• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FOF: Failure of explorability

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RavenWinterHawk

I was hoping this question good get answered.

How is dynamic spawning of monsters, events, and encounters going to be addressed in the future. That is when is the game going progress random encounters. Why is it hard to add to the game an aspect of walking north and finding new stuff? Visiting a dungeon and new tunnel temporarily opens.

Just wondering.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are already "dynamic" systems in UO but they could be expanded upon. The blood tile spawning camp comes to mind. I have seen it spawn only once in game and it was one of my more exciting non-PvP experience in UO.

The best part about such things is not the actual camp but the rumors and stories it creates; "In T2A there is a tower spawn that only lasts for few minutes, at top of which you can get a blood tile." It adds an element of surprise and adventure to the lands. At the same time, overdoing it like you have suggested in your other threads would make it rather generic and boring.

R

RavenWinterHawk

There are already "dynamic" systems in UO but they could be expanded upon. The blood tile spawning camp comes to mind. I have seen it spawn only once in game and it was one of my more exciting non-PvP experience in UO.

The best part about such things is not the actual camp but the rumors and stories it creates; "In T2A there is a tower spawn that only lasts for few minutes, at top of which you can get a blood tile." It adds an element of surprise and adventure to the lands. At the same time, overdoing it like you have suggested in your other threads would make it rather generic and boring.
Perfect example. I ran across one when I moved to origin. It was fun and exciting.

Problem now:

Event, step by step instructions, camped, over saturated.

Champ spawn, same.

Creating something that cant be timed, cant be camped, and isnt a chain event thing... would be good.

Here is one thought. For instance the suits the generals drop. Why not add something simple. The armors can be smelted and retain their color. The leather armor can be cut and resewn.

Its not much but it would allow a dynamic use of the materials.

S

Sarphus

It would be cool to have sections of dungeons where the map is static, but the content is not. I think it's difficult technically to build a random-gen map for UO, but you can random-gen aspects of the map (like the traps on champ spawns).

I've been playing a lot of nethack recently. I have been enjoying how you never have 2 games that are the same and you never know initially whether an item is cursed or a box is trapped and so on. The maps are completely random-gen with hidden stuff in them.

I think a lot of the mechanics found in UO could be orchestrated in a way to create a more interesting game experience, but there would probably need to be a lot of framework development required.

A system could be added where a new type of artifacts are dropped randomly when players kill monsters in certain areas. These artifacts would need to be identified to verify they aren't cursed before equipping them. A cursed item could do things like prevent the player from unequipping the item, render cursed by some effect for a certain number of play hours (depending on the power of the curse) even after the item is removed through death, or make the item cost the player gold over time or drain more gold for insurance. Since "cursed" and "blessed" already mean something different in UO, items cursed in this way could use the term "hexed". Hexes could be removed by an appropriately leveled artificer (possibly requiring chiv skill as well or "holy ingredients").

A system could be added where powerful traps randomly spawn on doors, switches, etc. These traps could do all the things that traps can already do as well as potentially curse you (see curse system described above).

Sections of dungeons could have dynamic spawns that change based on how many people are in the area.

Sections of dungeons could have powerful spawns that don't respawn very fast to encourage players to battle their way through the area and discourage them from farming specific monsters. Also, some monsters could be made to not respawn till other monsters are killed to reduce cherry picking. If a monster has been spawned for a while and no one has touched it, it could teleport to another spawn area to prevent issues where monsters spawn in invalid locations. There could be instance-like quest areas where players are sent on quests and so on.

Like any good thing, there's always room for improvement.

S

Sarphus

Perfect example. I ran across one when I moved to origin. It was fun and exciting.

Problem now:

Event, step by step instructions, camped, over saturated.

Champ spawn, same.

Creating something that cant be timed, cant be camped, and isnt a chain event thing... would be good.

Here is one thought. For instance the suits the generals drop. Why not add something simple. The armors can be smelted and retain their color. The leather armor can be cut and resewn.

Its not much but it would allow a dynamic use of the materials.
If you want a suit in those colors, you could save the armor and imbue it later probably.

R

RavenWinterHawk

If you want a suit in those colors, you could save the armor and imbue it later probably.
Yep, lots of armor taking up my house spaces now.

I was thinking it be cool to make weapons, lanterns, silverware and all that kind of stuff.

A harmless game additon.

K

Kensai Tsunami

the armor and weps that drop from the shadow army forces are made out of a 'special material' already, so its doubtful we will be able to do anything with it at this point. hopefully they will change that b4 imbuing goes live. i'm not gonna get my hopes up tho. hell ...they cant even fix the lag or let us know what is going on with a variety of issues currently. I MISS JEREMY! at least she had enuf snap to give us info even if it was to say, "we are working on it".
amazing how much you miss what you thought you didnt have aye?
:(

R

RavenWinterHawk

the armor and weps that drop from the shadow army forces are made out of a 'special material' already, so its doubtful we will be able to do anything with it at this point. hopefully they will change that b4 imbuing goes live. i'm not gonna get my hopes up tho. hell ...they cant even fix the lag or let us know what is going on with a variety of issues currently. I MISS JEREMY! at least she had enuf snap to give us info even if it was to say, "we are working on it".
amazing how much you miss what you thought you didnt have aye?
:(
how are they special?

K

Kensai Tsunami

dunno ...i tried enhancing both the weps and the armor and it wouldnt let me.
said 'this item is already enhanced with a special property'
or something to that effect
needless to say i was pretty disappointed

S

Sarphus

Yeah, if the armor says it's already enhanced, you can't imbue it.

I wonder if the armor gives special mods to people in factoins.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you mean like overland spawn higher than gargoyles? magic item quests? rescue missions posted on tavern messageboards? question is where did they go.