• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For the Devs, Designers and "Global Planners" of UO

D

DHMagicMan_1

Based on some of the recent content, it would appear that some or all of the current content builders like the idea of intermixing the content of Tram ruleset players with predomently Fel ruleset players.

As someone who played when the game originally released with only a single land, I've come and gone several times through the 11 year history of UO. I've seen some major changes that I've really appreciated, like creating Tram Ruleset in the first place, and I've seen some changes that I've really been disappointed with, like reducing all accounts to a single house (well not forcing the reduction but grandfathering etc)...

Anyway, It seems to me that UO has two very passionate and very distinct audiences... those who primarily PvM and those who primarily PvP...

The recent development updates such as Tram invasions based on Faction activities in Fel, along with Fel players obvious ability and intention to destroy the Halloween quest in Tram forcing players into Fel seems to show that the developers really want "us" all to play together as one big happy family.

Is there a "Development Policy" or "Guideline"... some sort of "Plan" you guys have in mind as to how you want UO to grow over the next 1 to 3 to 5 years? I know you are coming out with SA with yet more Tram Land Mass, yet more buildable land (God knows why)... but can someone tell my why the updates and activities seem to be forcing Tram into playing on Fel ruleset? Is that part of a "Master Plan"?

IMHO, the best part of UO is that it's not "Level Based" and every character can learn any of the skills up to the total skill cap. We have complete flexibility to be a absolute crafter with no fighting skills at all if we want and enjoy that aspect of the game. Tramies enjoy our world and I know Fel's wouldn't enjoy us forcing them to accept Tram rulesets for this patch or that event... I don't understand why this is happening and I'm hoping someone with a "Mile High" view can explain an overall picture of where UO is going in the next say 1 to 3 years...

Thanks.

C

CatLord

Hum... based on the latest book that made my mind spin... (game of thrones, etc)

Isnt the best to be completely surprised by our Devs?
Why make plans or try to see the big picture when we lack all the information?

This is what I have noticed...
- valuable items losing their worth...
- pvp gear easy to find...
- team work being encouraged...
- duped items going down the drain...
- known scripts being countered...
- UO is FUN again and we're still getting close to what the Devs have in store for us!

(A bad example: when you went and saw StarWars episode IV, you never asked to be sent a complete report of the rest of the plot...)

And a request... can you explain how grand fathered houses work?
Thank you!

R

RavenWinterHawk

Based on some of the recent content, it would appear that some or all of the current content builders like the idea of intermixing the content of Tram ruleset players with predomently Fel ruleset players.

As someone who played when the game originally released with only a single land, I've come and gone several times through the 11 year history of UO. I've seen some major changes that I've really appreciated, like creating Tram Ruleset in the first place, and I've seen some changes that I've really been disappointed with, like reducing all accounts to a single house (well not forcing the reduction but grandfathering etc)...

Anyway, It seems to me that UO has two very passionate and very distinct audiences... those who primarily PvM and those who primarily PvP...

The recent development updates such as Tram invasions based on Faction activities in Fel, along with Fel players obvious ability and intention to destroy the Halloween quest in Tram forcing players into Fel seems to show that the developers really want "us" all to play together as one big happy family.

Is there a "Development Policy" or "Guideline"... some sort of "Plan" you guys have in mind as to how you want UO to grow over the next 1 to 3 to 5 years? I know you are coming out with SA with yet more Tram Land Mass, yet more buildable land (God knows why)... but can someone tell my why the updates and activities seem to be forcing Tram into playing on Fel ruleset? Is that part of a "Master Plan"?

IMHO, the best part of UO is that it's not "Level Based" and every character can learn any of the skills up to the total skill cap. We have complete flexibility to be a absolute crafter with no fighting skills at all if we want and enjoy that aspect of the game. Tramies enjoy our world and I know Fel's wouldn't enjoy us forcing them to accept Tram rulesets for this patch or that event... I don't understand why this is happening and I'm hoping someone with a "Mile High" view can explain an overall picture of where UO is going in the next say 1 to 3 years...

Thanks.
Your missing the point there are 3 audiences.
Maybe 4 or 5.

Too quickly we split things into halves.
You aren't be forced to do anything.

UO is everything. That is a player can do what he or she likes without being forced.

You dont create content for only 2 percieved sides PvP or PvM. You create content for the principle of the game.

Thats what I see them doing. They are creating for the game experience. A player can select.

For me if you want to argue 2 sides. I would add a third.
PvP Fel, PvM Tram, PvP and PvM (no insurance) in a third land.

Very often when something new comes in game, people complain they are forced to do something to get it. (Not saying you, I see your point)

There is nothing in this game you need to play.
But 13 bucks, internet, and a computer.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Game of Thrones is a great book and indeed the Song of Ice and Fire series is a great series. I can't wait for the next book to come out.

Grandfathered houses were for those old UO Players who had more than one house per account. Rather than stripping them of houses (which wouldn't have gone over well), they grandfathered them which means the players can maintain ownership of them on their current accounts. Now if they were to trade or demolish them, they wouldn't be able to add additional houses to their account. I also think that were they to place another house, their old grandfathered houses would be condemned.

D

DHMagicMan_1

For people who don't understand what I was asking... A "Mile High View" is basically asking what the philosophy of where they see the game going over time. I'm not asking any devs to spoil any fun or tell anyone what's coming in Pub 57 or what happens after such gets beaten etc...

Basically, is the philosophy of the "people in charge" that we need to get more people playing in Fel because it's a vast wasteland and the PvP'rs are bored, so I want to see Events and Storylines etc where Players from other areas are brought into Fel in one way or another...

A different overall philosophy they could have is "I want to see growth for each aspect of our audience. Let's make sure Fels have new content as well as Trams and Crafters etc..."...

I'm just curious what "THEY" are aiming for.