• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fel Housing Safety

• Thread starter Sigfried McGreed
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sigfried McGreed

Is it safe to have a public house in Fel if your doors are secure? Are fences considered secure walls or can they be casted into? Any written guides out there on this Fel housing stuff?

Thanks for any help.

C

CallMeIshmael

A public house in fel would allow anyone to walk onto your plot. You could set door security settings, but stealthed players can easily follow you in when you open them. Poor house design can be problematic as well, even in a private home. For example, leaving out that back little corner piece in the NW can allow targeting of players inside. Fences, arches, and low walls (among others) can also allow you to be targeted. If you really want to go public I'm sure you could make it work, however. Using teleporters instead of doors would keep even stealthers out. Just be careful in your design and you can have a safe home in fel, although I usually find the requirements to be overly burdensome, for example using packies with teleporters can be a pain.

As far as a guide, don't know of one.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it safe to have a public house in Fel if your doors are secure? Are fences considered secure walls or can they be casted into? Any written guides out there on this Fel housing stuff?

Thanks for any help.

You need to be a little extra cautious is all. If you are in a busy area or on a busy shard then you'll need to be a *lot* more cautious. You will always be able to hide in your own home so drag the hiding skill out on your desktop for all your characters and always hide before you log out. People can follow you through doors, so use teleporters that are set to friend or higher if you are worried about that. If you end up getting griefed then rebuild so you have a safe room you can evac in.

I've had houses in fel for years and almost never see people around, so unless we're talking property around yew gate or next to a dungeon you'll most likely be free from incident. Just make it a habit to be a bit cautious and when something does happen you'll be ok. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something you'll want to try to avoid is getting killed while standing on a teleporter pad because doing so tends to make them nonfunctional. If that happens and you are unable to use a teleporter, customize the house. If that's not possible (e.g., you have a piece of furniture in the house that must be redeeded before you can customize and you can't get to it because of the wonky teleporter), have a character on the account that owns the house change the house foundation style. That should make the teleporter functional once again. However, it can change security settings of doors and teleporters as well, and seems to also pitch your parrots onto the grass under the house sign. Just axe the parrot perches that are still in the house and that will reunite the birdies with their perches.

You might also consider making a post on the Siege forum to ask for suggestions about designing a vendor house.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few things to look at for safety. I had a public keep in felucca for a few years and maybe banned 3 players from it. Things to keep yourself safe.
1. set a macro to detect hidden - to find stealthers 0 real skill needed.
2. set a macro to "remove thyself" and "I Ban Thee"
3. Hide before you log out - 0 hiding skill needed.
4. Double click a soul stone or fragment to see if your two minute flag timer is gone. If you are flagged you cannot log out and will be idle unattended for 5 minutes.
5. Items such as chests/hedges etc even if locked down can be lifted up and walked through. Do not count on items to keep intruders out of certain sections of the house.
6. Beware of stealers. Use forensics to see if they are part of the thieves guild (they have to be a member or they cannot steal from you) Keep atleast one tile away from unknown players.
7. Wise to have a secure container in rooms you are working in. If someone does come inside and you are holding resources, rares etc its good to have a secure stash you can drop items into quickly.
8. Being a floor above is not always safe. Some floors you can cast/attack through. You can also field floors above you if you have access to the floor below it.
9. Reason why my house is private. If opposing pvp members know where you live, its usually will be the only need to have a private house in felucca. If you don't pvp much or aren't pissing players off you should be fine.

Basically the same rules apply in the trammel style facets and felucca facets. The only difference is someone can kill you to steal what your moving around in felucca.

Also something good to note.. Even if you ban a player from a felucca house be sure you don't log out within two tiles of an outer wall (sometimes more) because you can get killed in your house in felucca whether or not someone has access to go inside.

Oooh I forgot something. Vet statues and wind chimes will alert you to players walking around in your house. I use different types of vet statues in my house to alert me on where a player is. The outer rims of my castle are sectioned off so I can tell if someone is outside! Entry way has gorilla's, skeletons at the inner doors, liches in the far north courtyard doors.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5. Items such as chests/hedges etc even if locked down can be lifted up and walked through. Do not count on items to keep intruders out of certain sections of the house.
This is a good thing to take note of. Any item you can drag with your cursor, even if it's locked down (player locked or locked down like most of the items across the world) can be dragged while someone is moving and walked over, if they block movement, or can be *poofed* off the client by the disarming trick. So locking down boxes to keep someone out of an area is not foolproof. Placing add-ons works however.

There used to be ways to get from floor to floor in a house, though they may have fixed those things by now. I know I used to do the trash barrel trick to get on the roof of my keep, but of course don't have to now thanks to ladders.