• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Frost Mites & Rune Corruption

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, after leveling a Frost Mite to 5 slots and putting Rune Corruption on him, i can confirm that picking Rune Corruption first will prevent them from picking any additional Special Moves. Ruined a decent Frost Mite that way, at least i didn't put any Power Scrolls on him yet.
So i went onto TC, tamed a 2 Slot Frost Mite, trained his skills to GM and leveled him up twice. I was able to put Armor Ignore on him first, then put Rune Corruption on him as well. Make sure Rune Corruption is the last of the abilites that you add.
Also, when a 2 Slot Frost Mite is trained up to GM skills (Wrest/Tact/Resist/Anat/Parry/Med/Focus), it'll cause him to jump an additional slot when leveled, so he'll go from 2 Slots to 4 in a single Level Training Session. So there's no point going after 2 Slot Frost Mites, just go for a nice 3 Slot Frost Mite with high Health so you can save some Training Points.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just train up slots before bothering to train the skills up?
At moment mine actively lose skills as they die about 400 times a day.........maybe I can get a 2 slot to upgrade to a "2 slot" :D

Moboid

Visitor
Had similar issues with blue and fire beetles, submitted bug reports . eg armour ignore, mortal strike and rune corruption can be added fine but AI and rune corruption locks out a second special move. Wrecked one beetle due to not following the exact order I used on test.

Could this post stay on general? This has been lingering for 2 weeks now. Giant Beetle skill order bug

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not understanding why training one option would eliminate others. The ordering by which you imbue certain abilities/skills shouldn't matter. This is what prevents me from going after some of the newer pets and spending a lot of time on them until there is more data available... wasting time and ruining a pet you spend time training up due to some technical glitch shouldn't have to happen. Thanks to @PlayerSkillFTW for the report.

Is this issue limited to just Frost mites or is it affecting other beetles?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm not understanding why training one option would eliminate others. The ordering by which you imbue certain abilities/skills shouldn't matter. This is what prevents me from going after some of the newer pets and spending a lot of time on them until there is more data available... wasting time and ruining a pet you spend time training up due to some technical glitch shouldn't have to happen. Thanks to @PlayerSkillFTW for the report.

Yes, it is.
After I added rune corruption to my fire beetle, the option to add other special abilities was disabled. It was a deliberate choice in my case, as I didn't want other special attacjs, but this isn't documented anywhere. On my blue beetle, which I trained before this one, I added mortal, AI then rune corruption. Then all I could do was add poisoning, much akin to what happened on the fire beetle.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This is true for many pets. Generally (with exceptions) you want to add from bottom up categorie-wise. I always go through the motions on the same pet on TC first to make sure.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it is.
After I added rune corruption to my fire beetle, the option to add other special abilities was disabled. It was a deliberate choice in my case, as I didn't want other special attacjs, but this isn't documented anywhere. On my blue beetle, which I trained before this one, I added mortal, AI then rune corruption. Then all I could do was add poisoning, much akin to what happened on the fire beetle.
Honestly I think rune corruption is so powerful it should just be a "this is your only skill" option.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is true for many pets. Generally (with exceptions) you want to add from bottom up categorie-wise. I always go through the motions on the same pet on TC first to make sure.
I shouldn't have to go through it twice... insanely stupid and annoying to have to go to TC everytime I want to train up a pet... which you know sometimes I want to keep going... 2, 3, 4, 5.... what then wait 24 hours everytime????? Seems completely WRONG.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I shouldn't have to go through it twice... insanely stupid and annoying to have to go to TC everytime I want to train up a pet... which you know sometimes I want to keep going... 2, 3, 4, 5.... what then wait 24 hours everytime????? Seems completely WRONG.
Oh I agree. For that matter I think you should be able to unlearn skills, not counting PSs, especially with all the secret nerfing going on.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or just train up slots before bothering to train the skills up?
At moment mine actively lose skills as they die about 400 times a day.........maybe I can get a 2 slot to upgrade to a "2 slot" :D
They usually train up skills some while leveling, and it's a lot more difficult to level them when their at base skills. Sure, i could've taken the Frost Mite on TC through the training gate 3 times to get 4,500 Training Points, but that'd hardly imitate the real leveling process on prodo shards. When my Frost Mite started gaining skills, he was still taking 2 Control Slots, yet Animal Lore was saying he was 3 - 5. As soon as i selected "Begin Training", he jumped to 3 Control Slots, and the very first ability i added to him jumped him to 4 Control Slots.

Like, i have a Grizzled Mare that has GM Wrest/Tact/Resist/Anat/Focus, and he only takes 1 Control Slot, yet when i lore him, it says he's 2 - 1 Control Slots. That means when the devs allow the Grizzled Mare to level up, as soon as i click "Begin Training" on him, he'll jump up to 2 Control Slots, and as soon as i actually start adding abilities to him from that completed Training Session, he'll jump up to 3 Control Slots. Hopefully the Grizzled Mare becomes able to reach 5 Control Slots, that'd be awesome.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They usually train up skills some while leveling, and it's a lot more difficult to level them when their at base skills. Sure, i could've taken the Frost Mite on TC through the training gate 3 times to get 4,500 Training Points, but that'd hardly imitate the real leveling process on prodo shards. When my Frost Mite started gaining skills, he was still taking 2 Control Slots, yet Animal Lore was saying he was 3 - 5. As soon as i selected "Begin Training", he jumped to 3 Control Slots, and the very first ability i added to him jumped him to 4 Control Slots.

Like, i have a Grizzled Mare that has GM Wrest/Tact/Resist/Anat/Focus, and he only takes 1 Control Slot, yet when i lore him, it says he's 2 - 1 Control Slots. That means when the devs allow the Grizzled Mare to level up, as soon as i click "Begin Training" on him, he'll jump up to 2 Control Slots, and as soon as i actually start adding abilities to him from that completed Training Session, he'll jump up to 3 Control Slots. Hopefully the Grizzled Mare becomes able to reach 5 Control Slots, that'd be awesome.
When did your Grizzled Mare get fixed ? Mine won't allow training at all, its a simple 1 slot waste of space.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When did your Grizzled Mare get fixed ? Mine won't allow training at all, its a simple 1 slot waste of space.
Mine hasn't been "fixed" yet. I still can't level it yet. But the lore gump says it's 2 out of 1 Slots because it has GM Skills, but it's only actually taking 1 Control Slot. The Slots won't be updated to 2 until they fix Grizzled Mares and i Begin Training on him. His GM skills alone are enough to bump him to 2 Control Slots.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

That's not all. Besides order allowing skills to be added. The Devs are making changes without telling us. Try putting Goo on a beetle now. You cant anymore. But those who did it before the change have a pet you cant make now. Its a daily quest to see what the devs did to change pets each day.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, the underlying issue here seems to point to a lack of accelerated training on test center. I shouldn't have to train something for 10 hours in order to discover something is broken, I should be able to shove my fat assed pet through a big old gate and be done with it. *Set skills* *Set slots* *Set abilities* and whala. Don't like it? Set pet 0, start again. This cuts out 9.9 hours of fluffy BS and allows for real testing to take place.

@devs, sorry, not trying to seem ungrateful but I hate dealing with unnecessary fluff when trying to break stuff.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, the underlying issue here seems to point to a lack of accelerated training on test center. I shouldn't have to train something for 10 hours in order to discover something is broken, I should be able to shove my fat assed pet through a big old gate and be done with it. *Set skills* *Set slots* *Set abilities* and whala. Don't like it? Set pet 0, start again. This cuts out 9.9 hours of fluffy BS and allows for real testing to take place.

@devs, sorry, not trying to seem ungrateful but I hate dealing with unnecessary fluff when trying to break stuff.
Actually, it took about 2.5-3 hours to get the Frost Mite up to GM Wrest/GM Tact/GM Resist/GM Anat/GM Parry/GM Focus/GM Med from fresh tamed.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We guess that will be a problem for all those pets who start at high skill, they bump a control slot easily when reaching GM in some... We personally experienced it with our High Plains Boura, and strongly suspect the same fate for our 3 slot White Wyrms. (Our older trained WW's are lored as 4=>5 already from the get go.)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The way the game weighs skills when deciding pet level is crazy to me. It's quite clear that the reason that dire wolves and hell hounds for example are 2 slots is because of the completely dormant 60 skill points they have in hiding, necro, and ss, as their stats are super super low for a 2 slot, and they are dramatically outclassed by even 1 slots like lesser hiryus and stone sliths. They reallllly need to give that idea another look.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, it took about 2.5-3 hours to get the Frost Mite up to GM Wrest/GM Tact/GM Resist/GM Anat/GM Parry/GM Focus/GM Med from fresh tamed.
My point was, you are experiencing difficulties on a production shard as a result of poor testing on TC. On test, people should be able to log in, test, submit issues to be fixed. Unfortunately, we have to log in, train, then test, train more, then log out because we don't have time to break stuff. Issues don't get fixed because they never get reported, they don't get reported because people don't have the time to break the underlying coding. They don't get to break stuff because there is just too much damn fluff.

Do you see where I am going here?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My point was, you are experiencing difficulties on a production shard as a result of poor testing on TC. On test, people should be able to log in, test, submit issues to be fixed. Unfortunately, we have to log in, train, then test, train more, then log out because we don't have time to break stuff. Issues don't get fixed because they never get reported, they don't get reported because people don't have the time to break the underlying coding. They don't get to break stuff because there is just too much damn fluff.

Do you see where I am going here?
Scripting a gate to max out a pet's skills would take quite a bit of work, probably more than the devs are willing to put into it for something that'll only be for TC. First, it'd have to determine what skills the pet actually has, and what their caps are currently. Did you give your pet Mysticism, but then switch it for Magery, and so it still technically has the Mysticism skill, just not the ability? Stuff like that would complicate it.
Plus, part of the testing process, was determining whether or not certain skills were naturally gaining correctly. If you were simply able to shove your pet through a gate to max it's skill, then we probably wouldn't of discovered on TC that Necro/Mysticism on pets weren't gaining at first.

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@PlayerSkillFTW, the dev. team has more tools at their disposal than we can shake a stick at. They have 20 something years worth of tools at their disposal...that is a lot of tools.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@PlayerSkillFTW, the dev. team has more tools at their disposal than we can shake a stick at. They have 20 something years worth of tools at their disposal...that is a lot of tools.
Not sure how true that is. 20 years of tools... but the majority of which are probably obsolete. It's no secret that a lot of information was lost when Origin moved headquarters some years back.

Easier said than done to say the small developer team should just be able to 'shake a stick' and make something happen.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Scripting a gate to max out a pet's skills would take quite a bit of work, probably more than the devs are willing to put into it for something that'll only be for TC. First, it'd have to determine what skills the pet actually has, and what their caps are currently. Did you give your pet Mysticism, but then switch it for Magery, and so it still technically has the Mysticism skill, just not the ability? Stuff like that would complicate it.
Plus, part of the testing process, was determining whether or not certain skills were naturally gaining correctly. If you were simply able to shove your pet through a gate to max it's skill, then we probably wouldn't of discovered on TC that Necro/Mysticism on pets weren't gaining at first.
The code is already there. It's the same one that is used to set player skill on TC.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure how true that is. 20 years of tools... but the majority of which are probably obsolete. It's no secret that a lot of information was lost when Origin moved headquarters some years back.

Easier said than done to say the small developer team should just be able to 'shake a stick' and make something happen.
This game has made use of several interesting tools since "the great origin data loss" of 1865. There have been several iterations of games used on test for instance, along with several variations of gates designated to providing an instant function of one sort or another, all of which were programmable to taste and function. In addition you have the base ability to set personal skills, which with some changes to coding are quite capable of being used on animals too.

As a 20 year vet, you should be aware at least of some of these tools. You got a taste of them every Halloween you were active during, you got a taste of them every time you logged in to test to see changes, you got a taste of them every time you used the word *give*, *air*, or *set skills*.

Not sure how true something is? You can start by opening your eyes, use them to observe your surroundings. You have had the same 20 years I have to figure out how things work.

Obsolete tools? The game itself is obsolete, so do you really expect the tools to be any different? Rhetorical...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This game has made use of several interesting tools since "the great origin data loss" of 1865. There have been several iterations of games used on test for instance, along with several variations of gates designated to providing an instant function of one sort or another, all of which were programmable to taste and function. In addition you have the base ability to set personal skills, which with some changes to coding are quite capable of being used on animals too.

As a 20 year vet, you should be aware at least of some of these tools. You got a taste of them every Halloween you were active during, you got a taste of them every time you logged in to test to see changes, you got a taste of them every time you used the word *give*, *air*, or *set skills*.

Not sure how true something is? You can start by opening your eyes, use them to observe your surroundings. You have had the same 20 years I have to figure out how things work.

Obsolete tools? The game itself is obsolete, so do you really expect the tools to be any different? Rhetorical...
You can debate semantics all you want. You're missing my main point, so I will repeat it for you:
It is easier said than done to say the small developer team should just be able to 'shake a stick' and make something happen.

You've had the same 20 years to open your eyes and see that suggested changes typically happen at a snails pace... if at all. Especially ones like revamping the whole pet system that they just released, as you're suggesting. It's simply doesn't work like that.

There is quite a lot of activity on this game again since this 'pet revamp'. Clearly people like it despite it's set backs, and people are just starting to get more familiar with the system. Why change it completely when most people are enjoying it?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can debate semantics all you want. You're missing my main point, so I will repeat it for you:
It is easier said than done to say the small developer team should just be able to 'shake a stick' and make something happen.
I didn't miss your point, I was explaining how you were wrong and why. Apparently you skipped all of that and moved right on to c'mer and let me show you this shiny pen.

You've had the same 20 years to open your eyes and see that suggested changes typically happen at a snails pace... if at all. Especially ones like revamping the whole pet system that they just released, as you're suggesting. It's simply doesn't work like that.
Do you have any knowledge to how the game works on the back end? What I am suggesting is not a hypothetical, the current tool set can be adapted to suit the needs of the current caretakers. Again, your own lack of knowledge does not make something less true, it just means you aren't aware of the facts. I suggest you read up on some of the Draconi interviews where he touches base on some of the tools he used (10 years ago), this will give you a good start on information that would prove invaluable to debating what has been presented.

When you revamp something like the pet system, you want to test everything you possibly can in the shortest amount of time possible. What I mentioned was not out of the scope of what is possible, but instead of looking at my solution you choose to debate its possibility without factual knowledge to dispute my claims.
:facepalm:

There is quite a lot of activity on this game again since this 'pet revamp'. Clearly people like it despite it's set backs, and people are just starting to get more familiar with the system. Why change it completely when most people are enjoying it?
Good grief dude, you completely missed the point of my post, I offered rebuttal, but then missed the point again. It is almost as if you are trying to bait me (again). Please harass someone else, thanks.