• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

From UHall: A direct question to the developers.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know the drill. A guy is scripting. He's in the same places, doing the same things, for hours and days and weeks on end. So someone pages, a GM appears, the script sets off a GM alarm, and the professional farmer comes over to where he has a dozen characters all online scripting. He responds to the GM, the GM leaves, and he goes back to scripting for hours and days and weeks on end.

I know he's scripting, you know he's scripting, everyone knows he's scripting. He's not some legitimate player who farms painted caves or mines for 23 hours per day and stands there yelling "Kal Ort Por" helplessly when you put a bagball on his recall spot because he's just dumb. He's scripting.

WHY DON'T YOU BAN HIM EVEN THOUGH HE EVENTUALLY ANSWERED? YOU KNOW HE IS SCRIPTING.

WHY?

E

Emil IsTemp

If your attended, you can run scripts all you want... you dont even need UOA to make the macrows.

If your unattended, your can and should be banned.

E

Emil IsTemp

Fixed it for you. All Scripts should equate to bannage. Sorry!
Target Next, Attack Last on my F2... I hold F2 down, I target and attack all the monsters on the screen within one second... using normal game mechanics... def bannable...

:bs:

E

Extra Value Meal

Target Next, Attack Last on my F2... I hold F2 down, I target and attack all the monsters on the screen within one second... using normal game mechanics... def bannable...

:bs:
Since when do ingame macros have to be presented when its inferred that this doesn't fall under the player-conceived notion of scripting? If anything, those are Macros. Unless of course you require a separate program to do it for you which you don't :).

E

Emil IsTemp

Since when do ingame macros have to be presented when its inferred that this doesn't fall under the player-conceived notion of scripting? If anything, those are Macros. Unless of course you require a separate program to do it for you which you don't :).
Does a golf ball count?

E

Emil IsTemp

That's pretty sad.
Aye it is.. only used that one for getting rid of my short terms back in the day rolleyes:

Want to stop scripting? Remove UOA, Remove any/all macrows/hotkeys, and let everyone click and drag their way around the world.

Yea, i could live that way, can you?

E

Extra Value Meal

Aye it is.. only used that one for getting rid of my short terms back in the day rolleyes:

Want to stop scripting? Remove UOA, Remove any/all macrows/hotkeys, and let everyone click and drag their way around the world.

Yea, i could live that way, can you?
Exactly! Because you know that it would work too which is why you presented it. Right!?...right?

A

Alrich

UOA/macros != scripting

scripting is using an automated program to input commands for you.

Much more advanced then setting up good macros and/or going with the penny-wedged-in-your-keyboard trick. Scripts can run your char around, mine, drop off supplies, get more tools when needed, etc. MUCH different from UOA making your life easier.

E

Emil IsTemp

Exactly! Because you know that it would work too which is why you presented it. Right!?...right?
Exactly.. yar! :).

Well, it would work for a while.. the scripts would prolly still work through a cursor-recording of sorts.. Im all for Punkbuster or a similar progie..

*smacks head*

If EA or whomever detects someone looping the exact same thing over and over, or hitting macrows at the same intervals.. they should get the axe. But this is EA were talking about. They weigh their options:

"Hmm... this guy is paying us money... lets keep him"

E

Extra Value Meal

Well, it would work for a while.. the scripts would prolly still work through a cursor-recording of sorts.. Im all for Punkbuster or a similar progie..

*smacks head*

If EA or whomever detects someone looping the exact same thing over and over, or hitting macrows at the same intervals.. they should get the axe. But this is EA were talking about. They weigh their options:

"Hmm... this guy is paying us money... lets keep him"
I agree with you there. Punkbuster is a needed addition and sadly yes, sometimes I wonder if EA doesn't combat scripters because of that reason.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why aren't they banned? Because despite having rules setting out that some programs are considered illegal, nobody seems to get banned for using them. Which IMHO is the biggest joke in EA's stance on cheating.

According to the rules you should be at the keyboard and only use UO or UOA to run macros. This limits the actions you can automate and the length of the macro. You can't legally run either UO or UOA macros 24/7.

If done illegally however, we can automate virtually any player action (if the script is well programmed) and leave it 24/7. As long as our alarm notifies us of a GM and we respond, nothing is done. And I'm sure there are some scripts which are even automating the response to a GM too.

IMHO it doesn't matter if you're sitting beside the PC watching TV, if you're using an illegal program which allows you to automate everything in game, you deserve no better treatment than the fully AFK scripter. Because the only difference between the casual script runner and the big guys is the number of PCs they watch.

Ban the lot of them...If they must be treated nicely 1 strike then the second occurrence is a ban. If you need 3 tellings you're too slow a learner, don't catch your butt in the door as you go.

Wenchy

H

Hunters Moon

Could you have used a bigger font? That one just isn't large enough. /sarcasm

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Developers do not have the mandate to ban anyone. Customer service aka GMs are the only ones with the power to do this. So you are asking your question to the wrong people.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have very little information about customer service department. They hardly ever post here or ask for our feedback, which is surprising since you would think the customer service department would be interested in this. Everyone griefs the developers without understanding that they can do absolutely nothing about it. If people want any answers they better start whining about the CS and not the poor developers.

E

Emil IsTemp

We have very little information about customer service department. They hardly ever post here or ask for our feedback, which is surprising since you would think the customer service department would be interested in this. Everyone griefs the developers without understanding that they can do absolutely nothing about it. If people want any answers they better start whining about the CS and not the poor developers.
We have a customer service department? I never would have thought!

Oh wait, we have an outsourced customer service department.. i would ask them some questions, but i dont speak hindi, and they dont understand english.. not to steriotype or anything..

Yes, and then we have the devs.. where Fluff > Fixes.. Granted, they put forth the most effort, and im fairly happy with their performance of late.. but i can wait for pixel crack.. the players cant wait any longer for the fixes.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure Jeremy is capable of passing on our kind regards to the CS team :) As none of the CS folks come here, and we've tried the proper channels, the last resort is to appeal to the folks who do speak to us - Jeremy and the dev team.

Though the developers can do something about cheating. It's in the title...Develop the game so players don't feel the need to cheat to begin with, and help the CS team by automatically flagging accounts who do the same thing 24/7.

Wenchy

M

MoonglowMerchant

You know the drill. A guy is scripting. He's in the same places, doing the same things, for hours and days and weeks on end. So someone pages, a GM appears, the script sets off a GM alarm, and the professional farmer comes over to where he has a dozen characters all online scripting. He responds to the GM, the GM leaves, and he goes back to scripting for hours and days and weeks on end.

I know he's scripting, you know he's scripting, everyone knows he's scripting. He's not some legitimate player who farms painted caves or mines for 23 hours per day and stands there yelling "Kal Ort Por" helplessly when you put a bagball on his recall spot because he's just dumb. He's scripting.

WHY DON'T YOU BAN HIM EVEN THOUGH HE EVENTUALLY ANSWERED? YOU KNOW HE IS SCRIPTING.

WHY?
Here. Have a beehive.

W

wrekognize

I've been watching the same person script for over a year now. They of course wear the darkwood set. I've found two of their hunting spots, and i'm sure they have more. One is in the prism of light, another is in the Dojo in tokuno where the stealables are. I've of course reported this person many times, only to log on the next day and see them running the same scripts. I've also got them killed many times, to which they do not go get ressed and get their body. This person is obviously not at their computer.

I'm tired of seeing people cheat when I work hard for the money I get. It's to the point where they know they can get away with it.

The sad thing is that I even have someone in my alliance who I know scripts for ingots. I hate cheating, so I reported him when I knew he was scripting. THE GMs did nothing at all.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 Simple Questions.....

1) Does anyone have any doubt that the person in question is Scripting? Attended or Not. ( 24/7, Multiple shards, persistance, lack of response to game world changes etc..)

NO

2) Should someone SO BLATANTLY breaking the rules continue to play UO ?

NO

J

Joyous2K

I have an in-game macro that lasts about 45 minutes. Quite amazing. I lie down and watch a movie and keep just the bare minimum of UO visible. That way, if some Bagball wants to run up to me and accuse me of something I can minimize the movie and watch to see what happens.

G

galefan2004

Fixed it for you. All Scripts should equate to bannage. Sorry!
Just because you wish it to be so doesn't make it so. Its been the policy of gms to only check for programs if they catch you unattended. If you are attended they really don't care. That comes from a long policy of ignoring attended scripters just because they are scripting.

G

galefan2004

Why do you keep bringing up PB? Its never going to happen. They decided not to impliment it because of a huge uproar of no thanks from the player community. I would never allow a third party program to scan my hard drive. If EA worked a scan of some sort into its own client (like WoW has) I would feel a little more comfortable.

This is exactly what UOA does. It runs the same things over and over when it runs macros. Those macros are 100% legal. Its pretty hard to determine them from other scripts.

G

galefan2004

Ban the lot of them...If they must be treated nicely 1 strike then the second occurrence is a ban. If you need 3 tellings you're too slow a learner, don't catch your butt in the door as you go.

Wenchy
You definately don't catch on well. I'll say it again. If they banned every casual scripter they might as well shut down the servers the next day because they just got rid of 60-70% of the player base in one day. EA isn't that stupid. If you want there to be an end to scripting then you remove the reason those casual scripters script in the first place. By the time you've gmed your 10th crafting skill its just not fun to click make last item over and over. Once you have made your 1000th bow for the Heartwood quests its just not doable by hand anymore. Once you have filled 1000 bods it gets annoying as all hell to do it by hand. That is what most casual scripters run programs to do, and those are design flaws that are overcome by programs not programs being used to overly exploit anything.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your attended, you can run scripts all you want... you dont even need UOA to make the macrows.

THEN THE RULES NEED TO BE CHANGED BECAUSE THE GAME IS BEING DESTROYED.

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talked to a scripter one day quite awhile back. I watched for some time and noticed the repetitive actions always in the same sequence and intervals and knew it was a scripter.

I said "Hi" and immediately got a "Hi" back, which surprised me. I said something further and got the response "I don't speak English". Then I said something else and got the response about not speaking English again, so I said "Bye" and she said "Bye". I stayed there awhile longer with neither of us saying anything and finally said "Bye" again and got a "Bye" back again.

I imagine these responses were part of the script. It appears the char is attended because it responds. It says it can't speak English so that's the only response you get when you try talking to it and you don't get any conversation to confirm it is attended.

What would a gm do in this case? :sad4:

K

Kiminality

THEN THE RULES NEED TO BE CHANGED BECAUSE THE GAME IS BEING DESTROYED.
Is it really necessary to express yourself like that?
I find it hard to take anything written like that even remotely seriously...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clear up a few things.

Based on everything I know about this game and its rules.

1. Using a 3rd party programs that are not approved, and that interfere with or interact with the game in some way, is not allowed by the rules of the game. This is true whether you are attended or not. "Scripting" usually means automating certain in-game functions. Most of the time, scripting involves using an unapproved 3rd party program. There's one out there in particular that's the really big offender.

2. Macroing unattended is not allowed by the rules of the game, whether the method you are using to macro is itself allowed or not. You are breaking the rules when you hold down a key with tape and walk away.

Now, I happen to dislike scripting intensely. The fact that it violates the rules of the game is enough for me. Its effects on the economy and other aspects of the game can be debated endlessly.

At the end of the day, though, what's really important is that we all play this game. And, thus, we consent to the rules.

Try playing Chess with someone, and making, say, a Rook move the wrong way. Your opponent is very likely going to object. And he'd be right to do so.

If you do not like the rules, play another game. Or, accept the fact that no product you purchase is ever going to be perfect, and this is no less true for computer games than it is for, say, cars.

This isn't to say you can't complain. This is, however, to say, that complaining about the rules and breaking them are 2 very different things.

However.....I have never received an adequate answer to the following issue. Let's say I'm a GM, and I am looking at a suspected scripter. I appear, and he talks to me, with a few moments' delay. He says "I know it looks like I'm scripting. Me and my friends do this all day in 4- to 6-hour shifts. We sell gold for real money, live off of it, and spend the rest of our time doing fun things in-game. It looks like we're scripting because we do this all the time and have it down. Pathetic? Yes, officer, but true."

Would you, as a GM, ban that person anyway? Not if you're smart. Banning a paying customer is a very touchy thing. And his explanation is credible.

When the GMs do seem to catch a scripter, it is because the character's behavior can't possibly be explained in any other way.

To my mind, the true solutions to scripting are the following.

Pick at least 2, any 2, of the following.

1. Punkbuster or some similar technology.

2. Hiring more GMs and giving them the time and freedom to do their jobs properly.

3. Ban the sale of in-game stuff for RL money.

4. Stop making changes that favor scripting, such as the mining changes (rotating veins of ore, in the name of realism? laughable) and the Bag of Sending changes (now, scripting is really the only way to gold farm).

-Galen's player

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Using scripts requires a 3rd Party Program. UOAssist is the only legal 3rd Party Macro Program of its kind to use with UO. So if someone is scripting without UOAssist, then they are not adhering to the Terms of Service for Ultima Online.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=306

QUESTION
Which 3rd Party Programs can I use with UO?

Answer
Only these programs are permitted to be used with UO. If you don't see a program listed here, it is not approved for use with UO.

These products were created, and are marketed and distributed by individual authors under license from Electronic Arts, Inc. Electronic Arts HAS NOT TESTED THESE PRODUCTS IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER AND DOES NOT KNOW WHETHER THEY WORK IN ANY OR ALL REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS OR THAT THEY WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE IN SOME REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS. The individual author solely warrants that these products will work as intended to your reasonable expectations, and does not infringe anyone's intellectual property rights.

Electronic Arts has not checked the source code for any of these programs. Electronic Arts will not be held responsible for anything that should happen to your account or computer as a result of using these programs. Electronic Arts does not support these programs. If you have problems with them, please contact the author of the program directly. Use at your own risk.

Programs such as ICQ, AIM, UO Trace, or any other program that runs independently of UO, and has no effect on the UO data stream or software are generally ok to use.

We are frequently asked about programs such as Multi-UO and some programs that automate macros in the game. Again, if it is not in the approved list of UO Pro programs, then it is not ok to use with UO.

We are not currently accepting submissions to the Third Party Affiliate Program.

G

galefan2004

1. Punkbuster or some similar technology.
Punkbuster is not a solution. All of the programs have work arounds. All PB does is scan a few things (your windows menu bar and some files) which can and will be masked by players if PB goes live. WoW runs Warden and they still have plenty of macroers in that game.

2. Hiring more GMs and giving them the time and freedom to do their jobs properly.
I'm not sure this is really an issue. It seems that most of the time gms simply don't respond to players that actually don't need a response, but they do respond to players that need a response.

3. Ban the sale of in-game stuff for RL money.
This has never been affective in any game, and that includes WoW. Banning the sale of anything that someone has legal access to for money is just not a good idea.

4. Stop making changes that favor scripting, such as the mining changes (rotating veins of ore, in the name of realism? laughable) and the Bag of Sending changes (now, scripting is really the only way to gold farm).
I totally agree. They could also make changes that remove reasons to script...such as actually being able to get the heartwood quest you want without clicking a hundred times, and removing the ammount of clicks needed to gm certain skills.

If they changed the systems to make them more friendly instead of more difficult then they would decrease the ammount of scripters. Most casual scripters only script systems that they don't want to click 500,000 times or more to accomplish anything from. Having anything require mulitple clicks as a a means of difficulty is just stupid.

G

galefan2004

Using scripts requires a 3rd Party Program. UOAssist is the only legal 3rd Party Macro Program of its kind to use with UO. So if someone is scripting without UOAssist, then they are not adhering to the Terms of Service for Ultima Online.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=306
Under the ToS many of the programs listed for download on Stratics, and many of the programs I use that should be legal are actually illegal to use. For example, Bulk Order Deeds program (downloadble from Stratics) and the Treasure Hunting Tools program I use are both illegal. Its also interesting that UOAMap is now in limbo because according to the ROC the programs that are UO Pro are being developed by people with the consent of EA, and UOAMap is no longer being developed in such a fashion.