• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Google Mapped Sosaria!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are delighted and proud to announce to the community our new, interactive maps. Our profound thanks go to the generous posters of Stratics community, and most especially Lord Nabin for making this possible. The maps are found under the heading ‘Maps and Locations’ on http://uo2.stratics.com or from the links below Atlas – Felucca Atlas […]

Read the whole post here.

The Old Man

Journeyman
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Yes being able to open just the map in it's own tab or window would be useful.

More importantly (for me) is the labels...Hopefully this is an ongoing project and labels for shops, npcs, places of interest etc are going to be added.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The window is too small - should go to full screen, and some of the label holders are too short, and cut off so much of the label you can't see what it is. Anyway to fix that?

Other than that, it is fast and smooth. Looks great!

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UOCartographer does the same job and looks the same. For $300 I would have expected who ever was doing the job to have put the land map into Bryce 7 and let it generate a 3d moulded landscape map that you could have zoomed in and out of.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
It's very neat, but how does this differ from UOAM or UOC? Other than the no multi user connectivity or player tracker.

I think a need addition to this could be a Google Street View-esque sort of thing where users can upload screenshots to render a larger image that essentially allows them to view the game, but without actually being in it. Perhaps have an option to upload screenshots from multiple servers and cycle through the servers.

For example: User A goes to Chaos Shrine in Felucca on Atl, runs around and grabs some screenshots then uploads them. They can be mapped to association via the coordinates. Then User B goes to Chaos Shrine Felucca on Catskills, grabs a load of screenshots and uploads them, now any user who is curious about the Chaos Shrine area in Felucca can simply pan over to it, select the shrine and be able to change the server they're viewing it on. That way they can view the area from the point of view of another player.

Flair

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well I thought it was a cool idea and the map came out great! Keep up the good work!

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I would have thought the difference was rather patently obvious. It's not in game, it's on a website.
But UOC and UOAM are neither ingame either. And don't require to be ingame to use it.

Anyways, very neat project :>

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate being able to zoom in on the maps while on a website, but am wondering if there are any plans to eventually let us type in coordinates and then see that location highlighted on the map, like the old map used to let us do?

I play UO using the Classic Client and nothing else (i.e., no UO Assist or anything else that depends on it). So I've learned to make do when trying to find MIB and t-map locations by looking at a world map and guesstimating where things are just based on where I remember that subserver lines are, the general coordinates for the sea market, or the coordinates for various landmarks shown in rune books and using them as reference points to begin running or sailing to map or MIB coordinates. Unfortunately, that's not quite so easy to do with Ilshenar because you can't mark runes there. So, once in a while, I would still find it useful to be able to enter coordinates as we used to be able to do with the previous "interactive" maps and see the location marked on the map.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well, it would be neat to see who's where. And a blinking lightbulb once a champion or the harrower is up. Add the properties, players and landmarks of all shards as "layers" that can be enabled and disabled.
Oh and if you zoom on Britain a little an indicator would be awesome: An indicator of how many people are gathering for an Arcane Focus gem (assuming all Britains on all shards have the circle at WBB).
Help people meet up. Help people find other people. Add support for the now in game vendor search, too! --> Help finding items! Help players find customers!

Players that are visible on the map should also be allowed to add a status message - maybe 140 characters. Like: "Waiting at WBB, need Arcane Circle" or "WTS: Minax artifacts, meet at Luna moongate". Also: "Need LRC suit, can't find on vendors, meet at WBB". And: "Got all keys for Medusa, looking for group! Meet at Luna moongate!"

These are things that would come to my mind. Things that I would think they would add usefulness. @Petra Fyde, you had a dream come true, now let's please finish this dream together. Let's make it a dream come true not only for you but for all UO players. Let us add usefulness, let's add liveliness. Right now your beautiful map is as dead as most of the under populated (a.k.a. dead) shards. No offense meant.

Please don't answer with "we don't have enough developers at Broadsword, we don't have the capabilities [to make this game fun again]". I am so sick of hearing this. UO needs liveliness and less death. Something just needs to be happening.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, I wish I could wave a magic wand and grant all these fanciful requests, but I'm afraid what we have is all we get.
If someone else has the ability to do better I bow down to them. I don't.

The developer, not being a UO player, could only work with such information as I could give them. My technical knowledge and ability proved to be inadequate to the task when it came to providing sufficient information to add co-ordinates - nor am I in any way sure that it would have been possible even if I could have.

There is absolutely no way our map, no matter how talented the developer had been, could glean information directly from the game servers.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Its a nice map, and its well done. It s also a UO tradition to complain about absolutely everything, so I would say that makes it a success; its when they don't complain that you should worry......