• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greetings everyone!

• Thread starter UODevTracker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all!

They're letting me out briefly so I can say hello to the community. My name! It's Billy Teng! I'm one of the software engineers reporting under Derek "Supreem" Brinkmann and have been on the Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss project for the past six months. I'm on board to fix many of the bugs and provide functional improvements to the client side of things before release. It's an honor to be working on a game that has had such a rich history and community culture. My experiences with Ultima Online are relatively new and I'm gratified to see a truly open world MMO continue to exist. I play during my off-hours and have found some great and helpful players! The veterans in the studio have been very supportive and influential; their passion for Ultima Online really is unrivaled.

A little about myself. I was born and raised in New York. Before coming to Mythic Entertainment, I studied for my MSIT in a dual concentration of Game Design & Development and Computer Graphics Programming at the Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm a very big gaming geek and my palate for games is wide and varied. I've scoured across hundreds of New York City's bulletin board systems in the 2400 bps days searching for door games that involve slaying dragons of the red variety. I've spent a good number of years with a particular MUD that had a realm where dragons were unseen. And I gave up nights of sleep to chase after world first kills in various MMO raid-based encounters.

Moving across the spectrum, I love fighters. During the boom in the 90's, I've travelled through many of New York City's mom 'n pop shops looking for new challengers (we're still talking about games, not um... real fights). Console RPG's from the 16-bit era are some of my all-time faves. I dig many team-based first-person shooters. I'm a sucker for a game with an immersive story. And I'll definitely get into anything that's unique, fun, and challenging.

Currently, when I'm not at the studio, I'm enjoying short sessions of Soul Calibur IV, Team Fortress 2, and Castle Crashers. I do a little painting, inking, and photography on the side as my hobbies, too.

So, yeah! That's me! If you want to say hi, introduce yourselves to me, want to reminisce about games, or whatever, feel free!

Billy Teng aka "Axel"
Software Engineer
Ultima Online
Mythic Entertainment

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha I spell it Supreem because it never seems to be taken in those silly games that actually make you have a unique name. :p

Billy is awesome and he's been doing a great job so far! Glad he can finally come out and meet you guys.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

As a "behind-the-scenes" curiosity, are you a UO engineer, or a Mythic engineer that is assigned to UO:SA?
Hmm! Technically both, I suppose!

OMG! RIT is a good school. I was raised in Rochester and currently live a couple hours east of there. Are you native Rochester or elsewhere in NY? Yeah, I'm nosy ... darn few NY players that I can tell.
Indeed a New Yorker. I'm from New York City but I've spent considerable parts of my life in the upper regions of New York as well.

Sweet!
I wish I could afford to go through the GD&D masters program... I loved the classes that Andy taught while getting my BS in SE.
Absolutely! The staff in that department of RIT are amazing and inspirational. And they're a great bunch to hang around with, too!

16-bit console RPGs, eh? Axel.. I MUST ask you.. what do you think of Earthbound? PLEASE answer. :D
Yes! Earthbound FTW! I only wished more of the series made it stateside.

hehe, I still have my 16 bit Intelivision, and my 8 bit Atari 2600. Remember the game, "Adventure"?
While you are correct, I believe he was referring to the SNES/Genesis era of games, as that is what most people would refer to as "16-bit", accurate or no.

And Adventure is still fun even today. :D
Haha, Crysta's correct. Intellivision's before my time, but I did enjoy many great times with the Atari. I had a strange recollection of playing Taz among the other more popular classics while I was typing up my original post earlier.

Billy Teng aka "Axel"
Software Engineer
Ultima Online
Mythic Entertainment