• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Focus Skill

P

Parsifal

Is this skill really necessary in a Mage, Pally, or Tamer template? What abilities come with the skill?

It seems like a waste to me. Any thoughts?:eyes:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to pick Focus over Meditation when it is a choice of one or the other.

Using the Meditation (?) calculator, the difference between Focus and Meditation are not all that great (in the context of a non pure mana hog). You get the Stamina Refresh boost which always helps when one is running from Greater Dragons etc.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So focus could work in place of meditation for a mage? I'm a noob to the skill...

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So focus could work in place of meditation for a mage? I'm a noob to the skill...
It could, but if your going to be a mana hog, then you want Meditation and if possible Focus.

By mana hog, I mean if your living and dieing by the spells you cast OR if you find yourself constantly out of mana.

Me being a Tamer+Bard(Peace)+Mage, I am not all that demanding on my mana, so the few skill points I have left are in Focus.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info Enigma. May I ask how your tamer temp is set up? I have a similar character set up and am at wits end on how to proceed. Thanks. :confused:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Animal Taming 119.0 (going to 120) with +27 Taming in Jewelry
Animal Lore 115
Veterinary 110

Musicianship 115
Peacemaking 120

Magery 100

Hiding 48 - Will be converted to Focus in exactly 10 days when Taming is 120.0

I expect to get to 38 Focus When all is said and done. I may raise Lore and Veterinary to 120 for the extra Stable Slots.

If I do that then I probably will raise Magery as high as I can (probably under 115) to enhance the defensive nature of my Swords of Prosperity.

I killed a lot of Ogre Lords and now White Wyrms to raise Honor (and Fame and Gold).

I peace tame everything that isnt a Greater Dragon. I use bardic instruments with either Reptile or Dragon Slayer modification as it gives a +15% chance to work. I use exceptional instruments for everything else for the +10% chance to work.

For Greater Dragons I honor Tame. In the 5 minute down time I will attempt to Peace tame.

I eat Orange petals prior to attempting to tame a Greater Dragon.

P

Parsifal

Eginma, thanks for the info on this skill and the template.

I read the Stratics article on focus and have cut and pasted it here for quick reference.

If I understand this correctly, for a mage it looks like it would be benifical to have at least 20 skill points in focus to take advantage of the mana and stamina regen, this would be in addition to the 100 points in the med skill.

For a pally, no med skill is needed just 20 in focus?:D, or should a warrior or pally have 100 for the max gains?

I am more confused now after I read this article....lol:confused:

This is the article from Stratics:

Battle Focus skill could be defined as the "Warrior's Meditation Skill." It increases both a player's Mana and Stamina regeneration. Since a warrior's swing rate is determined by the amount of stamina he has, the ability to increase the regeneration of that attribute would be highly beneficial on the battlefield. Mana, too, is an important stat to any warrior that uses special combat moves as part of his tactics.
Hit Points, Stamina, and Mana all have stats associated with them called "10 second gains," which are set on all creatures and tell the game system how much to increase each current value by every 10 seconds. This can be seen in the way monsters regenerate their stats points over time. These stats are usually set once and never change. However, in Age of Shadows, these 10-second gains can now be increased by various skill and magic effects, like the Battle Focus skill.

For every 10 points of Battle Focus a player has, their 10 second Stamina gain is increased by 1.
For every 20 points of Battle Focus a player has, their 10 second Mana gain is increased by 1.

How to Use:
Similar to the mage's Meditation skill, Battle Focus will raise passively as you regain Stamina and Mana. You simply need to do anything that lowers your Stamina and Mana in order to increase the level of your skill.

Thank you to stratics for having this article on the web!:D

Anyone have any additional thoughts?

T

Tycolby

Forget focus waste of skills. Instead invest your skills and stats in Dex and Improving your DPS (damage Per Swing). http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/arms.php Here is the Cal for it and all the weapons you can use. Once you find the weapon type you like then find one with at Least Mana Leech on it. That will take care of Mana regen for you. If you can get one with Stam Leech on it then you got both of the regens covered. Now If you use like the Soul Seeker then you got all three Leeches covered and can work on other skills to keep you alive longer.

S

S.W.A.T

Enigma isnt 38 focus a waste, It works in 10's and 20's so 38 is 8 points that could be used somewhere else hehe, I'd suggest taking it up to 40 or bringing it down to 30

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enigma isnt 38 focus a waste, It works in 10's and 20's so 38 is 8 points that could be used somewhere else hehe, I'd suggest taking it up to 40 or bringing it down to 30
Yeah that is kind of my thinking and why I may redistribute the 38 around to bring Lore and Vet to 120 (15 points total) and get a +15 Magery Scroll or resign myself to a long GGS for 130 (13.0) skill ups in taming so I can dump the Ring (+13 Taming) I have and replace it with something that will add to my resists.

Or as your pointing out 30 to focus and 8 to magery with a +10 scroll. I just dont know how much the +8 in Magery will enhance my ability to Block attacks, with a Sword of Prosperity.

What I do know is the Hiding is border line useful as is.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Animal Taming 119.0 (going to 120) with +27 Taming in Jewelry
Animal Lore 115
Veterinary 110

Musicianship 115
Peacemaking 120

Magery 100

Hiding 48 - Will be converted to Focus in exactly 10 days when Taming is 120.0

I expect to get to 38 Focus When all is said and done. I may raise Lore and Veterinary to 120 for the extra Stable Slots.

If I do that then I probably will raise Magery as high as I can (probably under 115) to enhance the defensive nature of my Swords of Prosperity.

I killed a lot of Ogre Lords and now White Wyrms to raise Honor (and Fame and Gold).

I peace tame everything that isnt a Greater Dragon. I use bardic instruments with either Reptile or Dragon Slayer modification as it gives a +15% chance to work. I use exceptional instruments for everything else for the +10% chance to work.

For Greater Dragons I honor Tame. In the 5 minute down time I will attempt to Peace tame.

I eat Orange petals prior to attempting to tame a Greater Dragon.
Thank you, it's always nice to have help from vet players. :) I didn't even know how to use Honor until someone from UMP taught me. It's how I tame the greaters myself but during the 5 minute downtime since my peace is so low I just run and invis most of the time or lose insurance money if I get revealed. :eek:

T

T_Amon_from_work

My scribe/mage has phenominal gains with Med + Focus. Medi is 85 with +15 jewels, Focus is GM. I've never seen 165 mana refill so fast.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks T'Amon, that sounds promising. :) As soon as I get the focus up on my warrior I will transfer it to mah mage via SS. :thumbsup: