• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Announcement Happy New Year's Day

EM Hanarin

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
fortune bag.jpg
<A bag called "fortune bag" which used by elders to give money as a gratitude for young kids when they bow and wish their health and live long.>

Happy New Year's Day!

You probably wonder why I am saying happy new year's day now but in most of Asian cultures used lunar calendar and we celebrate new year's day following it. Upcoming 31th Jan in solar calendar is called "Seol" which is one of the biggest holidays in Korea. I believe China, Japan will have similar holidays in different names.

The history of Seol starts 651 when the King of Shinla, one of ancient kingdom, was celebrated by the all government officials for live long and healthy, and it became a tradition to celebrate the King at new years day by lunar calendar every year.

And Day of Seol, we visit families all together, and have some fun with playing games. Not just having fun, we also have memorial ceremonies for our ancestors. And young kids bow to elders to wish them live long and pros...sorry, I was saying healthy. By gratitude them, elders give some pocket money to them.

The main spirit of the Seol is let the old year go and bring new year come. It means, reflect on myself past year so we can no longer bothered by it and planning new year, fresh start.

I would like to you to have a time to spend for your families and have a time to planning your new year. Although we are living in different culture, I believe the spirit of new year's day would be similar.

Have a wonderful happy new year's day, folks.

EM Hanarin

Last edited: