• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guys... we need to fix this Comma (,) issue in the Trade Window

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey,

I know this thread came up recently but it seems like such an easy fix and should be a priority in the next patch, i'm sure we're all tired of having to always double and even triple check everytime we make a purchase in the trade window. Both sides should see the exact same amount with commas clearly listing the amout being payed, please look into this

*Auction safes should be added to this as well

upload_2017-2-10_8-30-55.png

@Mesanna, @Kyronix and @Bleak

Last edited:

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Right, they are too busy with the steaming pile of crap that is the Doom revamp!
Honestly I think they're doing the best they can with what they have to work with, Doom obviously needed an update but I haven't checked it out so I can't comment on the problems there. However regarding this comma thingy, i'm really tired of always having to go over the amount of zero's i'm adding in the window and the fact that I might be leaving a 100m or 1b tip during most transactions...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However regarding this comma thingy, i'm really tired of always having to go over the amount of zero's i'm adding in the window and the fact that I might be leaving a 100m or 1b tip during most transactions...
The trade window could just be fixed with a hotfix I would think.

I kinda annoys me how they put stuff like a wedding package and rainbow unicorn mount a higher priority then fixing stuff like this and other bugs and don't even get me started on the account management.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have become a legendary number counter thanks to the lack of comas :D ... (one million has 6 zeros.. one hundred million has 8 zeros.. im good :rolleyes: )

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You do realize that most every country aside from English speaking ones uses a full stop instead of a ( , ) for large numbers right? They also use a ( , ) for decimals instead of a full stop.
A decimal point (.) or comma (,) makes no difference to me, as long as there's one of the two present then i'm happy

1.000.000 or 1,000,000 ≥ 1000000 :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Totally agree, not having it on both sides of the trade window is just plain silly, I can't imagine it would take much time to put this right!

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
You do realize that most every country aside from English speaking ones uses a full stop instead of a ( , ) for large numbers right? They also use a ( , ) for decimals instead of a full stop.
Don't forget raised periods, apostrophes, and spaces. :p How the world separates its digits

According to that page, the comma is the type used in Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, United Kingdom, and the USA. That hits the majority of UO players outside of Europa and Drach.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't forget raised periods, apostrophes, and spaces. :p How the world separates its digits

According to that page, the comma is the type used in Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, United Kingdom, and the USA. That hits the majority of UO players outside of Europa and Drach.
Now your just complicating stuff my fellow Canadian brother hehe :p

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hey,

I know this thread came up recently but it seems like such an easy fix and should be a priority in the next patch, i'm sure we're all tired of having to always double and even triple check everytime we make a purchase in the trade window. Both sides should see the exact same amount with commas clearly listing the amout being payed, please look into this

View attachment 61659

@Mesanna, @Kyronix and @Bleak

What he said :grouphug:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is just flat out being LAZY AF...
I don't know about lazy... disinterested more likely. And you really don't expect them to say anything do you? Not their style. Mum's the word.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Seems we finally got an official answer on this thread... sad it can't be fixed at this time :(

May's UO Newsletter
Can't.png

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems we finally got an official answer on this thread... sad it can't be fixed at this time :(

May's UO Newsletter
View attachment 67007
It's one of those things where they would have to seriously dig into the core EC. I think the still growing list of major EC bugs (ghost mobs, position desync in melee, complete lockup when opening containers, ...) speaks volumes of how keen they are on doing it.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's one of those things where they would have to seriously dig into the core EC. I think the still growing list of major EC bugs (ghost mobs, position desync in melee, complete lockup when opening containers, ...) speaks volumes of how keen they are on doing it.
If that's the case though, then why does the other side already have the commas? If one side has none.... and the other side does as shown in the original post... clearly someone dug into the core to add the commas to one side in the first place. Why didn't they just add it to both sides when they did that? If they could do it once, it seems like they should be able to do it again without much of an issue since they would remember how it was done the first time.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If that's the case though, then why does the other side already have the commas? If one side has none.... and the other side does as shown in the original post... clearly someone dug into the core to add the commas to one side in the first place. Why didn't they just add it to both sides when they did that? If they could do it once, it seems like they should be able to do it again without much of an issue since they would remember how it was done the first time.
That's a legit question, but it's really not that easy. Simply said: The one side is an input field, while the other side is only a static text string. The latter one does not change or the like, while the former one has to do formatting every time a user inputs a character or needs logic to skip the commas when you press backspace on your keyboard and likely some other little tidbits. In the end it's not rocket science, but back when EC was developed nobody added this and now it's not a priority for the Devs (since it's pretty bad "effort vs reward" I guess).

In context of current UO, the static string formatting is a thing of changing a single line of code. Reworking the input field can easily bind a developer for 1 or 2 or - if it gets dirty - even more days.

Software development on longstanding projects is 80% trying to understand what you're working on and then 20% getting actual stuff. Most of the issues we still see in EC imho come from the lack of time to properly "dig" into them. Reasons for that might be manifold as well, I dont even want to blame anyone here.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think one problem is that the people who implemented this originally are most likely have moved on. Current project manager likely does not think massive amounts of time needed to figure out someone else's code warrants a trivial QoL fix, while there is a good chance that our current programmer is not qualified to mess with the client's back end in the first place.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yay, now all of those with a 5th grade or lower education can stop getting scammed....what a game breaker...the comma.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The commas are not commaee enough. Please FIX IT!

Last edited:

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Software development on longstanding projects is 80% trying to understand what you're working on and then 20% getting actual stuff. Most of the issues we still see in EC imho come from the lack of time to properly "dig" into them. Reasons for that might be manifold as well, I dont even want to blame anyone here.
"I accidentally spent about an hour looking at my own code on accident. I was thinking - what the hell is this guy doing?"