• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing resurrection

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I'm out for a spot of fishing and pull up a sea serpent. No problem. Except my Enhanced Client thinks that's all a bit too exciting and crashes in panic. Sigh. Then I can't connect to the patcher for ages, eventually pick up a patch, log back in after several minutes, to a little bone pile on deck and a grey ambience.

OK, I've never met this problem before, so a couple of questions.
1) I thought boats were pseudo-homes, so if I logged out on one (or crash-logout) it would be instant, and the serpent wouldn't chew me? Or is this overuled by the battle-delay (even though I'm technically at 'peace')?
2) Now I'm dead on a boat, out of range of land. Is the 'Help! I'm stuck!' button really my only option here (without Spellweaving or Sacrifice)? That seems a little .. harsh. Have I missed something obvious? I did eventually use the Help option, but it seems like overkill for something as routine as being a bit dead.

Confused.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if I remember correctly if you stand next to the tiller man you can still move the boat!

Thimblepixie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooo, spooky haunted tillerman. Cool, I'll give it a go next time I get myself dead. Ta muchly.

L

Lord Drakelord

Something I do is take the spare key from my bank box and lock it down so if I needed rescuing they could recall in off my key at home.

Place it in a box set to friends only

J

Jack Tallow

Ah, the joys of fishing.....

A few pointers for ya, scurvy-pants.....

A- The boat isn't a home, you'll sit there for ages, bein' bait for anything nasty that happens by....

2- Never take your spare key out of your bank box. If you played UO when houses had keys, you understand why. Protect your ship like it's your house.

Tres- You can steer as a ghost if you stand right next to the tillerman. This is no problem (and can actually be great fun if you can stowaway as a ghost on someone else's ship). The real problems arise when you find out a ghost can't lower the plank. Argh.

D- The best way to fix sea-sickness is the stuck command, and use the key in your bank box to reach your ship again.

B

Boogieman

You can log out on your boat, but you'll have to use the camping skill.

You can command your boat as ghost.

You can lower the plank as ghost if you are in war mode.

Thus: If you are close to land that may be the fastest way to a resurrection. If not, you are better off using 'help I'm stuck'.