• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Friends wants to play as a tank

TrackStar

Journeyman
He doesn't want to be a Sampire.

He wants to use a shield and bandages.

What's best build, state, skills and item path for this goal?

Haraldur Tyrsson

Adventurer
If he is just starting out and doesn't have any of the recent event drops/artifacts... I'd start with something like:
120 parrying
120 weapon (i'd actually go with macing - the masteries work well with healing/chiv)
100 tact
100 anatomy
100 resist
90 heal (use enhanced aids)
90 chiv

Once he is more established, maybe get some +skill gear to increase some of those skills. It really depends on what you want to do with the character. It won't be as strong as someone with bushido+2h weapons but I use a similar build during the Treasure of Events and it does really well.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
He doesn't want to be a Sampire.

He wants to use a shield and bandages.

What's best build, state, skills and item path for this goal?
I have a Mace and Shield Paladin warrior with the following:
120 Mace Fighting
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
115 Parrying
105 Healing
110 Anatomy
080 Resist Spells

(I am getting 50 additional skill points from jewels)

As others have pointed out, the Mace Fighting mastery is actually pretty good and works well in a Paladin type of template. I run with sets of Barbed Whips and Hammer Picks as my weapons. Set will include major slayer groups and the various elemental weaknesses. 150 hit points, 185 stamina, rest in mana. I do not use a refined suit on this character and instead have 45 DCI. While it's very tanky and survivable, best scenario is to have another cross healing warrior with you, although that's a bit of a lost art these days. It can do most champ spawns and peerless content without issue.

This was my first character. I originally started with swordsmanship instead of macing and used a combination of radiant scmitars and long swords. The 120 chivalry is probably overkill, so if I were to make any change, it would be to increase resist spells and decrease chiv a bit.

Happy to give you any other information or answer other questions. Good luck on your adventure!

TrackStar

Journeyman
If he is just starting out
Thank you. He has a seasoned account and access to resources.

I have a Mace and Shield Paladin warrior with the following:
120 Mace Fighting
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
115 Parrying
105 Healing
110 Anatomy
080 Resist Spells

(I am getting 50 additional skill points from jewels)

As others have pointed out, the Mace Fighting mastery is actually pretty good and works well in a Paladin type of template. I run with sets of Barbed Whips and Hammer Picks as my weapons. Set will include major slayer groups and the various elemental weaknesses. 150 hit points, 185 stamina, rest in mana. I do not use a refined suit on this character and instead have 45 DCI. While it's very tanky and survivable, best scenario is to have another cross healing warrior with you, although that's a bit of a lost art these days. It can do most champ spawns and peerless content without issue.

This was my first character. I originally started with swordsmanship instead of macing and used a combination of radiant scmitars and long swords. The 120 chivalry is probably overkill, so if I were to make any change, it would be to increase resist spells and decrease chiv a bit.

Happy to give you any other information or answer other questions. Good luck on your adventure!
Sounds awesome. I will run this by him.

Haraldur Tyrsson

Adventurer
Ah okay, so he may have access to the SSI eps and SSI quiver. Carrying a shield can really make it much easier to fill out his suit too. I believe the shield mine carries is just a reforged/crafted wooden shield with 5 hci, 15 dci, 25 di, and also 10 ssi. It may have fc too, can't remember.

Mine runs a very similar final build with final gear as Merlin's.
120 macing
120 chiv
120 parry
120 tactics
120 anatomy
100 healing
115 resist

1h weapons have less imbue weight, so I'd really focus on getting di and ssi off the weapon to allow for more properties on your weapon.

I think it's a really fun build. He does well in Blackthorn's too. Stagger debuff's mobs ssi so it will give you time to cast chiv spells or heal with bandages. Toughness will allow you to go over the 150 hp cap and if you have a bard in your group... you can get a TON of hp!

Mine is also human and I will use JOAT for some Spellweaving spells too.

Last edited: