• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FTP application?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What is it? It seems I need one to access free web space from my IP...

H

HellaFarris

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, it's a method of transferring files from one place (machine) to another.

In a nutshell to utilize your free web space you will need to create your webpage/site, generally this would be done on your home PC, from your home PC you would then need to copy the files from your home PC onto the place where your free web page/space can present them to the universe. FTP is the method commonly used to do the copying.

There are a fair few free FTP clients available on the 'net. I've not done anything of that nature for a while so can't really recommend what the best/easiest client is right now. Google should give some indication of what's out there.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use Firefox browser, it has a plugin called FireFTP which is a fairly easy option. Can't say about any other windows software, but that's what I use :)

Wenchy

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Fire FTP as well, but it has trouble with passive ftp transfers. WSFTP is another good free one.

If you use frontpage for your website, it has ftp capability built in as well, and works (usually) flawlessly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shamus, would you believe I still use the Win95 version of WSFTP I got in a computing class 15 years ago?

Amazing to believe it's still around...

Tetricyde

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always used WSFTP as well... Nothing beats simple... If it works, dont fix it...:thumbsup:

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have used FTP Explorer (FTPX) Ver 1.00 for years. It's simple, easy & free

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zigzag told me to use 'filezilla'. It seems to do what I need it to.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Filezilla at work for quite large downloads/uploads at times.
Easy to use and does the job.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, I use Filezilla on my answering svc equipment so my mfg can download the large updates. Works sweet as all