• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Game engine

puppyTheChan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Pls oh Pls I would love to know what game engines are being used. Im entering college for game design and i've used things like unity, blender, and 3dsmax (hoping i get my hands on oculus dev kit one day one day).

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Pls oh Pls I would love to know what game engines are being used. Im entering college for game design and i've used things like unity, blender, and 3dsmax (hoping i get my hands on oculus dev kit one day one day).
This is using the Unity engine.

puppyTheChan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
okays ty so much I couldn't even tell xD usually i look at the trees and first thing i see in a game is auto generated trees they used unity. (though i'm still in that cave at the beginning)

Silvonis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The Unity engine has been gaining popularity and has made a lot of improvements.

The scripting language is based on the open source version of the .NET framework.

If you're interested in programing in Unity, you should look into the UnityScript, C# or Boo.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Yep, it uses Unity for the client, and the server is a custom engine that uses Unity and Java. But before you get too excited about making your own, I should warn you that making an MMO in Unity is VERY hard, it stresses the capabilities pretty heavily, and it will take years of experience with the engine to get an MMO working well in it! Not to dissuade you, but just to warn you.

Unity's work flows were made for small games, and they don't scale to MMOs very well. However, their graphics engine itself works well for any sized game. So you just end up having to modify the stock work flows a lot. Which is easier said than done sometimes.

The upcoming Unity 5 has some big workflow improvements that might make MMOs more plausible for beginners soon, though!