• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free-to-play MMOs profitable?

G

I think this is a very smart plan for mmorpgs and UO specifically. When theres no cost related apprehension the players flock in and get hooked, and then are highly likely to either upgrade accounts or buy items or upgrades from a store you could set up.

I really think UO would greatly benefit from a limited free client option and an expanded item store. UO has alot of stuff to do and keep a persons attention, I just think alot of people are out out because it seems antiquated, but I think if it were free many many people would at least give it a go, and im willing to bet alot of those people will be hooked.

I mean I play fallen sword, which is a vastly more basic game than UO, and while I dont buy any items from them TONS of people do, and for pretty good hunks of cash.

I really think it would be a good idea for UO to look into it.

G

only problem with this idea is...
they would have to add ingame advertizements to make the money they are losing and im sure all us uo players dont want ads in the way of our uo

G

No,
speaking theoretically, advertising in a game like this wouldn't be an option, primarily because no advertisers would buy the space. I could see the game funded with a small budget using in-game micro transactions and a more robust web presence for advertising.
The thing about micro transactions that makes them so great is that they can be far superior to paid subscription, if I were to play a free to play game I'd invest quite heavily in them because of the time and effort they would save me and enable me to enjoy the game far more.
I can earn 100x more working for an hour than I can for example, farming gold, earning rare items or aquiring rank, so financially it just makes sense to pay for it.

So long as the micro transaction doesn't compromise the integrity of the game and the balance between players it's an awesome solution. Free games attract heaps of players, simpy using the appeal of being free. If for every 100 players you attract in that way 1 of them spends $5 a month on the game you have a higher profit potential than any subscription based service, primarly because you have such a wider audience to tap into.

There's far far more considerations to take in, but I do believe a free to play, funded by micro transactions system is superior to a subscription based one.

G

<blockquote><hr>

only problem with this idea is...
they would have to add ingame advertizements to make the money they are losing and im sure all us uo players dont want ads in the way of our uo

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. If you just add a free client account with enough options to make it fun, but enough cool stuff left out to make people want to pay, and an expanded item store with rares and cool stuff like that, I think that you would draw in a LOT of new players, and I feel some good percentage of them would end up expanding to full accounts once they got hooked, and the item store would bring in a lot of money from both old and new players.

I think the most important limitation to free accounts would be housing, as I think its one of UO's most attractive features.

G

I actual disagree here too.
There's no reason free accounts should be limited at all under an ideal system.
The basic account should be the basic account, no restrictions, no limitations.
A subscription or premium account should offer advantages, logistical more than anything else.

Purely out of thin air;
Let's say paying $10 a month meant you could upload a custom guild logo that you could make into wearables, you would get prime NPC spots at banks for your own vendors, your runebooks became unlimited charge and you get special dye tubs that only paid players can use and insurance is free.

That right there is more than enough to make certain people want to pay, practically every current player would jump on it, because it makes no difference, they pay anyway right now.

when you then consider the micro transaction angle, you go all out, more character slots, extra bank space, special items, ridables, bless deeds. I'm sure others can come up with better ideas.
the trick is to maintain skill based balance, the player who's better at the skill based aspect of the game, regardless of account type should be superior in all competitive aspects of the game. Once you have that, the limit is your imagination.

G

Housing would be a huge carrot to offer with a paid account only. If UO ever went with a free model, the basic, free account should not include housing.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's either completely free, or it's not. There is no worse decision for a game designer than to exclude part of your fans.

You either bring an MMO and allow it completely free, or you don't.

Currently as far as I'm concerned, no MMO besides Tabula Rasa is worth the monthly fee anymore. We've gone from paying for new content to paying for maintenance and upkeep costs.

G

Having a free model with certain limits imposed would be a fantastic way to encourage an influx of new players. For instance, any free accounts could have a skills cap imposed so they cannot raise any skill above 80. And as it has been said already, no houses is another great one.

It is not so much excluding, as encouraging. You can give them a taste of what makes UO such a great game, really hype up the community elements so that they can see what this game is built on, and that would definitely see a rise in users. Whether that can be translated into more paying accounts is the major issue.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Currently as far as I'm concerned, no MMO besides Tabula Rasa is worth the monthly fee anymore. We've gone from paying for new content to paying for maintenance and upkeep costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know how thats working out for you ...
say ...
about six months from now ...
K?

G

Wow, this thread was a great chance for discussion very much on topic, what a waste.