• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gold Sink Idea] Remove Curse [Mage Guild Master]

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now that global loot is in, now may be the time for this idea.

Just like the mage guild master can add or remove mage armor for 250k lets allow him to remove curse or even upgrade items from say brittle to antique and so on for a price of course. 250k Seems way low though imo for this kind of luxury and it really doesn't sink much. Take it upwards to even a mil perhaps?

FYI
Myself and about 70 players just in my group of friends left a free server to come back to OSI because loot was simplified and made so that anyone can easily put a suit together. This was a great addition to the game. Many players left with AOS because items needed to compete either cost too much or took too long to get. The casual gamer wasn't going to take the time to get them or even learn how to.

Sure things were added later like imbueing and reforging but the casual gamer also wasn't going to take the time to learn all that goes into it. With the most recent changes we are now seeing a mass exodus from free servers and those players are giving OSI a chance again. They are pissed that it is like pulling teeth to get their accounts back so maybe lets work on that too:)

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think with a little more thought that this could be an excellent gold sink. It could factor off of Property weight. Some of the cursed items are insane, I wouldn't want them losing their cursed status unless it was in the 100's of millions otherwise the clean legendary's would lose their value. Maybe set a count to 5 or less properties as well?

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think with a little more thought that this could be an excellent gold sink. It could factor off of Property weight. Some of the cursed items are insane, I wouldn't want them losing their cursed status unless it was in the 100's of millions otherwise the clean legendary's would lose their value. Maybe set a count to 5 or less properties as well?
Oh yes, I thought 1m was low man. After talking to a bunch of people just since posting this I think your idea of basing it off of property weight is a fantastic idea. I personally would sink 100's of millions for the right perfect piece. I think many others would too. This is a great way to close the gap between new players who have very little gold and vet players who have quite a bit. It kind of hurts the newer players some until the gold gap is closer but eventually it should in a perfect world be more balanced all around.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I support this, however: Remove curse has to be 10 mil or more. Because some pieces are so insanely good... Shame, that I unraveled them all. But yes, would be a nice addition to the game!

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I support this, however: Remove curse has to be 10 mil or more. Because some pieces are so insanely good... Shame, that I unraveled them all. But yes, would be a nice addition to the game!
The general consensus so far is that 1m was too low. I really like the above idea of working item property weight into this. It would be simple for them to even cap the weight if they wanted to. Or just make items that are ungodly a billion to sink:)

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd actually say this is a bad idea......thhere is already enough advantage in PvP tied to $$. If you have the cash you've already got the ability to buy better gear than your opponent. I don't like the idea that throwing MORE real life money at UO would equate to more PvP advantage than it already does. I could see some sort of HUGE PvP reward grind perhaps tied with a HUGE gold cost providing a service like this. I would consider nasty limitations though... Shard bound or becomes cursed again if transfered etc... Picture 1 mill silver points for access to the Royal forges and the ability to remove cursed on 1 item...aand if item leaves shard it reverts or some such craziness.... as it stands Antique and Prized and Brittle are like 10x more likely atm.... so it's only a matter of time before they are seen in use...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd gladly pay 10 million to remove curse from items... I think it's an excellent gold sink idea. I'd even be ok if it changed from Cursed to "Prized"..... and costed more in insurance to keep but it would be well worth it. As for changing it to Antique... I'd rather leave it cursed..... I will NEVER use Antique items as I don't use Cursed either...... waste of time and money to build a suit around stuff that's not going to last long enough to make it worth the cost.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brittle is better than antique.
Brittle = powdered to max and imbued.
Antique = 10x faster durability loss.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for cursed removal for money - set crazy high price with 3 or more random mods removal for balance.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd actually say this is a bad idea......thhere is already enough advantage in PvP tied to $$. If you have the cash you've already got the ability to buy better gear than your opponent. I don't like the idea that throwing MORE real life money at UO would equate to more PvP advantage than it already does. I could see some sort of HUGE PvP reward grind perhaps tied with a HUGE gold cost providing a service like this. I would consider nasty limitations though... Shard bound or becomes cursed again if transfered etc... Picture 1 mill silver points for access to the Royal forges and the ability to remove cursed on 1 item...aand if item leaves shard it reverts or some such craziness.... as it stands Antique and Prized and Brittle are like 10x more likely atm.... so it's only a matter of time before they are seen in use...

You are entirely wrong sir. And here is why.

Capped Mods! (Everyone will soon have a suit with max mods all capped as its not hard at all to get one now. (Capped is a very key word in this as you can only build a suit to CAPS and its very simple to do)

I quit last year sometime and completely had everything gone by April. Gold, accounts, even my EA master login because I was never coming back. I had nothing.

3 Days ago I created a 14 day trial, bought the 2 expansions that I needed and went to work making a character to GM skills after a friend gave me a simple suit to work skills in.

I macroed a day pretty much while farming in the new global loot system. I am getting 5-10 legendarys an hour. Any noob character can do this.

My suit after 3 days of macroing and farming?

Garg Stone Suit
55 LMC
105 LRC
25 HP Increase
24 Mana Increase
5 Stam Increase
10 SSI
15 SDI
50 Enhance Potions
30 Mana Regeneration
24 HP Regeneration
10 Stamina Regeneration
14 Casting Focus
40 DCI (By Design)
20 HCI
Resists are corpse proof and I refined to 75 fire. Actual resists are (74 86 77 92 85)

You see you can only do so much with a suit and its not hard to do it at all now. That sir is a very good thing. Its allowed players who would still be on free servers to come back here and actually be competitive. As long as CAPS are in place and a suit can actually reach a point where it maxes out then it doesnt matter at all how great one individual piece is. Not while there are caps and as long as anyone can easily reach these caps.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would support this. most the negatives are useable anyway, so high end gear is much more available to all thru hunting. to keep demand up for gear, id say 50mil per 100 weight over 500, or 300mil flat fee would be fair considering how intense cursed can be.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 million gold to replace cursed with Prized, or maybe even have it just roll a random negative, for 1 million gold per attempt.

Interesting idea though.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
btw, mith is pro when it comes to loot. hes the most knowledgeable guy that i know of when it comes on how to get the best loot, and proved it by getting into the shame game wayyyy before anyone else. he didnt pay billions for peices, he made billions.

so point is, you dont need to be rich to get good loot. you might become rich, but absolutely DO NOT need to pay for high end gear.

if someone would like to pay a hefty fee to clean a cursed item, i see no reason to prevent it now with the overall availability of such high end gear, as long as that fee is high enough so as not to replace hunting.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
btw, mith is pro when it comes to loot. hes the most knowledgeable guy that i know of when it comes on how to get the best loot, and proved it by getting into the shame game wayyyy before anyone else. he didnt pay billions for peices, he made billions.

so point is, you dont need to be rich to get good loot. you might become rich, but absolutely DO NOT need to pay for high end gear.

if someone would like to pay a hefty fee to clean a cursed item, i see no reason to prevent it now with the overall availability of such high end gear, as long as that fee is high enough so as not to replace hunting.
Thats the key to it all man. You don't need money to make money now with this and honestly how loot is now there's VERY little money to be made. That's what makes this great. That the new players or the ones who don't have much can now be on the same level with everyone.

We now have the opportunity to sink gold out of the game at a very high rate. This is a way to do it. I know for certain that when I left UO that I had 400 BILLION and that now it's in the hands of others. That gold is still in the game. I know that EA can tell us just how much is sitting on all of the accounts, active, inactive, banned, etc too. I'd be very interested in knowing how much is in game. Then once better sinks are implemented knowing how much is sunk out monthly or something. This game is now moving in the right direction. Lets continue to add things that will help it keep going that way.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

I seem to remember Mith paying me 1.1b for a 20hci 10ssi ring ;)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Man. I'd like to know how you're managing to get loot like that.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be ok with something like this but it would need some serious thinking about on the best way / price to implement it.

On the flip side I would be so annoyed as I've had some amazing cursed items that I unraveled!

Melisande Chessy

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of people seem to think everyone is rich in game. I'm not even close to rich and I know others that are not rich either.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With or without a luck suit?
Without a luck suit. I've posted screencaps of some fantastic stuff while only wearing 40 Luck (-100 Brace & Blackthorn Hooded Robe)...and as far as where I've gotten them, I can PM you the location.

Nephilim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That Atl Luna IDOC a few days ago i got a 10SSI 5stam 5hci ring completely clean off one of the harbringers someone popped. ALL I did was magic arrow it for kicks...

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all in for goldsinks, but i can't support this idea.
The reason for this is,
If the casual player as the OP talks about cant get decent gear in reasnable time, then this game aren't for him/her.. its so easy.
Making a decent luck suit..is fairly easy also.
Imbue 6xpieces with 90 luck, then enhance with gold/spinned..Yes u will break alot, but u get almost free 130 luck pices..and u have the basics for getting better gear :)

So a big NO.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without a luck suit. I've posted screencaps of some fantastic stuff while only wearing 40 Luck (-100 Brace & Blackthorn Hooded Robe)...and as far as where I've gotten them, I can PM you the location.
Any chance you could PM me that location? :p

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say 1 mil for a chance in the wishing well.... 1 in 100 chance it loses its curse, 5 in 100 it exchanges its negative for another and 93 in a 100 it goes poof.

-Lore's Player

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I completely support this idea for a gold sink :)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given what I've seen from the new loot system, a system to remove the cursed mod doesn't seem necessary. If an item's being cursed kills it for you (as it would for me -- I fight stuff that loots way too often), just keep hunting and sooner or later you'll find something that'll meet your needs that also is not cursed.

-Galen's player

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given what I've seen from the new loot system, a system to remove the cursed mod doesn't seem necessary. If an item's being cursed kills it for you (as it would for me -- I fight stuff that loots way too often), just keep hunting and sooner or later you'll find something that'll meet your needs that also is not cursed.

-Galen's player
I think you're right. I've been impressed how many items are not cursed now. I'm not against a system to remove cursed, but I don't know that it's worth the trouble to develop anymore.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove Curse
3 attempts before it breaks

1st attempt
5mil 5% success
2nd attempt
10m 15% success
3rd attempt
20m 30% success

If failed all 3 poof!

Remove Brittle
5 attempts before breaks
1st attempt
1m 5% success
2nd attempt
5m 10% success
3rd attempt
10m 15% success
4th attempt
15m 20% success
5th attempt
20m 45% success

If all 5 fail it bumps durability to 500/500 as it can't be powdered anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe make it "formerly cursed" and have a really high insurance cost too..

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove Curse
3 attempts before it breaks

1st attempt
5mil 5% success
2nd attempt
10m 15% success
3rd attempt
20m 30% success

If failed all 3 poof!

Remove Brittle
5 attempts before breaks
1st attempt
1m 5% success
2nd attempt
5m 10% success
3rd attempt
10m 15% success
4th attempt
15m 20% success
5th attempt
20m 45% success

If all 5 fail it bumps durability to 500/500 as it can't be powdered anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled a Brittle Int Bonus 5, Mana Inc 2, MR 3, LMC 8, LRC 5, 15/23/25/28/23 Bandana off of Exodus last night. Brittle is already repairable and defaulted to 255 durability, so why make it last any longer?