• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Funny article in PC World

Z

ZippyW

Author: Brennon Slattery
PC World
Friday, October 24, 2008; 12:19 PM

The line between virtual reality and its flesh-and-blood cousin blurred a little this week as a 43-year-old Tokyo woman was jailed for murdering her virtual ex-husband's avatar.

After she suddenly found herself divorced in "Maple Story," a popular 2-D side scrolling MMORPG, the unidentified woman used her ex-husband's ID and password to log into the game and kill him off. Call it Death by Deletion.

When the man discovered his beloved avatar was gone, he contacted authorities, which led to the woman's arrest. "I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning," the woman told investigators. "That made me so angry." The AP reports that the woman had no intention to carry out violence in reality.

The charges are "illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data," which carries a sentence of up to five years in jail or a fine up to $5,000.

This is the first time I've ever heard of real-life authorities getting involved with virtual homicide. While the charges have nothing to do with the avatar's death, but rather the woman's illegal methods of bumping it off, it certainly illustrates how emotionally involving online MMORPGs can be.

:yell: SHE SHOULD BE JAILED! SHE SHOULD PAY!!! HOW DARE SHE!!:gun::gun::gun::gun:

F

Fangs McWolf

I got that in an email this morning. Woman needs mental help.

S

SSniffleslam

Yeppers, I read about this one too... People are crazy.

S

Stubby

Yikes, it was bound to happen. She could be the first patient in the new "Virtual Reality Rehabilitation Facility":hahaha::spider:.

S

Sally Bumblefoot

What I don't get is that if her "virtual husband" gave her access to his avatar, how is that illeagally accessing the account? If she hacked into the account somehow then I can see how she would be in trouble. I think it should be the guy that should be arrested.......for not being too bright!! Think about it. If you were gonna "divorce" another player that has access to your account, wouldnt you change your password first? Seems like a logical course of action to me!!rolleyes:

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering she was arrested for hacking, I'd assume she hacked into the account.

S

Sally Bumblefoot

When it said she used his account name and password it sounded to me like he had already given it to her but was arrested for using that info to delete the avatar. I dont get the illegally accessing a computer part but manipulating electronic data could just be her just not having permission to delete the avatar. As always, I'm sure there is much more to the story!! This sounds like it would be a good one!