• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Geesh what's going on

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's like the season of people leaving, I swear if a few more leave I'm going to start caging people they will be my exhibit in hythloth and I will force them to stay on!

(I'm not really that crazy, it just seems everyone has decided to leave)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know their reason.

I've heard a dozen reasons from a dozen interpretations.

But here's my translation (I feel the same way at times):
I'm bored. I haven't seen (name certain people) in about eight months. I'm leaving.

Here's the funny bit.
After the Stygian Abyss opened up, people came back to UO for a bit. When they started leaving, the remaining people said, "It's just fall, people are going back to school... it happens every year."

When Christmas rolled around, more people left (including most of PGoH and all of B*DI). The remaining people said, "It's the Holiday season. It's just a slump, happens every year."

Then spring sprung, more people moved on to other things. Some of those who left at Christmas gave word about their wanting-to-but-not-actually coming back. The very few people left over said, "Spring is here, people want to get outside and enjoy the spring weather. It's just a slump. It happens every year."

Now its summer. More people are leaving, but the people who left last Fall, Winter and Spring haven't come back.

Now my question is...
Is it still a slump? (Or is slump just a euphemism for wishful thinking?)

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know their reason.

I've heard a dozen reasons from a dozen interpretations.

But here's my translation (I feel the same way at times):
I'm bored. I haven't seen (name certain people) in about eight months. I'm leaving.

Here's the funny bit.
After the Stygian Abyss opened up, people came back to UO for a bit. When they started leaving, the remaining people said, "It's just fall, people are going back to school... it happens every year."

When Christmas rolled around, more people left (including most of PGoH and all of B*DI). The remaining people said, "It's the Holiday season. It's just a slump, happens every year."

Then spring sprung, more people moved on to other things. Some of those who left at Christmas gave word about their wanting-to-but-not-actually coming back. The very few people left over said, "Spring is here, people want to get outside and enjoy the spring weather. It's just a slump. It happens every year."

Now its summer. More people are leaving, but the people who left last Fall, Winter and Spring haven't come back.

Now my question is...
Is it still a slump? (Or is slump just a euphemism for wishful thinking?)
Yeah those are all things I've thought before.

I've heard people say it's slow in summer because of nice weather and it will pick up it fall and the the same people say well it's school time they wont be playing because they're busy it'll pick up in summer.

It's avoidance thinking trying to keep themselves from thinking people are actually leaving.

I personally try to play a bit no matter what the season except when classes need more time and that's when I cancel UO until classes are finished and come back later hoping people are still around this last time I was surprised to see I was like the only one left in PGoH active and glad the pirates had a small band unfortunately they had no one to cause trouble for.

Seems the Fae have all left I'm not sure what that was about or if they were planning on coming back, now Aedon left so the person who owns the building that draws people out for a head count is gone so I'm not sure if there is going to be any weekly quasi gathering of RPers.

Well, before I go any longer I'm not sure what to say, I guess if Cats RP dies more I'll switch focus onto Europa and do PvP on the side on Cats.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the real answer is that most of us are just getting old. I doubt many are leaving to RP else where. Though I do play Lord of the Rings Online, I rarely RP there. And not because there is not ample chances to interact. I just , for some reason, do not.

In all the games i have played no other is built for RP in the way that Ultima is. From the NPC towns to the player driven ones, UO lends itself naturally to roleplaying.

And Scarst, you stop trying to lock folks in cages. You will just find yourself with a lot of angry, caged RPers.

One more part to the story of Aedon King. It will be posted by 5 pm est today. We hope what we have written over the past weeks helps to drive your imaginations. And spur more into telling the rest of the RP community your tales.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just accepted into the FFXIV beta... which is beautiful.... and Starcraft 2 comes out in a few weeks. I take breaks from UO for other games but always come back.

Though UO is item heavy, it has more substinance than any other game I have ever played.... and housing :) I also like the heavy dev interaction and.... honestly ... the fact that it is small in terms of suscribers. I think it is just large enough to merit keeping it alive yet small enough not to keep the attention of upper management. So devs have more freedom to explore their ideas.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think a lot of it has to do with a domino effect. Most of us play the game due to the strong bonds and friendships we form with people over the years. Over time those friends leave, making the game less and less fun. One person goes followed by two more etc. etc. etc. until eventually a large chunk of people have left.

The other big factor is people are moving off to other more populated servers. More people, new faces, new friendships to make and little to come home to.

It is a sad thing. Some of it is real life busyness but I doubt that is the main cause.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of it has to do with a domino effect. Most of us play the game due to the strong bonds and friendships we form with people over the years. Over time those friends leave, making the game less and less fun. One person goes followed by two more etc. etc. etc. until eventually a large chunk of people have left.

The other big factor is people are moving off to other more populated servers. More people, new faces, new friendships to make and little to come home to.

It is a sad thing. Some of it is real life busyness but I doubt that is the main cause.
I never really had that problem for the first eight years only really missed a few people that I did things with I remember a guy named "deer head man" that was funny he played a lot with my brother back when we shared my current account.

As the community decline I'll probably just slip into fel until I eventually leave, or if fel is dead to probably just try to forget UO and check in on people til it's over.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*looks an Giggles.*

And here I have been believing you to be such a sweet little thing.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The cage in this case would be a community in which to be a part of although I'd really like to move one of my characters to faction PvP for a break from trammel, all I need is to get stuff to make a decent suit for an archer heh.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*eats a bite of the halo funyun*

There, now its devil horns. ^^ Much better I think.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may have to take ya post to a doctor Al and have the cholesterol taken for it lol

Hyper Hyper!!

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have had three members return within the last 2 months that had both been gone for over a year each. We also have guilded three people that have left their "high population" shards to come to Catskills for three very different reasons. From our legendary RP, always eventful PVP, our outstanding EMs (I travel to a lot of other EM events on other shards, trust me, we're blessed with who we have as EMs), and last but not least our ever helpful community: Catskills might not be the most populous, but we are by far one of the best places to call home in UO.

There's nothing we can do to control the longevity of this game outside of continually subscribing, but we can be good advertisements for UO ourselves by inviting people to play and discover it. Posting negative portrayals of the status of UO won't help nearly as much as engaging our community with ideas that could keep us all interested and involved. For example, my guild has taken up what is more commonly a RP concept, a player run town, and we are building onto and around a group of 5 houses that have been on Cats since it's inception. This has been ALOT of fun and continues to be a daily source of activity for my members.

For me, I still love UO and Catskills and will keep working to make my small corner of this world flourish.

V

Vlaude2

We have had three members return within the last 2 months that had both been gone for over a year each. We also have guilded three people that have left their "high population" shards to come to Catskills for three very different reasons. From our legendary RP, always eventful PVP, our outstanding EMs (I travel to a lot of other EM events on other shards, trust me, we're blessed with who we have as EMs), and last but not least our ever helpful community: Catskills might not be the most populous, but we are by far one of the best places to call home in UO.

There's nothing we can do to control the longevity of this game outside of continually subscribing, but we can be good advertisements for UO ourselves by inviting people to play and discover it. Posting negative portrayals of the status of UO won't help nearly as much as engaging our community with ideas that could keep us all interested and involved. For example, my guild has taken up what is more commonly a RP concept, a player run town, and we are building onto and around a group of 5 houses that have been on Cats since it's inception. This has been ALOT of fun and continues to be a daily source of activity for my members.

For me, I still love UO and Catskills and will keep working to make my small corner of this world flourish.
I think some of us just miss our old friends. Makes sense, right?

But you're right, no amount of complaining will change things, just have to move on and try to keep the community alive and healthy for the time that we're here. Catskills and UO are still fun and there are new friends and allies to be made too. I just came back from a ~4 year hiatus and I've already been able to start a small guild of returning vets that I had not previously known, and we're having a lot of fun together.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Absolutely wasn't purposely criticizing the OP for wishing for better days.

I just know that positive action can lead to better results!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Community is what keeps a game going. People come and go. Some return and some never return. New blood in numbers is needed to get UO going again but with lack of advertising not going to happen. UO survives because of the hardcore players that play for the love of the game.

Instead of new land masses fixes on pvp and pvm are needed. IMO, I still think chaos and order would be a better fix for pvp/pvm than factions. Order and chaos has way much more potential for UO and should be looked more closely by the devs. If the devs would give the community a choice to choose order or chaos each has its own benefits. Not meaning you have to choose one or the other to play UO but for the ones that would like to extend their gaming experince or change of pace.

For example, Say I dont want to play order and chaos I still have access to what we all play now. If I did choose to play order or chaos I get access to special new dungeons designated in lands that is unused on any facet. Chaos and Order can only fight in Fel and Ilsh. You can obtain special items that is only relevant for chaos or order sides. Ilsh spawns can be used for special drops for both sides. Make both sides depend on a point system but does not have to be pvp related. You can pvm in new dungeons to obtain points for the people who dont want to pvp. PvP is worth more points then doing PvM. The points can be turned into a quest giver that gives out random high end game items for your particular side you play on. You lose the points you turn in so to keep a player playing to obtain points again.. Here is the kicker.... These items can not be sold or traded so they cant be farmed. Also the points can be turned in at shrines designated for either side to give special bonus ( like 5% dex increase) for all players of that particular side. Have the shrines used like the zoo for the point system which can decay if no points are being donated. Just a quick gist of ideas thrown out there so I apologize for not being more descriptive.

We are so easily distracted of new pixel candy it temporary makes us forget the issues we have. Once we obtain those pixels we go back to complaining about this and that. The devs give us new pixel candy again and this cycle keeps repeats itself. The devs need to give us a reason to play UO not just by by adding pixels but a purpose. I think Chaos and Order could be used for that.

Hyper Hyper!!