• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Going Negative Defense Chance?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there's an archer on Atlantic that puts players into negative defense chance (I've seen -15 and -25 on the status bar). I wasn't aware players could go into negative numbers until this guy hits me 9 times in a row, never missing. I had to click my status bar to see what was going on, I was at -15% defense chance. My template at the time was a 115 parry mage w/ 45 DCI and 120wrestle.

This guy dismounts me on the far side of the east bridge in Despise, chases me across the island, over the west bridge, then teleports (with me) onto the ledge when I'm trying to get away. I counted 9 hits in a row.

I've read several threads about HLD and DCI on Stratics and UOGuide. I've read monsters can go negative in DCI so I guess its possible for players also? Anyone know for sure about this?

The player that does this (when asked) defended himself saying its part of "Focused Attack". If he has a 50-70%HLD weapon & casts focused attack.... does that knock players into negative numbers?

I would test this myself but I have no character set up for this currently and have no weapons to use for the test. Much appreciated if anyone can clear this up for me, thanks ! :)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I know, the % on HLD is only the proc chance. Every time HLD goes off on me, it drops my DCI from 45 to 30. I'm fairly sure Focus Attack has nothing to do with it, but as I don't pvp on dexers, I couldn't say for certain.

However, I will ask you one question: were you in a party with a Bard that dropped it while Mastery buffs were active? I can't think of any other way to cause negative DCI.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only way you can get -25% dci from HLD alone is if you had 0 DCI when you were hit by it.

Otherwise, bard songs could put you into negative dci if you logout/lose connection while under the effects of them (the peacing songs).
could be a new bug though, I haven't played much UO in the last few weeks.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can't be focus attack. you can't use that with archery weapons. if you try you get the message "you must be wielding a melee weapon without a shield to use this ability". sounds to me like he was exploiting some kinda bug.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
also focus attack only increases the procure chance of hld and other mods on your weapon, not the actual effect.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was no bard in despise when we were fighting, I wasn't partied, & I always run 45% DCI on my parry mage.
Yea, I've never been put in negative DCI before so it was kinda weird. Another guild mate noticed the same thing.

Don't think is was an elven composite with force arrow since I was getting hit w/ mortal blows & AIs as I ran on foot.
I'll keep an eye open to see what weps hes using but I think it was a crossbow & regular composite being switched out.
Thanks for the replies :) I'll just page when I see him do this again as it appears to be a bugged character.