• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Gargoyle Pickaxes

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do Gargoyle Pickaxes drop on Gargoyles anymore?
I've killed about 350 - 400 Regular gargoyles over the past 3 days, and haven't a single drop. I even tossed in 10 - 20 Enslaved Gargoyles, with no luck.

Is this an intentional change or did the devs break this while fixing something else?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, they do. I saw one on a gargoyle enforcer while digging a level 5 Ilshenar map the other day. I didn't pick it up though.

I think I may have some on Siege if you want them? Or maybe I should save them for next time I need to ransom my sea charts? :D

I seem to remember, back when we used to go hunting for these, stone gargoyles had the best chance of dropping them.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I find about one in every 300 or so gargoyles. I kill at least one almost very day because they spawn near my house and get one gargoyles pickaxe per year (about)

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I find about one in every 300 or so gargoyles. I kill at least one almost very day because they spawn near my house and get one gargoyles pickaxe per year (about)

I used to get 5-10% drop rate on the gargs in Ilsh, Compassion mountain pass. Easy to collect, now, nothing. I'll try stone gargs as Petra suggested. I'm assuming the coding for the shadow gargoyles in Kings Tomb has something to do with it, they didn't want pickaxes dropping on them, so they disabled them from that type altogether... but that's just my guess.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to get 5-10% drop rate on the gargs in Ilsh, Compassion mountain pass. Easy to collect, now, nothing. I'll try stone gargs as Petra suggested. I'm assuming the coding for the shadow gargoyles in Kings Tomb has something to do with it, they didn't want pickaxes dropping on them, so they disabled them from that type altogether... but that's just my guess.
If I recall gargoyle pickaxes spwn in certain areas more than others. We used to got to T2a to get them before. I do bods for the most part it seems to keep me in adequate supply but then I only mine one half of the time with them.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of BODers throw away their garg picks. If you know someone who goes into the Cavern of the Discarded a lot, just ask them to pick them up off the ground for you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's one spot south of the Chaos shrine, north of the dungeon, in Ilshenar that spawns 3 "stoners", though occasionally a respawn will pop in on the other side of the mountain, and after a couple do so, you have to go around the mountain and kill them to get them spawning.

Of course, the valley in question being a box canyon might make it a bit riskier a proposition on SP, but would someone really be that desperate for GPAs that they'd PK for them?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As others mentioned, stone gargs are your friend. The regular gargs have a pretty low spawn chance. I wasted lots of hours in hythloth. Sometimes when i run around in luna i hear the bod-turnin-sound. I usually ask if i may get the pickaxes and often get them.