• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Founder of Ultima, Richard Garriot, going to Space

J

Jhym

I still think it's disappointing and such a waste. But nobody else thinks it is but me, so may he enjoy his 10 day 30M$ idiotic vacation in space.

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
His money, he does what ever he wants with it ok? I think it's a waste that you buy groceries with your cash when you could be giving it to less fortunate.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
His money, he does what ever he wants with it ok? I think it's a waste that you buy groceries with your cash when you could be giving it to less fortunate.
Did you really just type that out? Good grief..nice comparison..

A

AesSedai

Jhym I saw your post last week or so.
I haven't looked into how his space trip is funded, lately. But last year when it was officially announced, there was a lot of talk about NCSoft picking up perhaps all of the bill as marketing expense.

We spoke about our mutual dreams of space less than 1 month before it was announced, and it struck me as odd that he was so optimistic that he would be going (some people were taking trips on the vomit comet, another Garriott venture, with him at this time & I'm still jealous!); I just thought he was more pointedly optimistic than I, but I may never know the truth (that's my only encounter with Mr. Garriott, so far; and I still think he's a great man).
So, when the news broke I was all over that & I clearly recall talk of corporate sponsorships aka NCSoft payin' some. Just sayin'.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think it's disappointing and such a waste. But nobody else thinks it is but me, so may he enjoy his 10 day 30M$ idiotic vacation in space.
these are the kind of steps we need to take because some day the human race is going to have to leave this planet to survive. Richard Garriot is a saint for promoting and furthering space travel and you call him an idiot.

you are a disgrace. lighten up a little.

you say "no one else thinks it but me" there's plenty of backward thinking people out there who think they are just as special as you are. lol.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
these are the kind of steps we need to take because some day the human race is going to have to leave this planet to survive. Richard Garriot is a saint for promoting and furthering space travel and you call him an idiot.

you are a disgrace. lighten up a little.

you say "no one else thinks it but me" there's plenty of backward thinking people out there who think they are just as special as you are. lol.

What????? I guess Lance Bass is a saint as well? Promoting and Furthering space travel? Funny, I thought NASA did that.....:loser:

Oh, and how nice to be called a disgrace by , wait for it.........."drinkbeerallday".....what a country.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How is it a stretch? So far, it's an identical comparison.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What????? I guess Lance Bass is a saint as well? Promoting and Furthering space travel? Funny, I thought NASA did that.....:loser:

Oh, and how nice to be called a disgrace by , wait for it.........."drinkbeerallday".....what a country.
you're just jealous. lol!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice comeback....you thought of that while responding in that other thread didn't you?

A

AesSedai

Difference is, Lance Bass didn't have the funds, the wherewithall, to do it.
As well, Garriott had a much bigger vision from the beginning than just being a rockstar space tourist.

NASA?
Love 'em for trying.
Why can't civilians spread the word too?
Carl Sagan? Richard Branson?

I haven't read up on Richard's website in a few, but it is a very good read for those that have any interest in knowing what Mr. Garriott's space trip is all about.

N

nushpapa

Lol someone just is jealous he can afford it. If your that rich, money is not of any concern.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So he's not just an eccentric kook that doesn't know what to do with his money? I'm being serious here too..$100 bucks says there's a hyperbaric chamber somewhere down in the dungeons of his castle...

F

Flora Green

His money, his choice. Plenty of other ways to truly waste money.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something does not have to have an obvious practical use today to be useful in the future. NASA, along with other government space organizations, do lot of great work and have to be commended. However, the greatest progress (or exploitation) will only come when private individuals and companies get excited about it. This is just a start that will revolutionize the way we look at space in the coming decades.

You cannot damn a person for having a dream and following through with it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's real easy to tell people you have a dream that you're following through with, after you've made millions of dollars first. I doubt very seriously that Richard was sitting pounding out code back in the day saying, "One day I'll get to the moon". I play the Lotto once in a while, with hopes of someday winning. When I do, I"m going to come up with some obscure, pompous "Dream" and claim it's been with me since childhood. Because most people will believe me if I"m famous enough...:scholar:

A

AesSedai

- His dad was an astronaut for NASA. He is far from cuckoo. I spoke with him for a good amount of time last year and have never met a more down-to-earth, more 'real', multi-millionaire. My word for him would be: genuine.
Maybe he has a hyperbaric chamber, I have no idea although I did prod him into sharing a lot of the cool things he has in his house that aren't on any youtube videos; besides, a lot more than Lance's buddy M Jackson have considered the potential benefits of hyperbaric chambers. If we could all afford one, who knows, we all might live a few more years on average (no, I don't own one :)).

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GarthGrey:
I don't really give a hoot about your pessimism and you are welcome to keep it to yourself :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GarthGrey:
I don't really give a hoot about your pessimism and you are welcome to keep it to yourself :)
It's just a Give and Take conversation, don't take it personally. And I'm optimistic about many things. :lick:

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am glad that you are optimistic about many things. There is hope for you then :)

F

Flora Green

It's real easy to tell people you have a dream that you're following through with, after you've made millions of dollars first. I doubt very seriously that Richard was sitting pounding out code back in the day saying, "One day I'll get to the moon". I play the Lotto once in a while, with hopes of someday winning. When I do, I"m going to come up with some obscure, pompous "Dream" and claim it's been with me since childhood. Because most people will believe me if I"m famous enough...:scholar:
I'm trying to find the logic in your post. Instead all that it reads is bitter. What do you even care if he, Lance Bass or Bob Smith of 123 Green Street goes?

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He wants to do what his Father did, his father did a few missions in space as his career as a astronaut, wanting to do something as spectacular as going into outer space, as his father has is for one take a great deal of courage to get into a machine with the fuel needed to launch into space with the possiability of death frmo a malfunction to radiation poisoning from the sun, it is very brave and takes a strong person to go into space

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has he been quoted as saying he wants to do what his Father did, or are you simply speculating?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm trying to find the logic in your post. Instead all that it reads is bitter. What do you even care if he, Lance Bass or Bob Smith of 123 Green Street goes?

You read that as "bitter"? I didn't feel bitter when I typed it. And it's far too late in the evening for logic....:dunce:

A

AesSedai

I doubt very seriously that Richard was sitting pounding out code back in the day saying, "One day I'll get to the moon".
- Maybe not. But if you replace "moon" with "space" then I would strongly disagree based on his published history and what we said to each other (sorry I didn't carry a recorder).

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok Ok, you've made it perfectly clear that you and Richard have spoken. :thumbup1:

F

Flora Green

You read that as "bitter"? I didn't feel bitter when I typed it. And it's far too late in the evening for logic....:dunce:
Far too late indeed. Point taken. :) And as usual there are times when text appears one way and means something else. I actually was going to edit and say I wasn't trying to be confrontational, but you beat me with a reply. :D

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m just enjoying the conversation actually. If Richards had a dream of following his Father into space, good for him. He has my admiration (not jealousy) for having the means and the determination to do it. Could his money be spent in better ways? (I"ve lived in Austin and like any city, there's a homeless problem there too). And I fully understand that it's his money to do with what he likes......

A

AesSedai

- The only point I'm trying to make is that you seem to be making baseless accusations about a person who could very well be a future space-icon & hero to many, even children with dreams, due to his dedication and not due to the money he has made. He has been greatly vested in space long before he started selling software out of his hatchback. You should look into it some ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're absolutely right. I should read up on him more. Which is why I haven't been speaking "Matter of factly", only, "Opinionated...ly".

And I shall give you the last word on this as it pertains to me,(drops the educated tone for a laid back Tennessee one), cuz I"m goin to bed ya'll...:sleep2:

A

AesSedai

- Point well-taken.
I meant baseless opinionations not accusations.
err, umm, yeah!

But seriously, there are some great reads on him out on these here internets.
I can't wait until the big media starts talking it up about him (surely including UO a bit too) over the next few months. He might be too eccentric for mainstream, who knows. But this guy is very genuine. I wouldn't doubt it if he was eventually offered more money as a result of going to space than what he spent getting there in the first place; he's a people-person, if ya' know what I mean.

L

Lady_Mina

Well it's his money and his dream...I just hope he mentioned UO more to the media rather then tebula rasa...

UO could use some adverticement so it attracts some people , cause some servers are damn empty.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple of alternate viewpoints :p

That's a 30 mil funding that's coming from the private sector that will defray the mission costs. A mission that's just the beginning of comercial space flights/exploration.

So to look at it on the bright side, he's indirectly funding research in making commercially viable space flight for mankind (hopefully in my lifetime).

Not sure about his childhood dreams, but the initial Utimas did have some space/space shuttle elements to it. So it does show his interest in these sorts of things in his early works.

For donations to charity - I believe lots of ultra rich folks do donate to charity. If not out of the kindness of their hearts, then for the prestige. Possibly even to get themselves a tax break (lower tax brackets maybe? Read it somewhere, not sure how it works). Hell, if a charity is looking for funds, I'm guessing they'll send out invitations to all the rich folks first.

S

Sarphus

I think it's great that LBR is going to space. To you, 30 mil may look like wasted money. To me, that looks like an investment in future technological advancements.

The space program has brought us a number of technological advancements and the cash injections from this consumer space adventure will probably bring further development. I did a quick google search to get a list of some tech that came from the space program and came up with this site...
http://www.spacecoalition.com/products.cfm

I knew a lot came from the space program. I only knew about velcro and microspheres without looking it up, though.

If you're interested in going green; pretty much all of the technologies involved in green construction originate from the space program. Insulation, radiant barriers and solar cells.

so anyway... I would argue that anyone who says the 30 million should be just given as a handout to the poor just doesn't know what they're talking about. We will always have poor people, because personal decisions and political problems are what causes poverty. With advances in technology, we can make being poor a move liveable problem, though. You can't solve poverty by throwing money at the problem.