• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Gypsy camps

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure if this will be an issue or not but while popping into Britain moongate this gypsy camp spawned. Now on LS, there is usually a house at this location. What happens to the tent when this occurs on production shards?

By the way, I was able to loots der loot. Not much this time, but I love the possibility of it! Thank you *grins*

Attachments

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol there living room gets really cramped with a tent in it ;-)

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor brigands get no tent, no wonder there mad and want to kill you...

Anyways, i noticed that the exployding chest give less gold then the gas ones?

Should it not be reverse of that?

Go on production shard and lockpick a few i think they have it backwards for loot on test..

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well.. the appearance code should already avoid houses anyway. It should only appear if there are no houses where it wants to.

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if this will be an issue or not but while popping into Britain moongate this gypsy camp spawned. Now on LS, there is usually a house at this location. What happens to the tent when this occurs on production shards?
Tent's can't spawn in such a way that any part of the tent intersects anything that blocks movement. They can spawn *over* things that block movement, so long as nothing pokes through the top and no part of the actual tent appears in a place a player can't normally step on. The terrain for the tent doesn't have to be flat, but it can't be too uneven either.

This means they can appear in places that houses can't, and they won't pop in over someone's house.

If the tent can't spawn, the camp can't spawn.

This means Gypsies will tend to appear on the fringes of civilization, on open areas or lightly wooded areas away from heavily populated areas.

By the way, I was able to loots der loot. Not much this time, but I love the possibility of it! Thank you *grins*
There is something new in the loot list for Gypsy camps that is very rare. I'd be surprised if anyone finds one on Test Center before the publish is rolled out. But, who knows?

Good luck!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey, Phoenix - any chance that the old Evil Mage overland spawn will make a comeback?

I remember seeing these occasionally in the plains near Compassion Desert, but the last time I saw one was talking to a friend while in her house by the crossroads, before ML. Ironically, several years later, I would have the same house plot for the THB guildhouse, and it would be a nice occasional "complication" to living there.

And, what about where the Gypsies currently occasionally spawn at ground level in and around 2-story NPC structures? I've seen brigands and Gypsies spawn under the structure over said crossroads, with some of them AND their chests spawning inside one of the buildings.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to do more testing on this, but I think some of the chests are bugged. I've come across at least two inside of tents that I could not open, although they already showed contents information (e.g., 0/125 items). The message I got was along the lines of: "This does not appear to be locked. You are not allowed to access this."

Given what time it is currently and the fact that I haven't seen anyone else in the area, I don't think someone else got to the chest before me and opened it. And even if they did, I think I'd still be able to open the chest that they picked, right?

I've also noticed that the gypsies linger once their tent and chests have disappeared. Is that supposed to happen or should they also disappear?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears that the wooden chest that spawns in the location in the tent shown in the screen shot below always spawns in a "bugged" condition. You can't pick the lock nor can you open the chest.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that too, but I wasn't sure if it was bugged or intended. The chest in the tents are always empty, but there are two other chests that spawn in random areas near the tent that can be unlocked.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, Phoenix - any chance that the old Evil Mage overland spawn will make a comeback?

I remember seeing these occasionally in the plains near Compassion Desert, but the last time I saw one was talking to a friend while in her house by the crossroads, before ML. Ironically, several years later, I would have the same house plot for the THB guildhouse, and it would be a nice occasional "complication" to living there.
Problem with the Evil Mage (Tower) ones is they need the space of a large tower (there were also Guard Tower spawns)... the lack of a building with them was caused by the same change that stopped the gypsy tents. I'd love to see them show up again, especially with the buildings they're supposed to have (though that would stop the blood tile spawn), but even then they wouldn't show up much because of the space they need. Also I remember hearing about.. Liche towers (small stone towers with a liche and such)? Was that a staff event kinda thing or did that used to be in the system? Would be cool to add regardless.

Also, whats the level of possibility of maybe adding some of these spawns to Malas in the many open areas that housing is restricted? There's generally plenty of space for such things in that land even outside of those areas, though. Would at least spice things up a bit.

As for that chest in the tents, you need to realize the tents used to be a housing type years ago. That chest was the secure storage for the house, so its no suprise that it would be unopenable if they're tapping into that code for this.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for that chest in the tents, you need to realize the tents used to be a housing type years ago. That chest was the secure storage for the house, so its no suprise that it would be unopenable if they're tapping into that code for this.
Thanks, Crysta. That explanation makes perfect sense. The tents pre-date when I started playing UO, so I never had a chance to see players actually using them in lieu of a house.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is something new in the loot list for Gypsy camps that is very rare. I'd be surprised if anyone finds one on Test Center before the publish is rolled out. But, who knows?

Good luck!
For the love of all gypsies......hint....please??? *begs*

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well after a few hundred gypsie camps ive found alot of regs , up to 110 of one kind.

Gold has always been low....Found a ring with +14 trowing , so had to check if you can imbue trowing on jewls...

The answer is yes now, its in menu last skill tree....

Other then that not much to write home about...a hint would be nice...
I figure it is a deed for a tent. :)

By the way the poor brigands have to stay out in the rain?? And do there chest count the same ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the rare item is a check. Read the notes about the gypsy camps from when the publish was made to Origin.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well after a few hundred gypsie camps ive found alot of regs , up to 110 of one kind.

Gold has always been low....Found a ring with +14 trowing , so had to check if you can imbue trowing on jewls...

The answer is yes now, its in menu last skill tree....

NICE :) I wonder if Mysticism or Spellweaving will show up as well:)

Right now i have GM Lockpicking soulstoned. Is it worth it to add it to a char again?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found gargish rings and bracelets and one regular ring with Mysticism on them as loot early this morning on Origin. Wasn't looking for Spellweaving as a mod, but will be on the lookout for that now too.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They dont seem to have made provision for weaving modded spellbooks.

My guess would be no.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actualy use detect hidden and remove trap to make the job faster ....

Since i will be using my t-hunter to do the camps...saves casting telekanesis, and trust me just opening the chest isent a good idea.

Dam the small ones hurt...haha but good luck everyone,
And i dont think a check would be the rare, if it is.....thats lame...sorry to say...

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And i dont think a check would be the rare, if it is.....thats lame...sorry to say...
The check is pretty rare, but the items in question are quite a bit rarer than that.

Before everyone starts building high expectations, let me just say that the new items are cosmetic only, with no useful game effect. They are rare and hard to come by, and do something not seen in the game before, but that's it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still haven't seen anything unusual. But did just find 921 grave dust in one chest. Makes me wonder what those gypsies are up to.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The gypsy Camps is one of the main things i am waiting for along with renowned loot changes! the rest is just icing on the cake for me!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The check is pretty rare, but the items in question are quite a bit rarer than that.

Before everyone starts building high expectations, let me just say that the new items are cosmetic only, with no useful game effect. They are rare and hard to come by, and do something not seen in the game before, but that's it.
Thanks for the heads up Phoenix!

Just curious as to whether this could be step number one in a multi-step process including more love for t-hunters and sea salvage experts.

If so, then that goes a long way in lessening the blow for not being able to imbue any items considered artifacts. I posted something in the imbuing bug thread that was mostly an expression of irritation at the change without presenting the player side of wanting to be able to imbue those items in any kind of a thoughtful manner.

I will attempt to go back and post something that would allow for sharing of ideas and discussion, keeping in mind what ever reply you see fit to make to this post.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The special items come from the chests right? We don't have to kill the poor gypsies do we?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I dont think so I killed several just to see but never noticed anything special....

T

Trevelyan

Nothing good yet, except 80-100 regs in some spawns. Nobody has anything "rare" yet?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all of this talk/response to a thread about gypsy camps, and they go live with a publish with a big bug with throwing.. nor acknowledge it. And sometimes wonder why people don't go testing things for them...

this is what irritates me about this game sometimes.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The only thing I have managed to find was a couple of resources! the sudden disappearance of the chests can be irritating though!

T

Trevelyan

Interesting.

Gypsies themselves also sometimes hoard a large (100+) pile of regs too.

T

Trevelyan

Gees, do these camps really have anything "rare"? Not heard anyone get anything rare at all other than large gem piles.

Maybe that is the "rare" thing :/

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have done many of these and only see increase to the occasional regs/gems and have seen nothing else besides the norm ! but they did say it was very rare !

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far after doing it on test and main shard...
I do about 4 plus hours a day and still nothing big.

Regs , lots of them..some staks of 60 - 98 gems...the diamonds are nice good haul there..

Afew rings and bracelet with interesting stats but thats it..

Any reason why when you double click a scroll from the chest it gives you a curor target but cant do anything with it?

I have noticed alot of Gypsy camps will spawn the tent only and no chest depending were they spawn..if to many houses around..

And the empty chest inside realy for anything other then looks?

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the empty chest inside realy for anything other then looks?
A long time ago, tents were a type of player-owned housing. The chest inside was the tent's secure storage. Gypsy camps use the same multi, so they have the built-in chest, but because it is a built-in part of the tent and part of the housing system, it doesn't spawn with loot. Basically, you can ignore that chest in every camp, because it'll never have anything in it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
30k in gold later (lord knows how many chests that is, more than 1000 though) nothing special!

Talk about rare!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best loot so far, a pile of 784 sulphurous ash. Still trying - shearing sheep as I go so at least I'm building my cloth stocks and the gems are handy for imbuing.

Satana

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just noticed that my house went improperly placed, figured it was because of the tent just a few feet in front it... sure enough when the tent disappeared my house went back to properly placed :D

Doubt it would affect anything cus it happens with player placed homes but wondering if the devs know about this issue?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I did another dozen camps today and nothing out of norm!
one thing I am noticing though and this is very consistent and that is extreme lag around the camps! now of course there are usually lots of houses near but this lag is way more than normal for me! town seems fine dungeons are fine even the abyss is ok but the brigand and gypsies camps are almost stopping me dead!

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best loot so far, a pile of 784 sulphurous ash. Still trying - shearing sheep as I go so at least I'm building my cloth stocks and the gems are handy for imbuing.
I second that and Trevelyan's post about the loot on gypsies. 1158 sulphurous ash and 1180 ginseng from the corpses of the poor gypsies. Tried a lot of chests in TC1 before the publish and saw that there are always two chests, both can be opened with magery, yet at different skill levels. (see: http://www.uoguide.com/Gypsy_Camp). So I bought a 120 magery ps and started to hunt with my tamer who wears about 1000 luck. Curiously, I started to see these 1k regs with this char for the first time while I wandered around with my treasure hunter (who wears 98 luck) for the last two weeks and never seen that much reg. So I believe luck has an effect on the drops.

Some treasure hunter friends were angry about the chests being opened with magery. Since the lockpicking requirement on those chests are not too high either, I think the second level chests on those camps being opened with legendary magery makes some sense. Yet again, I think all chests should be on the lockpickers domain but that's just me.

T

Trevelyan

So youre saying that 98 luck gives you better loot than 1000(+) luck?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I'm saying more luck gives better loot since the tamer with more luck got more frequent drops.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if any of you have tried this in fel. I spent about two and a half hours doing this today, both gypsy and brigand camps, and I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried some in fel on TC1 and didnt notice any difference too.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also get a big pile of regs or gems from time to time, but they do not spawn in the chests, but the gypsies hold them.

I have done ~4 hours per day for the last 4 days now and I still got nothing out of the norm. No check and no deco item. The only thing is that some gypsies carry neclaces without mods, that's all.

I also noticed that the healer camp, the warrior camp and the evil mage camp do not spawn anymore. Have they been removed or is it a bug?

T

Trevelyan

I think the chance of receiving an item is probably based on:

- Each day a number is picked between 1 and 100,000,000 * number of players online
- A second number is also generated on each server, based on the obejct ID of every player/item in existence.

Then two conditions are checked:

- Firstly, if your object ID is the same as that day's random ID, you have a chance of getting an item

- Then, a random number is chosen which, if it is the same as the first random number above, then the "rare" item is added to the pool if possible items that can spawn.

:D

Actually, ive noticed gypsy corpses (if you use UOA) have, often, 2 items more than are visible in the corpse. In both EC and classic client, these items cannot be seen.

(This is the cue for Mark to come in and say "Oh whoops we forgot to uncomment a line somewhere.. heh")

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Paragon golems also routinely indicate 1 or 2 more items than are actually in a corpse. It makes me wonder if the Rare music gears are being made rarer than they should be due to some coding error.

T

Trevelyan

You know, thats interesting, because I did wonder how I managed to get all 3 of the rares (twice almost) for my collection so quickly, when a few of us on Europa are now trying to get them with no luck at all (and seriously, some people have been killing a LOT)

I would actually like to know whether or not anything special has actually been obtained by anyone at all or if it has successfully spawned or not.

*hopes it isnt a case of a missing graphic is being used*