• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fire Horns & LRC

Pied Piper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone else agree that it seems odd that LRC affect chiv tithes, mage and necro regs, but not fire horns?

I mean firehorns use up tons of ash for each shot....so much so that i and others most likely never bother to mess with using them

D

Der Rock

Does anyone else agree that it seems odd that LRC affect chiv tithes, mage and necro regs, but not fire horns?

I mean firehorns use up tons of ash for each shot....so much so that i and others most likely never bother to mess with using them
and quiver uses arrows!
to bad isn´t it ? ;)

D

daisuke

this may sound like a silly question but what on earth do people use those fire horns for anyway?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally made for bards if I remember right. If you have music, peace, discord and provoke you get more damage from the (flame strike, single target) the horn provides.
Some such like that, don't know if it works right. uses a ton of ash.

F

Fink

Originally made for bards if I remember right. If you have music, peace, discord and provoke you get more damage from the (flame strike, single target) the horn provides.
Some such like that, don't know if it works right. uses a ton of ash.
It has an area effect, you can hit multiple targets with it. It uses 4 Sulphurous Ash per shot, which I don't think is excessive. Peacemaking isn't taken into consideration as it's not an attack skill, just music/provoke/discord. It has a cool-down period while you "catch your breath" between uses. It has a short range of a few tiles. The fire horn itself is found as loot on repond creatures, and is not craftable.

O

Old Man of UO

It has an area effect, you can hit multiple targets with it. It uses 4 Sulphurous Ash per shot, which I don't think is excessive. Peacemaking isn't taken into consideration as it's not an attack skill, just music/provoke/discord. It has a cool-down period while you "catch your breath" between uses. It has a short range of a few tiles. The fire horn itself is found as loot on repond creatures, and is not craftable.
I personally don't think this is a problem that they use reagents, and really as Fink says not really that much. What else are reagents used for anymore? Mages have 100% LRC and don't use them.

I WISH the fire horns would spawn with slayer properties though, otherwise they are pretty useless to me.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... I have an alchemist/bard with max'd enhance potions. *wonders how much damage he could do by tossing a greater conflagration potion into a group of beasties, using area peace to keep them there while tossing in a few greater explosion potions and using a firehorn... maybe following up with a greater confusion blast and some more greater explosion potions...*

According to Stratics Numbers....

G. Explosion Potions at GM Alchemist with 80 Enhance Potion do 72-108 damage each.
G. Conflagration Potions do 21-28 per tic.
Firehorn at 4xGM do 54-66.

Too bad my discord and provo are still only around 50. (Recently changed from peace warrior/alchemist to a full bard/alchemist.)

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sounds like a fun template!

I have been pondering starting a for-fun template that includes Alchemy. It was one of only two GM skills found on my older account...would be fun to use it in a way other than just grinding potions! :)

5% Luck

IDK about this the fire horn is a very powerful item if used in the right context. I hade my3x lrg bard in doom soloing a DF and had all the spawn taken care of. There was about 20+ mobs attacking him and i got in close and fire horned the old man and hit everything there for 90+. Those few ash i gathered from corpes neted me over 1800 damage.

It does kinda bother me to grab up some ash before i leave so i just loot it as i go instead. But to make it an always used easy to use item would require a nerf to it!

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This Fire Horn sounds pretty entertaining. I always wondered what they were for when I came across them as loot.

I would agree with others in this thread that 4 Sul. Ash doesn't seem like very much to use it (IMHO).

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This Fire Horn sounds pretty entertaining. I always wondered what they were for when I came across them as loot.

I would agree with others in this thread that 4 Sul. Ash doesn't seem like very much to use it (IMHO).
My greater explosion potions take 10 ash and a bottle to make. 4 ash seems more than reasonable to me.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrr, keep them horn contraptions away from me ship or ye'll be a-walkin' the plank!

J

Johnny Powerhead

Simple solution - go into Fire Dungeon. Everything you kill there gives you ash, and the fire steed is super easy to kill and has like 275 ash on it. It's the easiest of all reagents to acquire

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, fire horns are fun. Always have one on my bard. Made a macro connecting flamestrike and firehorn. Easy combo explo flamestrike firehorn and a finish spell and yas get some greif for cheating cause it appears you casted two flamestrikes.

F

Fink

Hmm... I have an alchemist/bard with max'd enhance potions. *wonders how much damage he could do by tossing a greater conflagration potion into a group of beasties, using area peace to keep them there while tossing in a few greater explosion potions and using a firehorn... maybe following up with a greater confusion blast and some more greater explosion potions...*

According to Stratics Numbers....

G. Explosion Potions at GM Alchemist with 80 Enhance Potion do 72-108 damage each.
G. Conflagration Potions do 21-28 per tic.
Firehorn at 4xGM do 54-66.

Too bad my discord and provo are still only around 50. (Recently changed from peace warrior/alchemist to a full bard/alchemist.)
Could you link to the source on that, please? An official source (forget which dev/rep) was quoted as saying Peacemaking doesn't factor into fire horn damage, just wondering which info is the more current.

O

Old Man of UO

Could you link to the source on that, please? An official source (forget which dev/rep) was quoted as saying Peacemaking doesn't factor into fire horn damage, just wondering which info is the more current.
It may be in error, but here is the Stratics calculator for damage from the firehorn and barding skill. IF this is still correct, Peacemaking does increase the damage. But then again, it could be wrong of has changed.... dunno. Someone test it on TC?

http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/firehorn.php

L

Lord Kynd

something needs to use tht stuff up :p
not a viable weapon anyhow in my opinion.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It may be in error, but here is the Stratics calculator for damage from the firehorn and barding skill. IF this is still correct, Peacemaking does increase the damage. But then again, it could be wrong of has changed.... dunno. Someone test it on TC?

http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/firehorn.php

This is the page I used to calculate firehorn damage. I'd be interested to know if it's not correct, although the information will not change my template. :)