• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragon Taming Locations

F

FuzZ

Where are your favorite spots to tame these? I checked most of their spawn spots and i think the easiest place would be the Valor Jungle along the mountains. Hardly any spawn by them which would make it easy to kill them for the respawned stats

LittleSkyWalker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My prefer spot.... Daemon Temple :)
You may want to lure away unwanted spawns (drakes, daemons and dragon) out of temple and find your perfect GD

N

NickyDishes

wind wind wind u can lure unwanted ones up to the guard zone and get em whacked to produce what u want......waiting for the perfect one now u could be there hours,even days, maybe weeks

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The easiest I've found have been at fire temple, but I've tamed in Wind too and it's alright as well. I just find the temple is slightly easier to work around, especially as you can pull out a dragon and tame it in open jungle without any spawn interfering.

Wenchy

R

RichDC

wind wind wind u can lure unwanted ones up to the guard zone and get em whacked to produce what u want......waiting for the perfect one now u could be there hours,even days, maybe weeks
As said, takes a while to set up. I tend to lure all the demons,drakes away down the east path and then kill the unwanted drags, nice loot as well

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always do it in Destard. Unless someone's taming them and not leaving the area with the newly tamed ones, there's always five of them in Destard to choose from.

I run through the dungeon first and see if anyone's hunting. If anyone else is there (kind of a rarity these days on many shards), I may just wait until a later time. Then I locate one or two out of the way corners where I like to do the taming and clear the spawn away from them as much as possible by killing things or dragging them off. Then I run around and lore all 5 greater dragons. If nothing's suitable, start killing them off and then check again. If I locate one I like, I pull it's bar. Area peace. Go into war mode. Start tapping on the dragon's bar to get it to follow my tamer. Gradually drag it to the area in the dungeon where I want to tame it, area peacing again and again as necessary to keep it somewhat docile and not burning up the tamer when it does cast on her. Run off screen of the GD and inviz if it had me targeted. Eat something and make sure tamer isn't extremely hungry. Gate to a stable and dump the nightmare I was riding. Honor self. Go back through gate. Run up to the greater dragon and start taming and pray that no one else comes along.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always do it in Destard. Unless someone's taming them and not leaving the area with the newly tamed ones, there's always five of them in Destard to choose from.

I run through the dungeon first and see if anyone's hunting. If anyone else is there (kind of a rarity these days on many shards), I may just wait until a later time. Then I locate one or two out of the way corners where I like to do the taming and clear the spawn away from them as much as possible by killing things or dragging them off. Then I run around and lore all 5 greater dragons. If nothing's suitable, start killing them off and then check again. If I locate one I like, I pull it's bar. Area peace. Go into war mode. Start tapping on the dragon's bar to get it to follow my tamer. Gradually drag it to the area in the dungeon where I want to tame it, area peacing again and again as necessary to keep it somewhat docile and not burning up the tamer when it does cast on her. Run off screen of the GD and inviz if it had me targeted. Eat something and make sure tamer isn't extremely hungry. Gate to a stable and dump the nightmare I was riding. Honor self. Go back through gate. Run up to the greater dragon and start taming and pray that no one else comes along.
The Fel version of Destard has twice as many Greater Dragons and in many ways a lot more open space to tame in. Just saying .....

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't realize there are more greater dragons in Fel Destard. May have to check it out some time. One thing I would be a bit leery of is that most of my tamers don't have lots of dex to handle pushing through stuff, plus you can't instant recall out of there. I guess if you hunt in Fel often enough, you eventually learn to avoid getting yourself boxed in by critters or take characters with plenty of dex and lots of potions.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't realize there are more greater dragons in Fel Destard. May have to check it out some time. One thing I would be a bit leery of is that most of my tamers don't have lots of dex to handle pushing through stuff, plus you can't instant recall out of there. I guess if you hunt in Fel often enough, you eventually learn to avoid getting yourself boxed in by critters or take characters with plenty of dex and lots of potions.
The Tamer I run through there is a Stealth Tamer (with Honor). I have never encountered another person in the Fel Destard while checking out the Greaters. In 12+ months I did encounter someone, once, while Mining in there and hit the G15 Key for repeat Last Object-Last Target instead of Hide, so he died and the twit killed my Blue Beetle. (I was there for the Granite).

It can be a bit unnerving at first because there are no Wyverns and I do not think there are any Drakes, Just Greater Dragons and Dragons and at times it can seem like it is Wall to Wall Dragons and Greater Dragons, as they appear to clump together. I do keep a finger on the Hide Hot key and a watchful eye for the "You have been revealed" message.

I am pretty darn sure there is around 10 Greaters. Having said that I have never noticed anything that would suggest that the Fel Greaters have a better chance to be better. They are just more numerous.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, after looking at various places I have yet to find a really convenient Greater Dragon location........

Fire Temple is annoying with the Drakes, Dragon and Daemon spawns.
Sure, one can drag them away before dealing with the Greater Dragons but the problem is, that after a while they come back.
It seems like there is a timer and after they have been away from their original spawn location they get back.

So, no good.

Wind has the problem that the Greater Dragon spawn location is also cluttered with Daemons and Dragons and is too far from town.
One needs to first clear the side spawn away (abd they come back after a while) and then each trip to town with a Greater Dragon on tail takes a good while and is annoyingly cluttered by narrow ways and stones blocking path.

So, no good either.

Destard has too many Dragon, Drakes and Greater Dragons and to single out Greater Dragons for re-spawn and taming purposes has to deal with annoying and dangerous side spawn which cannot be lured much away since they wander back, eventualy.

Ilshenar at Valor has a bunch of gazers all over making that singling out of Greater Dragons a pain.

The ki-rin passage takes forever to go there and find a good and clear way to re-spawn Greater Dragons and tame them and in case one dies it is a royal pain.....

Bottom line is, I have yet to find the ideal Greater Dragon spawn location that can allow one to farm them conveniently untill that good one has spawned.........

If anyone knows a good location where Greater Dragons can be singled out for re-spawn purposes and taming them and with the possibility to res in case of death well, let us know.
Thanks.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire temple is about as easy as it's going to get IMHO. I used my shepherd sometimes to pull the unwanted spawn over to the other side and worked it that way, but I've also just pulled them over and invised myself. A shepherd can also herd the dragons and drakes into the building to lock them in, but it's not essential.

I tend to keep the single spawn of GDs as clear as I can, but for extra safety you can tell your pet to kill then "all stop, all follow me" to pull it back out into the open area at the front with the greater following you. Then if you see one of the other beasts coming out to play, you can call your pet out the front entrance if necessary and minimise the trouble. Afterwards, tuck the errant critter back to the right hand side and go get the next GD.

That said once I've moved the spawn I've not had to do that more than once in a blue moon.

Wenchy

S

sofaking

Are there any spots where just one greater spawns by its self?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't mind moving the spawn at the fire temple before you start, that spawn can be isolated down to 1 dragon. But you need to move the spawn over or it won't work ;)

Wenchy

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pretty certain the Greater Dragon in Kirin Pass (Illshenar where the Nightmare and Kiren spawn) is a single spawn Greater Dragon. You go to were the Kirin Spawns, keep on going past the Poison Elemental Pool and hang a left will take you to where the Greater Dragon is.

It of course has a pair of Drakes and Dragons and Greater Mongbats. Get those out of the way and you should be alone. Bad news is when Paragons are present :(

Now just my 2cp's

Once your familure with Destard that is the best place to reliably get good Greater Dragons. Not because they spawn bigger there, but because they spawn more of them. For that reason, I tend to Find better ones more frequently in Destard Felluca as it has twice as many as Destard Trammel.