• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Price Check] Fishing Weight

O

olduofan

are those the false rares ? also the tree ornaments as well ?

just asking I am not implying it ...

I have one is why I'm asking and always thought or was lead to believe it was a "bugged item"

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gosh, I hope not. I have had it since about 2004-ish. Just ran across it when I reopened an old acct.

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would say 1 million tops.
I've seen them being sold for more, but they usually just sit on vendors without any buyers.

These came from around the time when the plant system and seeds were first introduced.

They were made around the same time as the orange petals, red leaves, and green thorns were made into orange feathers, red birds, and green arrows by a bug.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are those the false rares ? also the tree ornaments as well ?

just asking I am not implying it ...

I have one is why I'm asking and always thought or was lead to believe it was a "bugged item"
are tree ornament jewelery false rares too??? i guess im happy i didnt buy them at the last rares meet fo 2.5 each.....god its hard to know whats rare and whats just a side kick...kinda gues the fish weight were seeds from time that red leaves became birds etc etc

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
tree ornament jewelry is a real rare.
I agree with you on that.

I sometimes wonder what people's criteria for a so-called false rare is.

An example of a false rare to me would be (or should I say would have been a couple years ago) is "a bottle of water" where you could buy an ale from a tavernkeeper, double click it, and target a magic wave to fill it with water and try to sell it as a rare.

A rare item in general, to me, is an item that has either one or more of these characteristics:
they're no longer obtainable, no longer spawns, only a small amount still remain, they're given out in minimum quantities, or is they're extremely difficult to get.

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ty for the infomation. I didn't know about the plant seed bug.

It's pretty cool though that the names on these items came out like they did. Someone put some thought into it. So, does it mean someone illegally renamed these items long ago? I'm trying to understand how it was a bug.

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
When UO first came out, there were no such thing as seeds or a plant system.

There were, and still are, fishing weights which are usually located inside an npc fisherman's guild or a shipwright. They use the same graphic as a seed. Actually, it's the seed that uses the same graphic as the fishing weight. The fishing weight came first.

Stop by an npc fisherman's guild, and you'll probably even see a fishing weight on display.

Now, when the plant system was first introduced, the developers and/or artists took the fishing weight graphic and decided to use that as a seed graphic. All they have to do is change a few codes here and there, add a couple new lines of codes, and now you've got a new item: a seed.

It's pretty commonplace in UO to re-use graphics either by re-naming them, re-coloring them, or both.

Sometime in the past, someone either found a loophole in the system, used an exploit, or took advantage of a bug that was able to convert a real, plantable seed into a genuine fishing weight which serves no purpose except for displaying.
The seed isn't just re-named, the server actually re-coded it to its original graphic of a fishing weight.

I don't know how or when it was done. It could have been something simple such as selling a seed to an npc fisherman and buying it back from them, trasforming it into a fishing weight in the process.
Needless to say, the method used to create the fishing weight was never intended, and it was fixed a long time ago.
That, in turn, makes it a bug and a rare item, even if it isn't highly sought after.

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very interesting. I don't know anything about UO coding, but I used to run a MOO (descendant of a MUD or MUCK)... a 1st generation text-based MMORPG from the early 1990s. So the fishing weight is like a parent object. I can understand how it happened in that frame of reference.

Thx, Plant Ele!

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Up until about two months ago, the bug to create fishing weights (in all seed colors) was still active. It was only recently fixed. Prior to that it was a different bug that gave the same end result and was also responsible for red birds, blue apples, green arrows and orange feathers originally. I'd honestly say while they can't be made anymore to the best of my knowledge there are A LOT of them out there. I'd say a maximum of 100-200k or so. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the original "real" ones from the mass produced ones.. much like Pumice... they have had their value severely damaged by the bugs that literally were allowed to go on for years.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a thread I did awhile back on the rares forum about these items.
http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-rares-collector/216457-exploit-items.html

I have long since deleted the pictures off my server, but the named list is still there. To the best of my knowledge the method used to create these was fixed a couple of months ago, but due to the simplicity of the method, and in most cases, the minute cost, the items are probably out there in bulk. While I agree from a decorator's standpoint or the fact they appear to be no longer creatable they do hold some value, I would seriously advise against paying much for them. Be safe everyone.

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assia, much thx. I read your link and have asked that it be made sticky.