• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Happy Birthday UO!!!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well a belated Happy Birthday anyway.

16th April 2014 UO was Greenlighted on Steam. One year on where are we with this? Nowhere.

Ive heard that it wont be released on Steam until the new player 'experience' is improved but what are the Devs doing to address this? Nothing. Instead they are working on a new expansion to milk even more dollars from a dwindling niche playerbase.

What they should have been doing is busting a gut to get the game to a position where it could be released on Steam. Fixing account management. Fixing the Store. Making it a game that was more accessible to new players.

I doubt very much if it will ever be released on Steam now. Maybe it was the comments left on the Steam site where the game was ridiculed and made a mockery of.

Devs ... you dropped the ball on this. Like you have with so many other things. A missed opportunity and instead of making the game more accessible and making a real effort to fix things and bring new players in through steam you opted to screw IDOCs and work on what Im sure will be another bugged, half baked mess of an expansion.

Discraceful mismanagement of this franchise yet again.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the dev diary video they stated they wanted to finish a new player experience before they open the doors on Steam.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not exactly a steam guru..but when you open a game through steam is there a way to open UOAssist when you click "Start Game"..or is only going to support the EC, and barebones CC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While steam may attract several thousand new players, who will want to set up accounts and spend money at the origin store, it is vitally important to screw up IDOCs and THEN take out checks and gold to help lose the spirit of the game. Only then can we begin work on website, stores, and new player experiences, Check back April 2019...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And for those who are about to correct me and say they are working on the website right now, seriously? How loong can it take? What did they do, hire the same crew that designed Healthcare.Gov??

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While steam may attract several thousand new players, who will want to set up accounts and spend money at the origin store, it is vitally important to screw up IDOCs and THEN take out checks and gold to help lose the spirit of the game. Only then can we begin work on website, stores, and new player experiences, Check back April 2019...
Uriah, I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but I do have a question. Do you really think that UO will still be up and running in April 2019? I really hope I am wrong, but I am setting the over/under on the game having the plug pulled on it sometime in September 2017. Again I hope I am wrong, but with the (lack of) developers and lack of anything passing as customer support, it is obvious that UO is being milked for it's last dime, and will have the plug pulled as soon as it becomes a liability. And for those who are quick to point out that Mesanna can and is willing to get involved, I say that is one of the biggest red flags of all. How scary is it that pretty much the only way to get customer service help is to email a DEVELOPER???? WTF is wrong with that picture?

Wow Uriah, I just realized I got off on a tangent! Sorry about that. But I do think it needs to be pointed out that, let's face it, UO is on life support, and somebody signed a "do not resuscitate" form. :sad3::sad3:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let's look at it from another angle... It is better for the devs to take the time to develop a good product/experience rather than rush to put in crap that will leave a new player with a negative impression. And given the size of the current dev team, it should be expected to take longer; afterall, there are only so many hours in a day.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uriah, I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but I do have a question. Do you really think that UO will still be up and running in April 2019? I really hope I am wrong, but I am setting the over/under on the game having the plug pulled on it sometime in September 2017. Again I hope I am wrong, but with the (lack of) developers and lack of anything passing as customer support, it is obvious that UO is being milked for it's last dime, and will have the plug pulled as soon as it becomes a liability. And for those who are quick to point out that Mesanna can and is willing to get involved, I say that is one of the biggest red flags of all. How scary is it that pretty much the only way to get customer service help is to email a DEVELOPER???? WTF is wrong with that picture?

Wow Uriah, I just realized I got off on a tangent! Sorry about that. But I do think it needs to be pointed out that, let's face it, UO is on life support, and somebody signed a "do not resuscitate" form. :sad3::sad3:
Ea Will never pull the plug... They Will sell it if it ever becomes in the neg... Smart business. And someone Will buy it.. Hopefully for the better.

They own ultima fu***** online... Worth more then most thing... Just cuz the name ...

Having the rights for u2 . And it Will come.. With or without.

If Richard decided to keep it... (the name) his new game... Total rip of uo.. Down to the bags... Kept it... He would be way more successful. And more would flock. But Hell if i was him with no care but an occasional ice bucket challenge i don't know if i would have done the same or not.

Ima keep playing the lotto in hopes for a win so i can dump my riches into a game ... In hopes i can have an email adress at uo.com ha.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keith, I was the one being a smart A$$...tongue in cheek sarcasm, ya know. You're probably closer to right than i am lol. And for the record, not onlly do we have to have a dev do the cs work for us, it's the head of the show!

And Angel, whatever they put in, the artwork will not flow with the old, there will be bugs, allowing more time won't ensure a good product. If that were the case KR would be a thriving game right now. I, and quite a few others, don't post like this because we hate the game, hecck I'm still paying for *checks to be sure wife isn't looking) 3 accounts. We post this way because we remember what was, what could have been. We don't build worlds anymore. We don't build playstyles and adventure anymore. We just throw out overpowered mobs and call it entertainment.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Keith, I was the one being a smart A$$...tongue in cheek sarcasm, ya know. You're probably closer to right than i am lol. And for the record, not onlly do we have to have a dev do the cs work for us, it's the head of the show!

And Angel, whatever they put in, the artwork will not flow with the old, there will be bugs, allowing more time won't ensure a good product. If that were the case KR would be a thriving game right now. I, and quite a few others, don't post like this because we hate the game, hecck I'm still paying for *checks to be sure wife isn't looking) 3 accounts. We post this way because we remember what was, what could have been. We don't build worlds anymore. We don't build playstyles and adventure anymore. We just throw out overpowered mobs and call it entertainment.
Oh I caught the sarcasm, but when I saw "April 2019" it just started me thinking. And yes, I think a lot of people don't understand just how scary (not to mention a waste of "development" *cough,cough* time) it is to have Mesanna doing a CS job.

Skunk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would assume you have all seen Albion Online? It's time for a change folks.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uriah, I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ but I do have a question. Do you really think that UO will still be up and running in April 2019? :sad3::sad3:
i think it will be running. under the same team of devs, probably not. A few years ago asian players accounted for about 30 percent of playerbase. that number is most likely around 50 percent now. It would probably be best for the game if in 2 years or so UOs focus goes entirely to the asian market; an all new japanese dev team probably would be much more efficient, enthusiastic, with modern styling that would focus to that primary market.

Swt Lippy Hippy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Let's look at it from another angle... It is better for the devs to take the time to develop a good product/experience rather than rush to put in crap that will leave a new player with a negative impression. And given the size of the current dev team, it should be expected to take longer; afterall, there are only so many hours in a day.

Nice to see someone being positive. Thanks Angel What is wrong with people being so negative all the fricken time. I notice that it seems to be the same ones over and over. Nothing Positive at all. I can imagine a returning player coming back to UO, thinking Ok Ill check out stratics and see whats new, then to see the idiots b*tching about the stupidest things. I do not understand, if you do not like something and have to constantly complain, maybe it's time for you to move on to something else, and leave the rest of the UO committed and dedicated players to enjoy the game that is out there for us. I think the game is wonderful and if you think you can do a better job than what the dev people are doing, Apply for the position that is open, or stfu. LOL I am just a peon on these boards, maybe I am over reacting. I am wondering if I am the only one that gets tired of seeing the same constant complaining players with nothing nice to say.

:p

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i think it will be running. under the same team of devs, probably not. A few years ago asian players accounted for about 30 percent of playerbase. that number is most likely around 50 percent now. It would probably be best for the game if in 2 years or so UOs focus goes entirely to the asian market; an all new japanese dev team probably would be much more efficient, enthusiastic, with modern styling that would focus to that primary market.
That is a very good point!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice to see someone being positive. Thanks Angel What is wrong with people being so negative all the fricken time. I notice that it seems to be the same ones over and over. Nothing Positive at all. I can imagine a returning player coming back to UO, thinking Ok Ill check out stratics and see whats new, then to see the idiots b*tching about the stupidest things. I do not understand, if you do not like something and have to constantly complain, maybe it's time for you to move on to something else, and leave the rest of the UO committed and dedicated players to enjoy the game that is out there for us. I think the game is wonderful and if you think you can do a better job than what the dev people are doing, Apply for the position that is open, or stfu. LOL I am just a peon on these boards, maybe I am over reacting. I am wondering if I am the only one that gets tired of seeing the same constant complaining players with nothing nice to say.

:p
I personally don't feel that discussing the possibility of UO ending at some point is "stupid". FYI, there is a difference between "negativity" and REALITY.

I suspect I am as committed and dedicated as you are to this game, but rather than stick my head in the sand, I choose to speak up. For both the GOOD and BAD in the game, in hopes that perhaps if enough people "complain"about the negative things, perhaps positive changes might be made.

I respect opinions that disagree with my own, but to insinuate that I (and others) are idiots, and should STFU, is not one I can agree with.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Release of a new expansion will probably see a bigger influx of returning players than a release on Steam will see new players. Nobody I know on Steam is interested in paying 13 dollars a month for a game with 20 year old graphics.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Release of a new expansion will probably see a bigger influx of returning players than a release on Steam will see new players. Nobody I know on Steam is interested in paying 13 dollars a month for a game with 20 year old graphics.
but free with retro graphics? minecraft anyone? ftp on steam UO would be a hit.

Swt Lippy Hippy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I personally don't feel that discussing the possibility of UO ending at some point is "stupid". FYI, there is a difference between "negativity" and REALITY.

I suspect I am as committed and dedicated as you are to this game, but rather than stick my head in the sand, I choose to speak up. For both the GOOD and BAD in the game, in hopes that perhaps if enough people "complain"about the negative things, perhaps positive changes might be made.

I respect opinions that disagree with my own, but to insinuate that I (and others) are idiots, and should STFU, is not one I can agree with.

Hi Keith, I did not mean it as a personal attack on you. I like reading your posts. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I was speaking in general over the past few months of the posts I have seen. Nothing wrong with complaining once. I remember when the game first came out and I was playing. They were all talking about UO going down and that was 15 or so years ago. It's still going and people are still playing. I think it is cool to have boards to express opinions. I guess its how it is expressed and positive ideas on what can be done to help make things better. Sticking my head in the sand is what that Mayor in the town of Florida did. (spring break issues I won't go into) I bring this into reference because there are ways to fix things and still have success in the business aspect. Different type of player base to attract. Please don't take offense to what I said, it was not directed at you or your type of posts. Like I said I am just a peon on here. Thanks for caring about UO and sharing your thoughts and opinions and responding to post. I was on your shard you play on the other day getting plants. It is so pretty over there. I wish Lake Superior had some creativity like some of the other shards I visited have been on. I would like to apply for that position. lol Shard decorator hehe

:heart: :cheerleader: :heart:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hi Keith, I did not mean it as a personal attack on you. I like reading your posts. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I was speaking in general over the past few months of the posts I have seen. Nothing wrong with complaining once. I remember when the game first came out and I was playing. They were all talking about UO going down and that was 15 or so years ago. It's still going and people are still playing. I think it is cool to have boards to express opinions. I guess its how it is expressed and positive ideas on what can be done to help make things better. Sticking my head in the sand is what that Mayor in the town of Florida did. (spring break issues I won't go into) I bring this into reference because there are ways to fix things and still have success in the business aspect. Different type of player base to attract. Please don't take offense to what I said, it was not directed at you or your type of posts. Like I said I am just a peon on here. Thanks for caring about UO and sharing your thoughts and opinions and responding to post. I was on your shard you play on the other day getting plants. It is so pretty over there. I wish Lake Superior had some creativity like some of the other shards I visited have been on. I would like to apply for that position. lol Shard decorator hehe

:heart:
Thanks Lippy. My bad! :)