The entire point of the original Thanksgiving was to thank the Native Americans for helping the pilgrims survive the winter. If they hadn't done that it was pretty much guaranteed that every single pilgrim would have starved to death since they had absolutely no idea how to farm in the new world and would have had no food if the Native Americans didn't teach them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hate to be the one to bring this up , but this might be offensive to some of the Native Americans that play this game.
I don't think so ...... I could ask one she lives under my roof. Though she might be offended you would think so.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I posted proof that Native Americans can be offended by this and it was removed, oh well.
Some are... some aren't... I asked the one that lives here with me and she thought the idea was funny... though she said they do call it "Happy we stole your land and killed your people day." She has opened my eyes to things I had considered but never thought I had any way of ever saying "I'm sorry." for.... I mean... Yes I think it's horrible the things "we" and I say "we" with some sense that my ancestors might have played a role in some of it... however there IS Native American blood in my family tree and my own children have more than I do... My ex-husband was 1/4 Cherokee Indian... so they are more Native American than I am... but still...

So do I think that what we did to the native peoples was right? NO. Is there anything I can do about it now? Not really. Though I do let my feelings be known that I don't think we should continue to treat these people as we do... Do I think that the Washington Redskins should change their name... Absolutely NOT. It's meant as an honor... the name was chosen because they respected the Native Peoples and thought they were great warriors... and named their team after them to honor that idea. Because they thought it was more of flattery than something silly like to make fun of them or dishonor who they were... and to argue otherwise is just silly. Don't they say mimicry is the strongest form of flattery? Anyway so... Happy we stole your country and killed your people day.

Was awesome enjoyed some great food... now I'm stuffed and sleepy... and I gave thanks to all those who helped get us where we are... including the native peoples of this country for teaching us about corn! Mmm.... corn. As an Iowan I love Corn. It's everywhere here and we wouldn't have it had the Native Peoples not shown us about it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
umm, what?
That's what she said. She is 100% Native American... born and raised on the reservations in Montana... and she said with a laugh when I asked her if Thanksgiving offended her..... "Heck no... I think it's funny... but we call it "Happy I stole your land and killed your people day."... or she said that at least a few of those who still carry old grudges do... but she finds it funny and likes Thanksgiving.... loves the food. I can't actually post exactly what she said about the ones who hold the grudges but lets just say that she implied that their seats were pained.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks. Please?

The OP wanted to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. We are not going to get into the politics of it in this thread.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How is that funny? that is a rhetorical question btw because you are being offensive.
Your the one who brought it up. At any rate she doesn't find Thanksgiving in the least bit offensive, and she enjoys it. She just calls it something else.

Which she has a very odd sense of humor but who am I to judge. I was just saying that I had never thought to ask her if she thought it'd be offensive if we celebrated Thanksgiving with her. Which she enjoyed and liked eating... and was VERY happy to be included in my "family". Where she tells me she has felt more "at home" here than anywhere she's ever lived even home on the reservations. So... I asked her. Gave you her answer. I'm sorry it offends you that she found it funny.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
YOOOS PEEPS JUST TO SENSTIBE
YOOS NO SEED GOBLINS GOING BALISTIC WIF ALLA DA NAMES WEES GETS CALLED