• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

found a keylogger on your comp?

Trolls T Hunter

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it happened to me unfortunately for them I had nothing of value.

Wondering where it came from?

Considering I have no contact with people through email, I have never used ICQ or other chat programs, I only visit or post on ONE UO related site. So you can probally come to the same conclusion I did as to where the key logger came from.

That being said if I do post here or read this board it will only happen from work.

S

Sir Ha-ward

have u clicked on the free games banner at top any? and how did u find the logger?

N

Nerf-Herder

I only seem to have virus/trojan problems when I DL smut.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I only seem to have virus/trojan problems when I DL smut.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Make sure you have a firewall and virus scanner running, and do a periodic check with spybot or some other program to check for these. With a good firewall, a keylogger should be less of a problem because it can't report back.

How often you scan depends on how much smut you download.

S

Sir Ha-ward

I thought that the anti virus detects these right away if they are downloaded / attempted to dl?

G

Recently we have found that some of the most nasty viruses and trojans were transported by USB sticks.

You know, when you insert the USB stick (or external USB hard drive), when windows asks you whether you want to show the content, import the pictures and whatever...

CLICK THE CROSS TO CLOSE THAT WINDOW! If you want to see what is on the drive, open an explorer yourself and open the disk. Some nasty programs pose as that window and get access to your computer that way.

Kind regards

G

Depends on how good your antivirus program is. Many of them don't look for keyloggers.

G

i found mine by having my chars stand around at moonglow looking stripped. same as you im not sure how the keylogger got on thoo.

Trolls T Hunter

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you have a firewall and virus scanner running

I have a firewall and antivirus and haven't downloaded anything in like a year. I'll just say I must of got careless and clicked on a link.

" have u clicked on the free games banner at top any? and how did u find the logger? "

I do remember clicking on a banner ad for some multiplayer space game that was here on stratics for like a month. Odd that stratics would let people pay for banner adds that direct thier own clients to viruses.

G

It is not likely to have been a banner ad, although it is possible. Never ever follow a link that someone puts in a stratics message. That is the most likely culprit for a keylogger program.

OP - Would you please send me a pm with the name of the keylogger, assuming you found the actual program.