• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) First Champ Spawn Attempt

SpiffyBananaFoot

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After coming back to the game a few weeks ago, I realized all of my old characters are not as effective as they were when I left (bard/mage and fisher/mage were my mains). I decided to look up some more recent builds so I could try my hand at more “end game-ish” content that I never experienced when I played before.

This led me to Rabid Sniper’s (COVID Youtuber) Sampire build. My gear isn’t where I’d like it to be, but close enough, and I have the skills high enough, so I thought I’d test the build out on a vermin horde champ spawn. To be honest, it was a random decision I made when I came across the champ spawn location north of Papua, and had “close enough to try” gear. Wish I had a decent spell channeling weapon on me though.

Anyhow, I was on the third wave when a guy named Stingray paralyzed me while I was in the middle of a crowd in true Sampire fashion and I was dead pretty quick. I totally deserved that, I was sitting there in Fel, working the champ spawn like I was in a single player game. Also, unless I got something since the last time I looked, I hadn’t even come across a trans scroll yet, so I don’t think think I lost anything. TBH, it didn’t even look like Stingray checked my corpse, which was a bit rude if that was the case. At that point, I didn’t even know how to get out of the area to get ressed. That’s how unprepared I was!

Anyhow, I made it to Papua and didn’t have regs to vamp up. Poor planning again, I really need to grab an arcane robe and insure it. I decided to live life on the edge and go back to my corpse for my necro regs. That was easy enough, and it looked like the coast was clear, so I decided to live life on the edge and continue with the spawn, but while paying more attention. Pretty quickly another guy named YOYOMA comes and attacks me, and I bounce; though, in the heat of battle, and not knowing the area well, I took all sorts of wrong turns before eventually making it back to Papua safely.

So, as a returning player this raises a few questions for me. Before the questions, I should point out, I didn’t mind getting killed by Stingray or attacked by YOYO; I am surprised they didn’t wait till I was farther along to try and get more scrolls out it though, so I do wonder what their thought process was there. Fel is risk/reward and I’m cool with that.

Questions:

1. How prevalent are red attacks during champ spawns? Is it unreasonable for me to think I’ll be able to (solo or +1) complete a champ spawn now and then without getting PKd/attacked?
  2. What is the point of a red attacking early in the spawn?
  3. Any advice in general for what I am trying to do? I do have a buddy I used to play with back in the day coming back to the game as well, so I won’t always be solo.

Regards,

SBF

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I can answer #2, to see if you got buddies coming to save you