• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ghost cams

B

bill

Can we get someone to start cracking down on cams at spawns. It's getting old to work a spawn up to the champ to have it raided last minute and taken! We all know whats going on with the cams and its very easy to spot and very easy to do something about. If you dont know what a cam is going to any fel spawn spot with a necro and look for the ghost sitting there, thats a cam. Hopefully if people complain enough they might start paying attention to the subject and at least make the reds actually go and chk the spawns themselves as opposed to using a cam. Let me be clear I'm not against reds coming and raiding the spawns, I would just like it to be done in the way it was meant to be done. If you have anything you want to add to this or another suggestion please do reply. I hope im not the only person this is bothering.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Newbie hide/stealth bots are a different problem... You need SS, detect hidden, tracking to actually find most of the cams.

People have complained on Uhall ever since the last boards. Nothing was done about it. EA even said it was a clever tactic. It's an open account - they don't care what you do with it as long as they get there 12.99 a month (granted some of those accounts are trail accounts)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If they made it so you cannot log in and out in those zones the problem would be solved.

It's one thing to get raided by a legit crew who actually come out to check the spawns, and quite another to have a covert script bot reporting the level.

It's not about who gets the champ or the scrolls, it's about stopping the script bots.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Doubt even that would stop them. I know of one on another shard that was a fully automated stealth bod script. No logging in and out. It would travel to all the champions, check and be on to the next. It would cover all of them and return to the one you were at every 15 mins or so. Your only hope was to finish the spawn and champ in under 15 mins.

S

Saris

Well you could start baiting them with about 40ppl waiting to kill them, it would not be to hard to organize such a thing but guild spies may be an issue.

speaking of stealth cam I just saw about 17 reds pass me going to kalhdun on Wakuko to right as the slime should be spawning :) think ill wait a bit, im fairly laggy there.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well you could start baiting them with about 40ppl waiting to kill them, it would not be to hard to organize such a thing but guild spies may be an issue.

lol Good luck with that.

As far as the Japanese shards, they don't compare to any other shard, they have it going on. Anyone that wants to learn something just needs to login and watch for a while.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol.

'spawn cams' are just one of the reasons t2a/champ spawns are NOTHING like they were when they were introduced.

Join a guild or learning to pvp is the best recommendation. The guild that runs them on this shard don't even have that many active members now. Any mediocre guild of a decent size should be able to hold thier grounds. Champ spawns are also UO's only reason to pvp also, so don't expect to avoid pvp at every spawn either. Pvp is the funnest part of the game if you organize a group together and get some good even fights going, no matter what the outcome (loss or win).

Excorism sucks either way. The cams can log out and time out faster then you can kill them, wait for thier corpse to decay, and then excorise them. It only takes em like 5 seconds to send the notification via guild/alliance/uoam.

Either way, I doubt they will ever come to a stop. Why? Because our dev team would rather focus on stupid idiotic crap then something that specifically violates the tos. (If you can't understand why, re-read the tos. If you still can't, don't bother asking me to explain why, and enroll yourself in some school to further expand your education and comprehension ability.).

Removing the ability to log out/in in a t2a champion location has been suggested countless times in the past. It is an EASY fix (Which is basically allready done...). Also the ability to AUTO help/stuck out of a felluca based harrower/spawn location should have been removed long ago.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol.

'spawn cams' are just one of the reasons t2a/champ spawns are NOTHING like they were when they were introduced.

Join a guild or learning to pvp is the best recommendation. The guild that runs them on this shard don't even have that many active members now. Any mediocre guild of a decent size should be able to hold thier grounds. Champ spawns are also UO's only reason to pvp also, so don't expect to avoid pvp at every spawn either. Pvp is the funnest part of the game if you organize a group together and get some good even fights going, no matter what the outcome (loss or win).

Excorism sucks either way. The cams can log out and time out faster then you can kill them, wait for thier corpse to decay, and then excorise them. It only takes em like 5 seconds to send the notification via guild/alliance/uoam.

Either way, I doubt they will ever come to a stop. Why? Because our dev team would rather focus on stupid idiotic crap then something that specifically violates the tos. (If you can't understand why, re-read the tos. If you still can't, don't bother asking me to explain why, and enroll yourself in some school to further expand your education and comprehension ability.).

Removing the ability to log out/in in a t2a champion location has been suggested countless times in the past. It is an EASY fix (Which is basically allready done...). Also the ability to AUTO help/stuck out of a felluca based harrower/spawn location should have been removed long ago.
:heart: :)

A

Ashlen

Also the ability to AUTO help/stuck out of a felluca based harrower/spawn location should have been removed long ago.

I take it Nystul you have never gotten stuck in the wooded area around
the bottom of marble and couldn't teleport out?
Must just be me that happens to :sad2:
Or maybe it was a blonde moment
If not for the help stuck option I would probably still be there waiting
for a GM to show up and get me out. :sad3:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'd rather the person have to wait for a GM to come see if they were really stuck.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I take it you have never done a harrower and had the enemy guild pass the scrolls to a stealther, stealth into a corner, and help/stuck out to get scrolls out safely, with ZERO risk, into a TOWN, safetly?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Welp if they are GHOST cams that you need a necro to see then sit down for this one THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD. And Nystul you sure know alot about the mechanics of the ghost cam system.

I think my mom spoke like that in oooooooooh 1985? AS IF!
lol... whatever.

Ghost cams are no longer actual "ghosts" (as in dead pcs) now. "Ghosting" just means going in to check the spawn and report it back... alive... hence avoiding the whole need for an exorcism spell.
Everyone who actually plays UO for more than just a banksitting glorified chat room knows and/or can figure out the mechanics of the ghost cam system.

M

Mags

Hey wait a minute :(

I use UO for a glorified banksitting chat room... AND I KNOW what a ghost cam is... sorry couldn't help myself :party:

Mags~

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hey wait a minute :(

I use UO for a glorified banksitting chat room... AND I KNOW what a ghost cam is... sorry couldn't help myself :party:

Mags~
lol
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that even folks like yourself wouldn't know ;) Don't know what anyone knows anymore! Someone I've known for 8 years asked me the other day if I ever heard of a ratman mage....

A

Ashlen

I'd rather the person have to wait for a GM to come see if they were really stuck.
So Flutter you doubting me or just flat out calling me a liar?
Just wondering here.
It is so hard to be nice to you sometimes
you have more moods than my autistic grand daughter.

And Yes, I have been in the dungeons and witness that very
thing from both sides, but that within it's self doesn’t make anyone
a bad person or dishonest, you may have been there on both sides as well.
The system is flawed and has been since the day it came out and I
don’t see where making it so you cant log in or out or help/stuck out
at a spawn area will help that any more than the changes to the Bags of sending
stopped the scripter’s like it was intended. Remember when you use to die at a spawns
and couldn’t go back with that character for a certain amount of time?
What good was that? Did that stop anything? No.
So many times the fixes tend to hurt the honest people more than the not so honest.

You can gain knowledge about the cam system in many ways
I did and not from first hand experience but from spawning and setting
many hours at spawns with a stealther/tracking/detect hiding char
along with some good friends observing the cams.
You don’t have to run a system to know things about them
Knowledge doesn’t mean someone is a cutting edge cam script writer
I know a fair bit about them and I can’t hardly run my uo assist macros
sometimes much less write a script.
I think sometimes people are way to fast to point fingers and act all innocent
all the time, no one is that good all the time

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Whoa, slow down.
I don't doubt you, nor do I call you a liar.
I simply would rather, in such cases where scrolls are involved, that a GM actually come make sure the person is actually stuck rather than just allowing the "help I'm stuck" to work by default in those said areas.
Don't be so defensive.

Mish o sha

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:grouphug::hug:
Well ,myself I dont know much about the ghost Cams
But I do Know its only a Game:thumbup1:

X

XaeviusMenate

Folks, stop fighting.

Main point is, exorcism only works on logged in ghosts. If they time out prior to you being able to exorcise them, good luck getting rid of them.

Luckily, I have a char with detect. Fun fun agitating people that think they should not be able to be found.

A quick run across T2A located only one cam at marble.

The hidden chars pose much more of a threat, and require an active attempt to track down and kill.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From experience,

learning the spawn sequence and exorcising every single character is the best solution.

A spawn script is time consumming and very hard to maintain. It takes quite a few perma losers with no lives to keep going.

If they use dead characters, simply exorcise them. Do so at every location. The character is most likely stationned 14 to 20 tiles from the altar. The script they use cannot read futher then that.

If they're using hidden characters, bring a PK and EQ. You have 5 min to find the character and kill him before he logs out. After 5 or 6 min, another character will log in to check another spawn. I highly doubt these characters have more then 50 or so hiding. Revealing them or tracking them shouldn't be that hard if you match the skill or EQ constantly.

Once revealed, finish the job. You won't be able to exorcise the character until it's corpse disapears from the T2A sub server. However, resing the unattended player (and him having the res gump open), somehow allows exorcising to work despite his corpse still being there.

From the pictures I've seen posted by an incredibly dumb guildmaster of a terrible guild that I shall not mention, the script warns them via UOAM if a spawn is being worked or if one of the characters are exorcised. If they notice a lot of these characters are being exorcised, they may investigate on who's doing the killing. If they don't find you, they'll be even more frustrated. :thumbup1:

Rinse and repeat...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It takes quite a few perma losers with no lives to keep going.
Checkmate.

From the pictures I've seen posted by an incredibly dumb guildmaster of a terrible guild that I shall not mention, the script warns them via UOAM if a spawn is being worked or if one of the characters are exorcised.
Have been sent similar pictures. It's all programmed and pretty much runs itself 24/7 though.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless they have rails that automatically res the character and run them back to the spawn, I'm pretty sure they won't be able to keep up with the players exorcising.

If you learn the character sequence, you could exorcise every single character within 30 minutes.

It would take multiple players and hours to place everything back.