• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fishing is sooo broken. Perhaps it can be fixed

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a little back story: My fisher is GM (100) I am going away for about a week so i wanted to dry dock my boat. Unfortunately, i had a bunch of fish on my boat and an order from the fish mongers that was partially filled (12/15 Black SeaBass). Unfortunately, my boat was near Moonglow(?) and i needed to deliver this crate to Britain. The plan was to sail to Britain while fishing for the 3 SeaBass (and stopping for Serpent fights).

I started with an empty hull and this is what i ended up with:

561 Gold (From Sea Serpents)
60 Horned Leather ""
48 Sea Serpent Scales ""
2 MiBs
2 Treasure Maps
1 Special Fishing Net
2 Big Fish
3 Black Seabass (of course i stopped fishing when i got the 3)
4 Shad
3 Red Drum
2 Red Snook
5 Yellowfin Tuna
7 Bluefish
5 Bonefish
3 Haddock
4 Tarpon
7 Bonito
4 Cobia
9 Captain Snook
4 Mahi Mahi
3 Red Grouper
3 Amberjack
5 Blue Grouper
1 Cape Cod
1 Brook Trout
1 Yellow Perch
2 Grey Snapper
A Mess of Small Fish (Too many to count)
You fish for a while, but fail to catch anything (Too many to count)
Footwear (Too many to count)

Now one would say that was a good take but to me, that was a complete waste of my time. First of all, i have no idea why i am still getting orders for 1 order of 15 fish when i have been doing these orders for a long time. (I just completed an order from Britain to the Floating Emporium for 3 different kinds of fish/crab/lobster and this was the order they gave me next. I have been doing orders for months and it seems to be random quantities. If my "Reputation with the fish mongers" determines this then following the trail of quests seems to hurt that reputation but whatever....I digress!

What is wrong with fishing is the fact that a skill so difficult to train has almost no reward. To complete a simple order takes tons of time/effort and what is it worth? Some bait to catch something that has already become worthless by the time you find it? Some bait to catch something you do not have the skill to catch yet? An outdated item (MiBs) that has a small chance to get you something rare but more likely a load of junk?

I take it that people complained fishers were too overpowered and you decided to nerf them. This must be why its so much easier to get a 120 imbuing power scroll instead of getting a 120 Fishing one. This is why Fishing has the worst effort/reward system. Perhaps you want to encourage community in fishing? 4 fishers in one boat may have solved my problem but I don't see what was so rare about the Yellowfin Tuna Bait i received (A fish i have already caught many times already without bait).

I will leave everything else to you. I love the High Seas and (as always) i really enjoy fishing. However, as a returning player all i see is more of the same wrapped in bacon.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fishing like the BODs has that been there done that. There just is not enough of that 1 in 10k or 1 in 25k chance rare rewards. And if there was the easy button generation would complain about their end game. Bribery system made years of grinding seem mute and most don't know if to bee mad or thankful. I would be more mad if there was no hacks and BOD Bots that had already belittled the top rewards.

Even the fish vendors that never run out of crabs and lobsters have quit restocking. Trapping now there is a pain in the ass. Now if they add rare drops to the lava and dredging hooks there might be something.

L

lit2fly

the loot from treasure map is really crap at the moment..... nothing is worth keeping

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a ledgendary fisherman and all the fish mongers give me quests of 20 fish each. Your fishing skill level + your reputaion at the fishmongers determins your quest level. I am happy with the shipwreck chest contents with the exception that there are too many scrolls in them. I don't think the bait system works properly or effectively. I did, however, reach ledgendary imbuing with the help of unraveling the contents of the chests. Overall, I am happy with Fishing with some minor irritations.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The changes that I would like to see for fishing :

1) - Baits being more meaningfull i.e. helping more towards the chances to catch rare fishes ;
2) - The hook that allows not to catch footware have considerable more charges as it appears to me that the way they are now appear to last way too short time;
3) -Have fishing skill factor in for Ancient SoSes (like 120 fishing have a better chance to get an Ancient SoS)
4) - Have separate Nets for the Leviathan and Scalis and not as it is now that one, when dropping a white net for a Leviathan can get a Scalis insted. Since they require much different parties to fight them, it would be more convenient to know it before end whether one will summon a Leviathan or a Scalis. Hence, separate nets for them....
5) - For all those fishermen who enjoy having their fish and crabs/lobsters handy for quests in their boat Hold, have the hold allow (like bank box or secures) unlimited weight in containers. As of now, with containers maxed out at 400 stones is a pain.... The Hold will still have the weight limit as of now. Only, one will be able to just use fewer containers for all fish and crabs and lobsters than how it is now.

I would also like to have an official word from the Developers that Soulstoning the fishing skill does not erase one's own reputation with the Fishmongers.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a ledgendary fisherman and all the fish mongers give me quests of 20 fish each. Your fishing skill level + your reputaion at the fishmongers determins your quest level. I am happy with the shipwreck chest contents with the exception that there are too many scrolls in them. I don't think the bait system works properly or effectively. I did, however, reach ledgendary imbuing with the help of unraveling the contents of the chests. Overall, I am happy with Fishing with some minor irritations.
120 here too and find much the same including being happy overall. I'm also back to 2-3 orders since I had to cancel a request but figure it doesn't take long at all to build it back up and collect some hooks as rewards til then :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would most certainly like to have separate nets for Scalis and the leviathan... I'd like to hunt the leviathan again but no way right now.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would most certainly like to have separate nets for Scalis and the leviathan... I'd like to hunt the leviathan again but no way right now.
You don't leave Scalis litterbugs if he spawns? Me neither *blushes*

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to thwss the net with a character from a non-HS-account to get a guaranteed leviathan from a white net.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to thwss the net with a character from a non-HS-account to get a guaranteed leviathan from a white net.
How can we get a non HS character on our boats? Or are you using a legacy boat for this?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can we get a non HS character on our boats? Or are you using a legacy boat for this?
Yes and no and no.
Using legacy boats would work. All of my fishers are on an HS enabled account, so I cant do 'Leviatans only'. Most players prefer to toss nets for a Leviathan/Scalis from a dock. Buccs, New Magincia and Zento reach deep enough into the waters. (On Buccs you have to target max range with a net to reach deep water. At Zento docks a corpse could get into a nonaccessable area under the stairs and become unlootable.) Floating Emporium should work too but might not be accessable with a non HS account. (Cannot test that.)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I'm not getting another account just so I can do that. I have FAR too many accounts already.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rather MUCH MORE prefer to have separate nets for Scalis and the Leviathan rather than having to use the work around of a non HS account.......