• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fix for client at 100% CPU in XP or Vista?

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC: I have two cases (1 in XP SP2 and 1 in Vista SP2 Aero turned off) where the UOSA.EXE will run at 100% and basically do nothing.

I have another case in XP SP2 where the EC runs perfectly fine. I cannot figure out why 2 are not working with that 100% and the 1 is working fine.

Has anyone figured out what is needed to make the EC work in this case?

Thanks!

C

Cloak&Dagger

I am not fully sure I understand your problem, but can I assume the 3 computers are as close to the same as possible? If not then obviously the answer is one is "better" than the other two.

What exactly do you mean by "do nothing" blank screen? or do you mean you are not performing any actions? Also a better description of the three computers might also help identify the problem.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC: I have two cases (1 in XP SP2 and 1 in Vista SP2 Aero turned off) where the UOSA.EXE will run at 100% and basically do nothing.
Thanks!
Some clarification if you would. This is only in regards to the two cases above.

By do nothing, do you mean that the Enhanced Client is, to use my words, locked up as in can not perform any useful actions.

OR

Do you mean that while at 100% usage, it does not appear the client is doing anything.

Secondly, I am assuming your getting this information from the Task Manager and it is specifically on the line in the task manager that identifies uosa.exe

Again the above is just for clarification to reduce the opportunities for making bad assumptions.

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. More information - All three are VMWare virtual machines so they have identical hardware. 1 works in XP SP2, 1 does not work in XP SP2, and 1 does not work in Vista SP1.

Yes, by 100% CPU usage the uosa.exe client is taking 100% of the CPU (in task manager) and not loading the enhanced client screen at all.

I did some research and back in July 2009 this was a problem that a patch to the enhanced client fixed, but that does not help as my client is 100% patched to the latest enhanced client version.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. More information - All three are VMWare virtual machines so they have identical hardware. 1 works in XP SP2, 1 does not work in XP SP2, and 1 does not work in Vista SP1.

Yes, by 100% CPU usage the uosa.exe client is taking 100% of the CPU (in task manager) and not loading the enhanced client screen at all.

I did some research and back in July 2009 this was a problem that a patch to the enhanced client fixed, but that does not help as my client is 100% patched to the latest enhanced client version.
Ah well if they are all VMWare then that helps.

If I had to make a guess, some process is getting stuck trying to initialize (may be waiting on some system process that is stuck).

On the XP SP2 vm's, I am going to ask if they are identical and I expect you to say yes.

I will then ask, if by chance, is the non working VM a clone of the working one.

Are all three working on one real machine or are there multiple real machines involved.

If they are all on one Real Machine, have you ever tried running just one VM at a time? The point is, if for some configuration reason, VM's networking drivers may (not that I really believe this) be blocking or misdirecting the network traffic. If they are all on separate machines then this should not be the case.

I would expect all three of the VM's to be pretty much basic oob installations, with very little opportunities to cause this issue. Have you asked on VMWares forums what may be causing the issue?

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Vista is a new installed VM. One of the XP SP2 was from when I was using it with MS Office with Project and Visio (this one works with UO SA EC). The other XP SP2 is a new installed VM. None of them are cloned from one or the other.

Vista VM - I thought maybe the Direct X was not installed correctly so I installed UO KR, Once this was finished installing that version of Direct X did not help.

Really the only one that is working has Office on it, so that is my next step. I will install Office on the Vista VM and see if that makes UO SA EC work.

All of the VMs are on 1 PC. Only 1 VM was running at a time too.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my experience all of them should have been working together with no issues.

*Shrug*

So I am not sure why they are not all just working as expected.

The DirectX was on my list but I assume you have resolved that out. I would probably just run the dxdiag from the run menu and check the version for something weird to show up.

The other thing is the network, one quick test would be to have multiple Explorer/Firefox running and accessing the network, well as in one running in each VM at the same time.

A long shot is you may want to check the sound interface on the two that do not work and see if there is one and does it actually work.

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fixed. I installed 1 more XP VM and it is working. I deleted the other 3 VMs.

Thanks for your suggestions Enigma and cloak! :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah well Congratulations, all is well that ends well.

My experience with VMWare is it is a very solid set of software.