• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Good general mage template?

S

Seismic

I was hoping to get some input as to the playability of my PVM mage template:

120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Magery
110 Meditation
100 Resisting Spells
100 Spellweaving
100 Inscription
60 Anatomy

I have Anatomy listed in my spreadsheet but it's been awhile and I am not sure what bonus it will give me, especially at only 60. Can someone clue me in please?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You included the anatomy for the defensive bonus, which is your anatomy averaged with your EI + 20 points. So it works out slightly better than wrestle for defense, and is not truly needed, especially if you can find a mage weapon.

Your choices to give you a slight edge further in that regard are:
1. Keep anatomy. 110 defensive wrestling isn't all that bad.
2. Drop anatomy for focus (for reasons stated above). Your defensive abilities will suffer until you get yourself a staff of the magi or staff of pyros or blades of prosperity, but if you're doing it right, you aren't standing around while things beat on you anyhow.
3. Drop anatomy and increase weaving, resist and meditation to 120. That would be my preferred option, since the extra 20 points of weaving really does help. It will also give you 10-20 extra skill points (looks like you have 10 extra) which you can't use if you're human.
4. Drop anatomy and pick up chivalry. This gives you a more effective cure spell and a remove curse spell that I really love having. You need 50-60 points of chivalry to cast remove curse and cure poison reliably.

So as is, it is a VERY playable template. Adjusting it to your preferred tactics is the only way to improve it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My mage is currently
120 Magery
115 Eval
100 Med
100 Resist
100 Inscription (or Fishing, if I'm in the mood - I'm also considering adding spellweaving as an option, if I can find the time to train it on a character and stone it over)
100 Tactics
85 Chivalry

An odd combination, to be sure, but it gives me the defensive options with one of the -0 weapons, and the ability to actually beat down stuff if I need (I can kill sea serpents with melee by switching to my weapon, when fishing - and I can actually take down Ice Fiends and similar creatures in melee as well, if they get through my EVs and spells).

One of the nice features, is when I go to fight Melisande with friends. I swap out my jewelry to offset my bow's Mage weapon penalty, cast Earth Eles as needed, cast Enemy of one, and then maintain a higher DPS with my bow than I ever managed with spells, saving my mana to heal the others' pets (or them, if she gets too close)and recast the eles. My normal jewelry is 3/6, while my magery jewelry is 1/2 (but FC is hardly an issue when casting an earth elemental about once per minute). Before I added the tactics and started using a bow, I had 0% chance of getting looting rights on a peerless, if we dropped the party. After adopting this tactic, it became 100%.

S

Seismic

My mage is currently
120 Magery
115 Eval
100 Med
100 Resist
100 Inscription (or Fishing, if I'm in the mood - I'm also considering adding spellweaving as an option, if I can find the time to train it on a character and stone it over)
100 Tactics
85 Chivalry

An odd combination, to be sure, but it gives me the defensive options with one of the -0 weapons, and the ability to actually beat down stuff if I need (I can kill sea serpents with melee by switching to my weapon, when fishing - and I can actually take down Ice Fiends and similar creatures in melee as well, if they get through my EVs and spells).

One of the nice features, is when I go to fight Melisande with friends. I swap out my jewelry to offset my bow's Mage weapon penalty, cast Earth Eles as needed, cast Enemy of one, and then maintain a higher DPS with my bow than I ever managed with spells, saving my mana to heal the others' pets (or them, if she gets too close)and recast the eles. My normal jewelry is 3/6, while my magery jewelry is 1/2 (but FC is hardly an issue when casting an earth elemental about once per minute). Before I added the tactics and started using a bow, I had 0% chance of getting looting rights on a peerless, if we dropped the party. After adopting this tactic, it became 100%.
Wow, now THAT is an interesting template :).

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I'd throw out my mages current temp and see what kind of tweaking you guys recommend.

Magery 120
Spellweaving 120
Meditation 110 (120 with my briches on)
Eval 115 (still looking for the 120)
Focus 100
Inscription 100
Resist 55

Any thoughts? She does well in Doom, lots of mana regen so lots of spells with a super slayer for everything, (just have to remember to equip the right one ;/). But yet I feel she's needs tweaking, besides the needed 120.

S

Seismic

My mage is currently
120 Magery
115 Eval
100 Med
100 Resist
100 Tactics
85 Chivalry

I've not yet done peerless (returning player - been playing 2 yrs on this acct) but can't you just cast Fireball or EB to get the looting rights as a mage, rather than resort to having to use a melee wep?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've not yet done peerless (returning player - been playing 2 yrs on this acct) but can't you just cast Fireball or EB to get the looting rights as a mage, rather than resort to having to use a melee wep?
I tried that - went TEN peerless in a row with no rights, and said to hell with it. Most people, when hunting peerless as a group, will break the party at some point, so that each person gets their own instanced corpse (so that if a high-value item like a crimson drops, it's random luck, not who has the fastest looting ability, as to who gets it)

And, it wasn't a melee weapon. A bow is a ranged weapon. So, I could sit back, fire off arrows faster than my 2/6 casting (with my normal equipment, not my jewelry for bow use) was letting me, and doing 25+ points per hit. All while saving my mana for my 30-mana (gotta love 40% LMC) Earth eles, which do about 15-20 points per hit as well, as well as the occasional Dispel against revenants (God, does Melisande seem to spam that spell).

All casting EBs, fireballs, etc. was doing was draining my mana pool with no appreciable effect. Of course, my mage weapon bow of choice has Hit mana leech AND hit Fireball on it. Even with GM med, 110 mana, 40% LMC and 6 mana regen, I was ending up with an empty mana pool, within a minute, and after that I was lucky to get off a third of the spells I do normally, leading to the utter lack of damage for determining looting rights.

One would be nuts to go into melee against Parox, Grizzle, Travesty or Melisande (and it's not too healthy vs. the Effusion, either), unless you're playing one of those sampire gimplates.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My non sampire samurai used to go with a group of three samurai to Paroxysmus and Travesty. We never had issues.

On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of doing them ALONE without my sampire.

I've always taken my mage to Mel, but I think that the spell weaving pretty much insures that I get some looting rights, even when everyone else is a tamer and/or archer. (my job is usually making walls, but I do take time off to cast EVs)

And I do very well in Doom as well. Having all the super slayer books helps.

Template:
110 magery
110 meditation
115 EI
115 resist
100 wrestle
110 weaving
50 chivalry (remove curse is great when your melee friends are being slaughtered by flesh renderers)
Eventually, I'll go 120 in just the first 6 skills, but first I have to earn the scrolls.

S

Saris

I saw this thread and thought I would share my mage template.

120 spell weaving
115 mage(would be 120 but I refuse to buy the scroll as this guy will find one someday)
100 necro
110 ss
110 eval
100 hiding
100 stealth
50 med
20 focus

this is with items btw as it goes beyond the 720 skill cap

I never fail to get looting rights in peerless, often I do top damage on a few
If you got back up and a LV6 focus it is a champ spawing machine.
Ablitly to PVM big time and PVP with gear changes

I run him with 100 sdi for pvm
lots of mana regen, wraith form, and lots of hp regen plus 99 lrc, an arcane robes, or boots, or cloak, or whatever You kinda need the orny and the crystaline ring to make it work. FC4 FCR6 gives you 3 sec WOD

Only problems are Expensive! and keyboard lacks the free keys to set up all the hot keys I need and its a bit confusing at first, but what I realy like is he always has a way to get the job done.