• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Font Help

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been trying to find a couple of the fonts used in legacy client and I have not had much luck. Does anyone know the names of these 3 fonts and/or where to get a hold of them? I was unable to find a way to export them from InsideUO. I'd like to incorporate them into the KR UI if they can be found.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can export them from InsideUO - it's really not hard. I mean, I think I can see the button you need to press in the screenshot you just gave!

You just have to type the text you want into the text box, then click one of those buttons with letters on it - you can change the colour of the text too but it's not particularly accurate so I usually leave it grey and colour the text in Photoshop.

It should let you save it as a bmp.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The thing is that we need them saved as an actual FONT file, not a BMP or other graphic-based file.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried looking a long time ago but it appears these were custom fonts made for UO. Someone would have to take the time to save each image from InsideUO and then make a font file out of them.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually it really wouldn't be difficult to make a custom font file from UO's fonts. It wouldn't be quite the way you imagine it though because fonts can only be black and white, you can't have shades of grey, so the traditional UO text font would have to come in "outline" and "solid" forms, and you'd have to fill in the gaps manually if you wanted coloured text.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually it really wouldn't be difficult to make a custom font file from UO's fonts. It wouldn't be quite the way you imagine it though because fonts can only be black and white, you can't have shades of grey, so the traditional UO text font would have to come in "outline" and "solid" forms, and you'd have to fill in the gaps manually if you wanted coloured text.
It shouldn't be too difficult, I agree. I don't have the right tools to create TTF fonts however, so that's why I am asking for help to find these.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It shouldn't be too difficult, I agree. I don't have the right tools to create TTF fonts however, so that's why I am asking for help to find these.
Let me see what I can do for you Zym. I am always looking for something new to fiddle with and this may be an interesting new project for a few minutes.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I extracted the font from the mul file and cleaned it in photoshop then moved to Font Creator 5.5 and that is where I ran into problems. When you import the character images into the tool you just cannot get them to look the way they should.

There are just way to many variables in it to get the proper results and what you end up with is a very butchered version of what you wanted. The tools for working with fonts badly distort the characters even when you tell it make an exact copy.

I think a lot of the problem is the conversion between a fixed pixel character to a scalable font. From what I can tell fonts are vector based when inside of the TTF file which is why a pixel image distorts so badly. You are actually tracing and re rendering a bitmap which is a raster type image to a vector copy which is produced using math vs pixels. I have tried converting bitmap to vector many many times and it never seems to work out very well though I may simply lack the knowledge to properly convert without any distortion.

Well I'm out of ideas anyone else want to take a stab?

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow that stinks, I was looking forward to using these fonts also :sad3:

L

Lily

I extracted the font from the mul file and cleaned it in photoshop then moved to Font Creator 5.5 and that is where I ran into problems. When you import the character images into the tool you just cannot get them to look the way they should.

There are just way to many variables in it to get the proper results and what you end up with is a very butchered version of what you wanted. The tools for working with fonts badly distort the characters even when you tell it make an exact copy.

I think a lot of the problem is the conversion between a fixed pixel character to a scalable font. From what I can tell fonts are vector based when inside of the TTF file which is why a pixel image distorts so badly. You are actually tracing and re rendering a bitmap which is a raster type image to a vector copy which is produced using math vs pixels. I have tried converting bitmap to vector many many times and it never seems to work out very well though I may simply lack the knowledge to properly convert without any distortion.

Well I'm out of ideas anyone else want to take a stab?

Fonts are definitely vector based. I'm not sure what type of artwork you are starting off with but Live Trace in Illustrator might do what you want. If you need help I can try and walk you through the process. The biggest issue will probably be smoothness, especially if you don't have experience drawing with vectors...

Lily

Ferrut

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there!

I had a little look into this, in an attempt to find out which interesting characters you can use in the 2D client with unicode...

Unfortunately I could not get anything concrete, other than trial an error.

However, what might be of use to you:

There is a TTF font someone created a long while ago called "Oltima Unline".

I cannot currently find any links to it on google, but I managed to find a copy at the time.

If you are interested, maybe PM me an email address and I can mail it to you maybe?? As I have no hosting at the moment... could always stick it somewhere instead if that's preferable?

Having said all that, I'm not entirely sure of the legality of it!?! It is 'only a font' but then again... the original is probably copyright..... so I dunno!?

:eek: