• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gargoyle Pickaxe question

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought that the Gargoyle Pickaxe would up the ore by one, then I could use the prospector's tool to up it one more. I have been gone for about a year, I come back to mining and it doesn't work like this anymore? Or did I get a bad pickaxe?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Been working for my guild just fine.

Remember that, no matter if you up the ore once or twice, much of your ore will still be iron.

Also, if you're not GM yet, any ore you can't smelt (or mine normally) yet cannot be advanced by the prospector's tool. IIRC, if you can only mine Dull copper, you can't advance a shadow iron vein to copper. And, using a gargoyle pick on an ore type you can't mine yet normally will produce only iron, but CAN produce ore elementals with the colored ore in them (and that it takes a prospector tool to get any effect from an iron vein with a gargoyle pick, as a gargoyle pick will not produce dull copper, but requires that a prospector's tool be used on the vein to become DC, which the pick then advances to shadow iron)

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the reply
I have been out all day mining and am very surprised at what I am finding. I knew that the ore now spawns randomly, but why am I still get small pieces of black rock? I heard we can't do anything with them. Also I found that if I continue to use the pickaxe I get the upgraded ore, but as soon as I put it down and use a shovel it goes back to the lower one. Strange if you ask me. I have so many Shadow Eles out roaming around and having a great time figuring this all out

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Prospector Tool upgrades the ore one step for the entire duration.
The Gargoyle pick only upgrades its own mining swings, so if the pick runs out while you mine, and you have to go back to a normal shovel or pick, you only get the ore you'd get without the pick's upgrade.

So if you are on an Iron vein, and use the Prospector tool to upgrade to Dull copper, you will get Iron and Shadow Iron from swinging a gargoyle pickaxe (and a chance for an elemental), but only iron & dull copper if you use a normal or sturdy (bod reward) tool, if you switch back and forth.

It's always been this way, at least in the 5 years I've played.

F

frodofeet

<blockquote><hr>

why am I still get small pieces of black rock? I heard we can't do anything with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still one thing you can do with small blackrock pieces... keep it in your top level backpack and there's a chance you will infect a random creature just by passing by them. It will then become "blackrock infected", turn red, and attack you. There's a chance to get a special blackrock labelled treasure box from these creatures. Basically any creature that could have a map as loot, could have one of these boxes as loot.

A few of my characters (Tamer, Mage &amp; Warrior) carry pieces when they run around the place. It's quite funny when you get a red angry sheep chomping at your heels, but what you really want are things like ettins turning for the chance of a box.

L

Lilac Crypt

I put them away as fast as I see one, because I do NOT want to find myself fighting a blackrock infected valorite elemental.

They really need to give us some turn-in for these buggers, cause up until last week when the blackrock elementals mysteriously vanished, (and the scripters just as mysteriously returned en masse) it was not a good thing to end up with a blackrock bit in yer pack. It meant that about one chance in two or three that you'd gone face to face with one of those big red monsters. I earned mine, dammit!

Lots and lots of parrying, running and figuring out where to leave the things.

S

slasherofveils

<blockquote><hr>

Been working for my guild just fine.

Remember that, no matter if you up the ore once or twice, much of your ore will still be iron.

Also, if you're not GM yet, any ore you can't smelt (or mine normally) yet cannot be advanced by the prospector's tool. IIRC, if you can only mine Dull copper, you can't advance a shadow iron vein to copper. And, using a gargoyle pick on an ore type you can't mine yet normally will produce only iron, but CAN produce ore elementals with the colored ore in them (and that it takes a prospector tool to get any effect from an iron vein with a gargoyle pick, as a gargoyle pick will not produce dull copper, but requires that a prospector's tool be used on the vein to become DC, which the pick then advances to shadow iron)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to correct something...

If you upgrade with prospect tool to an ore you can't mine due to lack of skill, you will only get iron.
BUT, if you hit a vein with a garg pick, you CAN get colors you normally wouldn't mine, provided you have the original vein skill.

example:
95 mining skill. You find a verite vein. If you upgrade this vein with a prospector tool, you will only get iron, because you don't have 99 mining required to mine valorite.
BUT, lets say you did NOT prospect the vein. Instead you dig at it with a garg pickaxe. you WILL get valorite ore from the verite vein. In this case the skillcheck is against verite, which you have skill for, and then the pickaxe property upgrades it to valorite *after* the skillcheck.

*note* mining ore you can't normally mine with a garg axe you still won't be able to smelt it into ingots.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the clarification for the others - that's what I was trying to say, but left part of it out.

Your example only works if the vein is already your maximum (in your example, you can mine Verite, and get Valorite from the pick from the Verite vein), and the raised ore is one step higher, to one you can't smelt yet.

But, if it's a vein higher than you can mine to begin with (say, you can only mine Gold, and you elevate a verite vein to Valorite with a gargoyle pickaxe), you only get iron and possibly the ore elementals. For my example in the previous sentence, you'd get iron and potential for valorite elementals. I actually had this happen to me with a Gold-mining-maximum crafter in training on my second account last night - had to run for my life and bring my Valorite-ele-killing-machine from my primary account in to kill it.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Here's a quick chart of what you get from a Gargoyle Pick
Under 65: Iron only, no chance of Elementals (either that, or the tester had a REALLY bad run with 10 garg picks back when ore locations were known)

Best one can mine Elevates The following ores
Skill Naturally D S C B G A Ve Va
65-69.9 Dull Copper S E E E E E E E
70-74.9 Shadow Iron S C E E E E E E
75-79.9 Copper S C B E E E E E
80-84.9 Bronze S C B G E E E E
85-89.9 Gold S C B G A E E E
90-94.9 Agapite S C B G A Ve E E
95-98.9 Verite S C B G A Ve Va E
99+ Valorite S C B G A Ve Va Va

</pre><hr />
"E" results: Produces only iron, with a chance for the colored elemental one level higher than the vein's natural level. These are the instances where you get the "Unsure of the ore" message with the pick.