• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fishing-Thunting-Stealing template advice

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So after 4 years I came back to UO, the addiction was just too strong :p

Anyway before leaving I was planning on making 2 new characters, one for stealing arties and one for T-hunting or at least fishing treasures.

But thinking about it a bit more I wonder if I couldn't combine both in away ?

Stealing 120
Stealth 100
Hiding 100
Detect Hidden 100
Lockpicking 100
Fishing/cartography 120/100 (swapping with soulstones when needed)
Magery 100 with jewels

If I plan to sneak around without doing any fighting is that a viable option ?

From what I read on the crime forum it should be ok for arties stealing in dungeons thought if someone here has an opinion on that I'm all hears.

My questions were more T-hunting/fishing related :
with another character (alt tamer or a guildie/friend when I get one of those) to do the fighting can my fisherman/t-hunter just fish/dig the treasure and then hide and stealth away ?

Also can you just grab the chests that you have dug out and open them later like you can with chests you fish or do you have to open them on the spot and get the contents ?

And the last one :p
With my alt in progress disco tamer : atm GM taming lore vet 59 disco 100 music 85 magery with a decent rune beetle/mare or bake combo to go on the boat, can I manage what will spawn with a mib ? (not an ancient SOS of course )
And what about fishing nets ? are there some I can handle ?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You cannot pickup chests from a treasure map, you have to loot it. You won't be able to pick the lock and open it until the original guardians have been killed and others will spawn as you loot the chest. A friend or alt can kill the original guardians and then you can pick the lock and open it up. If you are on an alt, as long as you are partied, your alt can loot items once it has been opened and they can deal with guardians that spawn as they loot.

MIB's can easily be done with gm magery and gm eval, even better if using a reptile slayer or snake slayer spellbook. You can pretty much two-shot them regular sea serpents and only one or two more ebolts to take out the deep sea serpents.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your answer :)

So as I lost lockpicking on a soulstone during my time away I'm better off doing fishing mibs while I get it back up as I can store the chests I get.
And if a GM mage is enough a beetle/mare should do the trick just as well.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A pair of bonded vollums make a great addition to this kind of template. They require no taming skill to control and are roughly the equivalent of two nightmares. Set them to guard you while you fish both on a boat and in dungeons. If you are carful about where you mark your dungeon fishing spots they will be more than enough protection in most places. I also find them more useful than EV for low level treasure maps. Of course you will still need some extra help for higher level maps, but still the vollums add some extra firepower to whatever helper you have.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A pair of bonded vollums make a great addition to this kind of template. They require no taming skill to control and are roughly the equivalent of two nightmares. Set them to guard you while you fish both on a boat and in dungeons. If you are carful about where you mark your dungeon fishing spots they will be more than enough protection in most places. I also find them more useful than EV for low level treasure maps. Of course you will still need some extra help for higher level maps, but still the vollums add some extra firepower to whatever helper you have.
Thank you that's great advice :D
I had completely forgotten about vollums. I was contemplating using a golem (I have a GM tinker and 2 golems already) but you can only have one and they don't do any ranged damage so on aboat against mobs in the sea ...
Of course now I have to figure out how to get a pair of vollums but that'll give me something to work for

In the meantime I managed to get my hiding to almost 91, lockpicking 85 and stealth to 76.5 or so : ready to go on a sea adventure

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you that's great advice :D
I had completely forgotten about vollums. I was contemplating using a golem (I have a GM tinker and 2 golems already) but you can only have one and they don't do any ranged damage so on aboat against mobs in the sea ...
Of course now I have to figure out how to get a pair of vollums but that'll give me something to work for

In the meantime I managed to get my hiding to almost 91, lockpicking 85 and stealth to 76.5 or so : ready to go on a sea adventure
Vollums can be gotten from the cleanup officer for 500k points. Not sure if you can get them through the new ingame store.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vollums can be gotten from the cleanup officer for 500k points. Not sure if you can get them through the new ingame store.
Oh well I have around 9k points atm ... so as I said something to works towards !

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A maybe silly question : what race would be best for this character ?
Like elves can carry less but they have night sight (pretty useful in dungeons) and get more special resources (more scales and the like when fishing), and the passive detect hidden, can that be useful as well ?
But on the other hand humans can carry more (more loot !) and get more resources ... but does that apply to fishing thought ?
And gargoyles as this character cannot ride anyway ... but what would be the advantages ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Elves have nothing but negatives for fishing and T-hunting, IMO.

Nobody in their right mind would want MORE Delicate Scales, and the human gets 10% more leather when skinning the sea serpents (and a Harvester's Blade adds to this and to getting the sea serpent scales - in fact, 10-leather creatures give 13 (a 30% increase) when a human uses a HB). Night Sight is as easy as a pair of earrings for humans. The carry ability far outweighs everything else. As for fishing longer in a spot, most places you can fish will have access to more than one resource square, and will reset by the time you get back to the first one (often you can park a boat to get to 4-6 resource squares, maybe 8 with a Britannian ship)

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the great advice, human it is then :) I had completely forgotten he earrings for night sight but now that you mention it ... :D

Thought to be honest I have atm 3 scales only , lost all my stuff in IDOC 4 years ago, but I can always have an elven GM fisher on a secondary account, GM is not that hard it's getting the 120 scroll that is a pain.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I typically get 3 or more delicate scales each fishing trip. And, I think I've used them as an imbuing ingredient once in 4 years. I have like 50 at home, and I used to have several hundred until real life intervened and I barely played for almost 3 years, and I lost a stack of hundreds when my Tokuno ship sank.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another maybe silly question : does dex have any use with this template ?

From what I understand dex is for stam, Swing speed on weapons and healing (with bandages) but even thought it would be logical that dex = easier time picking pockets or lockpicking I see nothing that indicates that it's the case inagme.
Plus I won't be running anywhere , hitting anything or using bandies so how much stam do I really need on this char ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think Dex has had any effect on these skills for about 15 years. Back in the day where you got "bonus skill points" for the skills' associated stats, it did, but that was well before my time, and I've been playing 13.5 years

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok perfect so I can keep stam to 10 and have all the HP and Mana I need :D

Thanks again for your help !