• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For those of you that noticed....

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been on ICQ a lot less the last week. Late Tuesday my mom called and informed me that my Dad was entering Hospice Care Wednesday. As most of you know, he has a form of uncureable and unstoppable lung cancer. It has only gotten worse since January, when he celebrated his 76th birthday.

Right now he's pretty heavily medicated and his statement is "We all gotta die some day, we knew it was coming."

Just explaining my silence and absence a bit this week. I'm still trying to cope with it and know that actually loosing him will be harder, but...yeah, that's where I am.

I'm going to attempt to schedule an auction, just be warned due to circumstances, it may be canceled at a moment's notice.

F

Flora Green

I'm sorry, Cassie. :( You and your family are in my thoughts.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cassie, I'm sorry to hear that his illness has progressed to this point. It's tough when family is taken suddenly and sometimes harder knowing. Spend as much quality time as you can with him. Having you by his side is the best comfort he could have right now.

- Melissa

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It makes you realize how little things that happen happen for a reason.

I'm the youngest of the kids in the family at 29. My youngest brother is 38. Then the ages go 49, 51 and the oldest, if he were alive, would be 53. Mom and dad have been married for 54 years. I missed out on my brother's wedding which was in Vegas as I didn't have money to go out there then or time off. Which was when most of hte family got together.

For his 75th birthday, we all surprised the crap out of him by all showing up at a restaurant for his 75th birthday. The four kids and the young grandkids had never been under the same roof as our parents in more than 20 years. My dad, who never cries, started crying then. None of us have ever remembered seeing him cry, except at his oldest son's funeral (which I wasn't born for).

Five months later he's diagnosed with lung cancer.

He's lived to see the only grandson born to his youngest son that will carry the family name born. He lived to his 76th birthday. He survived the Korean War.

And then you look at this "famous" star Jade Goody who died due to cervical cancer and all the praise and farewell remembrances she's getting, and I have to go "Where's the praise and honor my father, who has touched more lives than her being a Coach, a vice principal and principal for more than 40 years?" We already know its going to be a huge funeral. And that's going to be even harder.

But at the same time, local folks where they live have been honoring him. Several local restaurant owners (you know the mom and pop type ones) where Dad would go and have regular meals with my mom each week have not allowed him to pay for their meals as a "thank you" to him. Close friends are starting to do the same thing. My dad has also decided that in lieu of flowers when it comes for his funeral, he wants donations to be made to the young lady who is doing his hospice care and is starting her own business. He wants to help her out even tho he's dying.

There are many days when I reflect like this, that I pray that I can be half the person he was and is.

All that emotional heart pouring aside, I figured I'd share a pic of him and why I admire him so much. This was taken at his birthday party last year.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can see the love and kindness in his eyes. :( I'm here for you Cassie if you need me.

L

Lady Tiger

Hugs Cassie..if you need anyone to yell at i'm there for you...i've been there knowing my brother was passing away and before then my mom...and the waiting is the hardest thing to do. Death is never easy for the person dying and the person watching. :(

L

Lady Vivian

Cassie, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this time of sadness and sorrow. I've been there and know what you are going through. Any assistance I can provide I will willingly do.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take one day at a time, Cassie. I will be praying for your dad, you, and your family. I know you will miss him. I miss my parents alot.

Maelwyn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to hear Cassie.

I lost my father-in-law a few years ago. I think the hardest thing was he was the glue that held my wife's side of the family together. They used to get together pretty often with him, but not much anymore unfortunately.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cassie,

At a time like this there are no adequate words. Just know that you and your family are in the thoughts and prayers of many ... including myself.

F

Frey Wavestrider

My prayers are with you as are the brats, remember all the good times and the wisdom he has given you, honour him daily by doing the best you can

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, right now, despite dad saying "no" then saying "Well whatever you and your mom decide" I'm going down for a weekend April 24, 25, 26, 27.

C

Crystal Canyon

Well, right now, despite dad saying "no" then saying "Well whatever you and your mom decide" I'm going down for a weekend April 24, 25, 26, 27.
Cassie, take care traveling and we will all be thinking about you while your away.

It sounds like your dad really wants you there, but he had to say "no" to begin with just because men can be soooooo hard headed at times...lol

Enjoy your time together.You will be so glad you went.

My prayers are with you, hun. See you when you return.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Cassie,

My family went through something similar last November. Best wishes to you and your family.

Nok

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so sorry to hear about your dad, Cassie. he looks like SUCH a nice man in the picture you posted, a genuine and caring person. it sucks that it's the nice people who do anything they can to help others are the ones taken from us way too early. my thoughts are with you, i'm glad you're going down to see him for a long weekend.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cassie,

As much as I have been able to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, I'll be putting in an extra measure of effort for this time of fellowship.

Safe travels, grace not of this world, a lasting peace, and joy, when you can find it, please be blessed by all of these things.

Thanks so much for putting yourself out there for so many. You are a blessing in ways large and small to all whom you have touched.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers folks, it's greatly appreciated.

When he and I last talked and he said for me not to waste my time or money coming down there just to be there for the funeral, and how he sounded, it hit me pretty hard that there would be very few times to hear his voice or talk to him before he dies. I realized then, no matter what he was saying, that I would go down and see him. And I'm glad that I have family that are supporting me in it and helping me get down there.

I'm taking my camera so I'll have some pics to share when I get back too.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dad passed April 24 at 5:15 p.m. Funeral is today.

He had a few good very congnizent moments on Monday through Wednesday. I got my butt chewed out for being awake at midnight Monday night and told him "I was waiting for you to wake up so I could say hi and I was here." He just grinned and laughed and told me I should get some sleep, but he was awake now.

He was cracking jokes till he fell asleep Wednesday. He never really woke up after that. It was a very peaceful passing.

He's definitely going to be missed.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cassie I truly don't have words. I am very very glad for you that you could be there, and that you had a chance to see, touch and speak with him.

You are not alone. May you find unexpected blessings.

I'd hug you for real if I could.

C

Crystal Canyon

Im really sorry to hear of your loss, Cassie. It is a blessing that you did get to spend time your Dad though.

We all know your a real tough cookie, but if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me. Im sure as you can see, there are a lot of people here who will be there for you also.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im really sorry to hear of your loss, Cassie. It is a blessing that you did get to spend time your Dad though.

We all know your a real tough cookie, but if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me. Im sure as you can see, there are a lot of people here who will be there for you also.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
mine too Cassie. I am sorry for your loss.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts are with your family Cassie. If you need anything I can assist with please let me know.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks folks. It's greatly appreciated. At least my stress levels have declined wtih everything heh.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks folks. It's greatly appreciated. At least my stress levels have declined wtih everything heh.
Please take some time to greive. Don't move to fast to get back to to life. Cry alot . Take care and once again sorry for your loss. It is a good time to be with your family.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Cassie, My thoughts and prayers have been with you since the start. I'm glad you got to see him though.

*hugs and prayers to you*

F

Flora Green

You and your family continue to be in my thoughts, Cassie. So very sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to see him. *hugs*