• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

giving peace a chance... vs greater dragons :/

D

Detharleon

Ok, so I know the tame chance on a dragon in general is like 1 in 20 but should the peace attempts be that bad? I just wanted to see how much different they were from a regular dragon. Haven't played in about 2 years, dragons used to be crunchy and good with ketchsup.

120 music, 115 peace making, 115 taming (w/ jewels unfortunately), dragon slayer instrument. I spent about 90 minutes yesterday west of valor in Illish just trying to live long enough while constantly failing to peace the beasty. I maybe was able to sucessfully peace it 6 times in that time period, then of course go up to it and poke it with a sharp stick and try to run away on a failed tame.

Is that just par for the course or was I having a really bad day?

thanks,

Detharleon

I

imported_Sarphus

AE peace is very effective against super dragons and you only need 200 skill pts to have 100% success with it.

I haven't tried target peace yet. When lead taming them, AE peace is one of those tools that I think is extremely effective, though. For starters, it's one of the top defenses for breath attacks.

A

Antion_Vallin

Have you tried Peacemaking while the Dragon is under the effect of Discordance? Discordance lowers the skills and resistances of the creature by a percentage, not by a hard amount. It is also easier to Discord a creature than it is to Peace it. This will greatly reduce the Dragons barding difficulty, making them easier to both Peace and farm.
Let's keep in mind this is an MMO. To pull this off you CAN get somebody to help you rather than trying to fit both Discordance and Peacemaking on your Tamer. Also, your really gonna need 120 Peacemaking to even bother with a creature like this.

There's always the "Honorable" path to Taming these Dragons, if ya know what I mean.

D

Detharleon

Now here I was thinking the opposite applied that AE peace was the weaker option. I only ever use that as an 'oh %!$@' option, although despite the fact that I said that several times yesterday I dont think I actually tried it.

I'll give that a try tonight... certainly dont have my honor or fame to worry about as I've gone from 'glorious lord' to 'trustworthy' in about 2 days back :p

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use my bard to help my friend tame a new Dragon. My bard got 120 Discord and Peace. And even With a Slayer weapon i failed alot in trying to peace the dragons.

We did get it done eventualy with 1 death each on 2 new dragons.

A

Antion_Vallin

What did the 160 difficulty on the Dragon drop to once Discorded? My Tamers Discordance is still below 110.

G

poking it with a sharp stick is not a recommended idea
I use a sc0 bow.

I made my peacing attempts from the back of my ethy, only dismounting for the actual tame attempt.

It is possible to peace-tame one, it does take a long time, but you do get a real sense of achievement when you succeed.

J

J0KING

I got my first one last night using Area Peace and invis... and lots of death... lots

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

What did the 160 difficulty on the Dragon drop to once Discorded? My Tamers Discordance is still below 110.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will vary. Since 160 is the cap, dragons that are way over the cap will have a lot higher bard difficulty than dragons that are just barely in the 160 range.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Now here I was thinking the opposite applied that AE peace was the weaker option. I only ever use that as an 'oh %!$@' option, although despite the fact that I said that several times yesterday I dont think I actually tried it.

I'll give that a try tonight... certainly dont have my honor or fame to worry about as I've gone from 'glorious lord' to 'trustworthy' in about 2 days back :p

[/ QUOTE ]

With 120 music and 120 peacemaking, you should be able to area peace the greater dragons most of the time, even if you're not using a dragon or reptile slayer instrument.

Note: If you are part of a small team working on getting greater dragons, be aware that the area peacing may cause problems for any EVs being used to beat up the dragons and can cause the dragon to unexpectedly switch targets if several people are doing things to beat up the dragon before someone makes a taming attempt.

I

imported_Sarphus

AE peace isn't difficulty based. It's success based.

with GM music and peacemaking you will never fail AE peace with any instrument. If there is a spell in mid air when you AE peace, the monster will retarget you when the spell lands, so you need to be careful to time your AE peace at the proper time.

the reason I said AE peace is best for these dragons is that you can interrupt their firebreath before they get it off, or it can buy you a few seconds to heal if they teleport on top of you and take a nibble. My preference for lead taming these dragons would be on a peace/tamer. I usually lead tame them on a provoke or discord tamer just because I'm too lazy to change my template. It's certainly easier on a peace tamer.