• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ghost of UO Atlantic Past...

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings... I was just feeling nostalgic and decided to check up on good old Ultima Online, so I sauntered over to the UO Stratics Altantic forums to see if I recognized any names.

I played UO on Atlantic from about 1998 until early 2006. I was in Knights of Sosaria for the majority of that time, right up until I left UO for good. I was just wanting to say hello, see how Ultima Online has changed over the time that I have been gone and to see if any old faces were still gracing these halls... When I left the latest expansion was still in early beta I believe.

As an aside, same Stratics forum name, but somehow all my post count and settings have disappeared.

Oh I was also a moderator for the Tabula Rasa forums here for a while until the game started to collapse... ;)

T

Tazar

Greetings Darkholme,

I do remember you from the forums. :)

Stratics suffered a catashrophic meltdown last year at the same time that we found out that the company doing our backups really were not... :(

Temporary forums were set up on new forum software, then the old data was recovered (as much as possible - very little loss as I understand it), then the old data was merged into the new software (sadly with a little loss of some users). Send a PM off to Petra or Magdalene and they can get your new stratics account merged with your old stratics account (assuming you were not one of the few that were unrecoverable).

As far as UO, a lot has changed. We have several new long-standing veteran players now on the Developer Team - including Sakkarah, Former GM of DEI.

The next expansion is in beta testing now with an upgrade (and hopefully fix) of the KR client. The new expansion is fully accessible on the 2D client and 2D will get some upgrades as well on the crafting menus and potentially more.

I am sure some will disagree, but I think UO is on a great path with a bright future. After 11.5 years, I'm still here having fun - but then - UO always has benn what "We - the players" make of it.

If you have any desire to log in and check things out, there are free trial account codes available on UO.com - although Trial accounts no longer have access to everything in game to discourage exploitation.

Gotta run off to work now to I'll let others fill you in further.

Safe Journeys!

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Darkholme,

I do remember you from the forums. :)

Stratics suffered a catashrophic meltdown last year at the same time that we found out that the company doing our backups really were not... :(

Temporary forums were set up on new forum software, then the old data was recovered (as much as possible - very little loss as I understand it), then the old data was merged into the new software (sadly with a little loss of some users). Send a PM off to Petra or Magdalene and they can get your new stratics account merged with your old stratics account (assuming you were not one of the few that were unrecoverable).
Yikes, that's no good. I do recall seeing something weird going on a while back, but I haven't been to Stratics on any sort of regular basis since I left the TR mod team and the game. It'd definitely be nice to see if I could get my account back though so I'll hit up one of them to see if it can be done, thanks. ;)

As far as UO, a lot has changed. We have several new long-standing veteran players now on the Developer Team - including Sakkarah, Former GM of DEI.
Wow, that sounds like a good thing for UO. Sakkarah of DEI, heh brings back some memories...

The next expansion is in beta testing now with an upgrade (and hopefully fix) of the KR client. The new expansion is fully accessible on the 2D client and 2D will get some upgrades as well on the crafting menus and potentially more.
It's good to see that the 2D client is still going strong. I fully expected it to go the way of the dodo after I left. I tried out KR after it came out and frankly couldn't get the thing to run well enough to be playable for me, which was odd since I had built a brand new PC at that time.

I am sure some will disagree, but I think UO is on a great path with a bright future. After 11.5 years, I'm still here having fun - but then - UO always has benn what "We - the players" make of it.

If you have any desire to log in and check things out, there are free trial account codes available on UO.com - although Trial accounts no longer have access to everything in game to discourage exploitation.

Gotta run off to work now to I'll let others fill you in further.

Safe Journeys!
I haven't had time to go through everything yet to see what has changed. Anyone who remembers me will know that I was a very vocal and involved Craftsman in UO (read: I complained and wrote long diatribes about what was wrong with the system). The funniest part about that is I ended up going to WoW after UO and WoW doesn't exactly have the best crafting system and isn't anywhere near what I would have liked to see in UO. I did skim some of the forums and guides in the sub-forums and I was reminded of how intricate the crafting system in UO is... I surely do miss it.

Cear Dallben Dragon said:
Hey man, Sir Robert is on hold but KoS is still active to a degree. or atleast they still exist. the RP worls is doing great.
check out
http://www.atlanticcommunityboard.com/forum/portal2.php
That's great to hear. When I left UO and headed to WoW I actually went to the realm that Arcana and some others from KOS had gone to, but unfortunately by the time I really got to start playing WoW they had all moved on from the game to parts unknown. If I do ever decide to come back to UO I will definitely seek out the Atlantic RP community. I mean, where else would a crusty old Atlantic vet go? ;)

T

Tazar

The SA client is claimed to have a new way of rendering graphics from KR making it run much more smoothly and with less lag. I really hope it is what KR should have been.

For a craftsman like yourself, KR does have a REALLY nice crafting system. Recent reports from the Developers is that the 2D crafting system is getting an overhaul in the SA expansion and will take on the functionality of the KR/SA client. :)

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The SA client is claimed to have a new way of rendering graphics from KR making it run much more smoothly and with less lag. I really hope it is what KR should have been.

For a craftsman like yourself, KR does have a REALLY nice crafting system. Recent reports from the Developers is that the 2D crafting system is getting an overhaul in the SA expansion and will take on the functionality of the KR/SA client. :)
As you can see, I got my post count back, thanks to Mags. ;)

Hmmm, that sounds intriguing indeed... While my entertainment budget is tight, the thought of returning to UO is certainly possible. While I do miss it terribly sometimes, I had a very good reason for finally leaving in the first place. I had my two main accounts hacked, and I know who had a hand in it, and I will not mention names of course of bemoan my fate over much...

I will say that it ruined my feelings for the UO community at the time. As this group of people ostensibly were trying to assist me after I lost my accounts and eight years of memories. As it turns out, they were, if not directly responsible for stealing my accounts, were instrumental in "laundering" the items that belonged to those accounts, including an 18x18 I placed myself and years of acquired items. Of course there was nothing that I could do about it at the time, and considering the depth of involvement these people had in the community at the time, it really jaded me and was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back that lead me to give up and quit UO.

I did happen to get my accounts back almost immediately, and all my characters were still present thankfully, but I just couldn't bring myself to start over... Considering the current landscape of MMOGs though, Ultima Online, even though it is a dinosaur, is still one of the best out there...

T

Tazar

I've seen good friends get hacked before (Or the trust of friendship abused) and lost many in game to it. It is always sad to see. It is good that you were able to reclaim the accounts with characters still there.

Occasionally, I will start to get bored with UO and when I do, I start a character on another shard and train him up - usually refusing help. There is something exciting about being young in game again. Fighting monsters to get enough scrolls to fill a spellbook. Building a suit based on monster drops, etc... That is part of what has kept me here.

Hopefully we'll see you in game sometime soon.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there :)

I remember you too.

Its allways good to see people return and i would love to see you back in game

*waves*

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there :)

I remember you too.

Its allways good to see people return and i would love to see you back in game

*waves*
It is good to be remembered by some at least... As for returning, we shall see. The upcoming expansion looks interesting for certain, so I might at least give it a try and see how things go. ;)

G

Gandalf

lots of vets, including myself seem to be coming back lol. Darkholme, what were your characters? I wouldnt of seen you on the forums because my first time here was 3 weeks ago lol.