• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gargoyles getting fatigued when flying

M

Maija

Will gargoyles essentially be forced to take points in Focus to move at mounted speed over long distances? My character is not over-weight, has 100 dex, and still gets fatigued while flying in a short time. Am I missing something? If I'm not, this doesn't seem very balanced, considering people on mounts can ride indefinitely without fatigue provided they aren't carrying more than their strength allows, and gargoyles don't even have the option to ride.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
focus or stamina regen on equipment.

Yes, the stamina cost of flying is a resource gargoyles need to be aware of.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ooph.
20 Focus on crystalline ring isn't enough. This fatigue is something I do NOT look forward to.

M

Myna

this is a reason why gargoyles begin to suck

i dont need focus as an elf with minimun dex to run around with a ethy for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time

G

guum

ooph.
20 Focus on crystalline ring isn't enough. This fatigue is something I do NOT look forward to.
Yeah, I put 40 focus on my garg and he still gets fatigued. I think you need 60 to be able to fly forever, maybe more. It's tolerable at 40 focus with 50+ dex, but I'm not really looking forward to this on my non-dexer characters.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mounted speed without taking up a pet slot is quite an advantage; you had to know it wouldn't be free.

-Galen's player

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stamina regen of 6-8 will negate the need for Focus. If you go the Focus route, it requires 60 - 80. Total Refresh Pots work, too ...

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Weird thing is my elf tamer is always running out of stamina when riding or running on foot. She is the only one of my chars who has stamina problems even tho her dex is higher than any of my mages by around 20 points and she has similar points in meditation skill. None of my other characters ever 'run' out of puff as she seems to do after a minute or so.

I have never been able to work out why that ONE character that is nearly identical in stats/med skills to at least another 6 of my chars always 'gets too fatigued to walk' when none of the others do. It is actually pretty much the same stamina loss as a gargoyle without the bonus of the pet slot. :(

G

guum

The elven fatigue versus humans is due to your elf not having jack of all trades focus. The 20 implied focus for humans is enough to keep them running forever -- add 20 focus onto your elf and you'll have the same result. 20 focus doesn't seem to mean much for gargoyles though. That's basically the complaint...needing 20 focus is ok since there are a lot of different ways to get that (crystalline ring being most obvious). The problem is that gargoyles need literally 100 focus to fly indefinitely (tested it myself), and 60 for flying mode to be usable for more than very short bursts. That's a pretty large across-the-board skill point investment.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All my characters are elf tho, so why do the other 6 mage type chars i have not experience this problem. I have at least 3 chars with the exact same magery, meditation, eval skill with the same intel/str/dex set up etc and only this ONE has stamina problems. I have tried paging a gm a few times it is THAT bad, so it isn't like it is a 'small' stamina loss. It really is noticeable as it is with a gargoyle. I gave up paging gms after I had been directed to the stupid webpage about 4 times over a period of 6mths and couldn't get anyone to actually 'show' up and take a look at my char in game in case she had a bug. *shrugs* beats me.

G

guum

Weird. Yeah, no idea on that one, unless they're all wearing crystalline rings but the one that gets fatigued or something like that.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a ninja/mage/thief (human) with 20 dex, and in wolf form the stamina drain is the same as a gargolye. I believe THAT is the code that was used for gargish stamina loss as it is the only true equilivent - unmounted at mounted speed.

M

Maija

I still don't think the flying should cost anything. It is one of the racial boons.

Elves have night sight and don't pay anything for it. Imagine if you had to have 60 meditation or you'd be constantly out of mana whenever it was dark in UO, because everyone else has to have a piece of equipment to get the same result.

When you compare what gargoyles get with what the others get, it's really not as fantastic as it sounds. Who is going to use the "basic competency" in throwing weapons without any further training in it? I'm assuming, like jack of all trades, that it doesn't stack on top of trained throwing weapons. I don't know about everyone else, but a 5% chance to hit an ogre lord with a throwing weapon isn't all that exciting to me. Anyone who isn't crafting isn't going to give a rat's patootie about an extra chance to enhance or imbue.

So on top of all the rather weak, applicable-to-only-one-build bonuses the gargoyles get, the one useful thing that everyone can use - flying - COSTS a great deal of stamina, which must be made up with using specific armor - only a few slots of which gargoyles even get to use and which can carry stamina regen in the first place - or spend a large number of our limited points in focus. Remember, they aren't even given the option to ride something and use up that follower slot. What is the draw of being a gargoyle if you aren't a crafter?

It just doesn't feel thought through.

Darhon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Human = JoaT, +60 weight carry, +2hpr, More resources
Elves = +20 Mana, +5 Energy Resist Cap, Nighsight, harder to Track, better passive detect, More chance for rare resources
Gargoyles = Flying (dismountable, stamina eater), Throwing buff (little hci), Berserk (+ssi, -resists, +1fcwhen hp below 40?), little more chance in imbuing, Mysticism buff (like JoaT), can't mount.

In case gargoyles have 2 less slots for armor properties, and earrings hardly can replace hat slot.

p.s. When i see Berserk activated, i'm running away from danger, it's not suited for mage with not big amount of resists.

S

Saris

mainly I see it as a way to keep things ballanced, A mage tamer tempate on a garg will need to have lots of SR on a suit or use focus in a cramped template. Warriors have no issues for the most part as thier suit has some SR and most use chiv and can DF.

I dont think it hard to neg the stamina loss but for my tamer it would be, but then agian I can have a GD out and fly, so short burst are better than none.

If I ran my sampire he would not even notice the stam drain.

R

Radix

well, I've never seen a bird that does not need rest, is there any bug or creature in the real world that can fly indefinitely?
flying is a strenuous activity, it is normal that takes stamina, maybe an insect can fly all day, next race, the mosquito men! lol! birdmen of flash gordon? bat men like the star wars merchant?? :loser:

seriously, in fantasy worlds, only creatures that can fly almost indefinetely are those os superhuman and unnatural strenght and resistance, like demons, or thats the folklore that sounds to me ^^

Weird thing is my elf tamer is always running out of stamina when riding or running on foot. She is the only one of my chars who has stamina problems even tho her dex is higher than any of my mages by around 20 points and she has similar points in meditation skill. None of my other characters ever 'run' out of puff as she seems to do after a minute or so.

I have never been able to work out why that ONE character that is nearly identical in stats/med skills to at least another 6 of my chars always 'gets too fatigued to walk' when none of the others do. It is actually pretty much the same stamina loss as a gargoyle without the bonus of the pet slot. :(
Same as me!! my female elf tamer is out of stamina all day, i thought she is lazy, she goes usually with 25 dex and 1-2 st.r, and i wonder even mounted in my cu she runs out of stamina, just wondering, you are not alone!
the 20 points from jack cannot be so important :bored:

Vampie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the same problem with stamina while i was flying..it was so bad that i had no stamina at all unless I stopped and rested. So gf suggested stamina regen on armor pieces..even 2/3 stam regen would help. I tried that and my staminas been :thumbsup: ever since..not had any problem with it at all...been flying all over the place.. :).

M

Maija

well, I've never seen a bird that does not need rest, is there any bug or creature in the real world that can fly indefinitely?
There aren't any horses in the real world who can carry a rider indefinitely without fatigue, either. It is a *fantasy* *game* and there is little in UO that is made with limitations for the purposes of keeping it "realistic". Find me a bug in the real world who can carry you on its back indefinitely without getting tired, and I'll cede you the stamina loss while flying.

H

HattoriHanzo

flying is a strenuous activity, it is normal that takes stamina, maybe an insect can fly all day, next race, the mosquito men! lol! birdmen of flash gordon? bat men like the star wars merchant?? :loser:
Sure, okay, stamina depletion makes sense in scientific terms for flying... But it would also make sense for, say, a horse riding at top speed, wouldn't it? And yet our horses can keep on running until there's no more ground to cover.

I think the original point is that the ability to fly is nowhere near appealing enough to make up for the "trade-off" of stamina depletion, and of the outlook of needing to dump skill points or armor slots (which are scarce for gargoyles) into stamina regen, and that gargoyles don't even have the alternative of riding a pet.

To me, it seems like the only way to avoid a major hassle with stamina is to not be a gargoyle.

Which is fine... I guess I just won't be a gargoyle.

M

Maggie

I will buy the expansion for the new lands and imbuing but I will not make a gargoyle. 8 stamina regen or 80 focus is too much of an investment. My character with 80 ninjitsu can run as a llama and follow same stamina rules as gargoyle flight. While enjoying other benefits of the skill.

M

Maija

Yeah, I had been really looking forward to the expansion. I held off making my 7th character, planning for her to be a gargoyle and have imbuing. Now I'm just like, meh, I'm not so sure I want a gargoyle now, anyway. I don't know if it would be worth it for the extra chance to imbue. I hope the character changes will be given out as tokens. Then I might just hold off until she has 120 imbuing and decide then.

Vampie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont get where you need 8 stamina regen or 80 focus. I have like at the most 4 stamina regen on my gargoyle char and i dont lose stamina at all. i really believe 8 is way too much when other mods can go there to compensate in other areas.