• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragon skills: tactics vs. magery

Ingstein

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

when you've got weigh skills for your GD, do you choose tactics over magery?

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

Well that's a difficult question to be honest. What I dis was farm all the GD spots for weeks until I got one with both.

The first good GD (4.3) I came across is this one :

Hit Points: 907
Str/Dex/Int: 631 / 125 / 560
Resists: 85 / 90 / 46 / 57 / 66

Skills:
Wrestling: 118.8
Tactics: 114.1
Resist: 103.7
Magery: 116.1
Gm anat, eval int and med

I was quite impressed with what he could do compared with my previous 3.8 that I gave to another tamer.

Still I continued checking the GD spots and one day found this one (4.4)

Hit Points: 975
Str/Dex/Int: 604 / 125 / 603
Resists: 85 / 89 / 44 / 55 / 61

Skills:
Wrestling: 125.3
Tactics: 119
Resist: 108
Magery: 116.1
Gm anat, eval int and med

And for such minor differences she is very more powerfull.

For exemple both can eat balrons, the second one a bit faster but it's not that big a difference, but when a paragon spawns I have a hard time keeping the first one alive while the second still needs a lot of vet but is way easier to manage, and also the time needed to kill the para balron is way shorter for the second.

But I would have a hard time telling you if the difference comes from the higher wrestl/tactics alone or if the 70 more HP have also something to do with it.
Again I don't have another GD similar to the first in wrest/tactics but with higher magery to compare, so I couldn't tell you if that would be a more powerfull combination or not.

What I can tell you is that my honor is always maxed and I still regularly check the GD spots in the hopes of finding the elusive almost perfect one :p

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts on the matter are that Wrestling and tactics are far more important. I base this on a few reasons. I would hunt high end from champs to peerless regularly with mine. While good Magery is nice it is still subject to the mana pool of the pet. In a long drawn out battle this pool is usually gone quickly, leaving the Dragon to fend for itself with its fighting skills. The higher fighting skills mean several things It is getting hit less, hitting harder and doing more damage, while taking less. And Wenchkin will correct me if I am wrong but Strength and HP's determine the firebreath damage of the dragon as well so this is also affected by the fact its taking less damage. In the case of Jeza's second dragon His pets higher wrestling and Hp's are the reason the difference is so noticeable.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it's a good analysis, and makes perfectly sens. So while looking for the uber dragon I certainly will check Str/HP and wrest tactics first.

Regarding what you said about hunting peerless and champ with your GD, if you could give me some pointers (like which ones, tactics what to be careful about that sort of thing) ? I did a post about it (one or two below this one) so maybe there as not to pollute this one :embarrassed:

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
from the view of pvp you want to get one with high str hp and wrest, tact, resis above 120 trained. good point on the mana pool being expended.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slobberknocker it's not the first time I hear that for PVP the str/hp of the pets are more important than the resists.

I never PVP so I know next to nothing about it, out of curiosity, could you explain why ?
Not that it will prevent me to go ooOoo next time I see a red but at least I'll have learned something :p

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
high str, coupled with above 120 wrestling and tactics means ur pet does more damage as a player can only top out at 120. also your pets mana pool is limited so after the initial burst, he really becomes more of a tank. the plus 120 resist takes care of the para spam against him.

at least thats the way of pvp thinking. if you can tame one of those there worth quite a bit still on a high pop. prodo shard.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I get that, that's what we want also for PVM, but have to be carefull about resists also.
Because as you pointed out, he'll soon be out of mana, and even with high str/wrest he doesn't deal that much damage and becomes more of a tank.
As a Tank he needs high resists or even with his high HP he'll soon be dead. That's PVM thinking at least, and why I never figured out why PVP would overlook resists.

I guess fights are shorter in PVP ?

And as for the price of a good GD, my shard is quite empty unfortunately so I don't see making much money with it.